Reload this Page >

The Sydney Report (by Dekka)

Wikiposts

The Sydney Report (by Dekka)

Old Jul 2nd 2003, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Dekka's Angel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The Sydney Report (by Dekka)

Ed: God bless his heart, he typed this up and had it waiting for me this morning. It's too long, so I have to split it into two posts. Here goes:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Semi-conscious, semi-chronological order of events leading to the issuance of my US K1 Fiancé Visa

11:00 PM 30 June 2003

Arrive at Perth Airport for flight to Sydney flying Virgin Blue.

12:00 AM 30 June 2003

Flight leaves Perth pretty much on time. And so it begins.

02:00 AM 01 July 2003

Kind hostess notices a large, cramped, Aussie trying to get some sleep and offers to let me stretch out in the back row since no one else is sitting there. Tired Aussie agrees and manages to doze off.

4:30 AM 01 July 2003

The compulsory screaming kid that must be on every plane, everywhere, remembers he has a job to do and starts bellowing at the top of his lungs. So much for a nap.

6:15 AM 01 July 2003

Plane lands in Sydney. I make a mad dash for the door. It’s raining. What a surprise for Sydney.

6:45 AM 01 July 2003

After wandering around the airport terminal for a while I finally discover the train station I was told was there. I purchase an all-day return ticket to St Ives, which is the closest station to the Consulate.

After 5 minutes of watching me try to put the ticket into the wrong part of the barricade to get to the train the poor girl behind the counter comes out and says “No sir, your ticket goes in here�. Oh. OK. I will give myself the benefit of the doubt and decide this is due to tiredness, not being too nervous to think straight.

7:00 AM 01 July 2003

Train arrives. I get on. The announcements on the train are in some language other than English. It’s kinda tough to know when your stop is coming up, but from watching the route map and from watching the signs of the stations we pass before mine I manage to get off at the right place.

7:30 AM 01 July 2003

I call my Angel to let her know I’m in Sydney safe and sound. My mobile phone tells me I’m almost out of call credits so that’s something I can do once the stores open.

Hm, here I am. It’s still raining. I find a small food hall to grab a coffee and a muffin (see Mum, I did have breakfast). I sit there reading for a little while and enjoying not being rained on. Obviously most places are not open yet, so I congratulate myself on finding a guy who both runs a coffee shop and is an insomniac. The coffee is good.

After a little while I figure I might as well look at my map and sort out exactly where I need to be. I know it’s around here somewhere, after all the Train Lady said so. Hm - OK so where am I?

Let me see now. I need the MLC Centre, Level 59. Hey, what’s this? MLC Arcade? It must be that tower right there then. Hey – I’m good at this and I didn’t even know it.

8:45 AM 01 July 2003

It’s close enough now, I’m going to wander off and see if I can’t find someplace to recharge my mobile (I’m on pre-paid). So I do. Many little arcades on Pitt Street, I’m sure someone who actually likes shopping might enjoy themselves here. That hypothetical person, however, is not me.

But I find an arcade that looks promising; it has a Dick Smith Electronics sign out the front. I know they sell recharges so in I go. I find the store and settle down outside it to wait for them to open. (For those in a similar situation, its on the third floor and kinda hard to find until you know its there.)

More book reading.

9:00 AM 01 July 2003

After buying my phone recharge I head back towards the MLC Centre.

9:15 AM 01 July 2003

OK. I don’t want to be late for my interview (Ed: At 10:30 ) so I’m going to head up now. A quick smoke for the nerves, um.... I mean to help me stay awake. And a quick call to my Angel for moral support. And up I go.

First step is to find the lobby for the tower itself. This is up two flights of escalators from the food hall where I got the coffee.

After the usual security measures (empty your pockets and they run a hand held metal detector over you) the security guard guy shows me to the elevator, presses the button for the 59th floor and wishes me luck. Hm, well that wasn’t so bad. I wonder why everyone was warning me about the delays and the toughness of the security here.

I arrive. I was too confident too soon. There is a line about 20 people long at another security checkpoint. So I wait in line. The guards are moving folks as fast as they can but the line is still getting longer.

It seems that neither deafness nor cluelessness is a factor that detrimentally effects your application for a Visa as many people ignore the signs that clearly say: Turn off your mobile phone NOW, and ignore the guards saying “please have your photo ID and your appointment letter ready when you are called to the counter so we can process you faster�.

Eventually I get to the front of the line with my letter and passport in hand and my mobile phone firmly turned off. They give me a ticket for my camera since I can’t take that in with me and usher me in to the consulate with instructions to go to Counter 2.

9:45 01 July 2003

I go to Counter 2 and hand the nice lady there (who was later working Counter 3) my letter with my appointment details on it. She takes it and puts it with a pink folder behind me, and tells me to take a seat. She hands me a laminated yellow sheet with instructions about what order to have the paperwork in when I am called to the counter again. This order is NOT in the same order as Packet 4.

A moment of panic follows when I notice something that I don’t have already copied is on the list. I’m certain that Packet 4 did not include any request for any previous marriage certificates.

/shrug

Well it’s a good thing that I have it with me anyway (Ed: A certain Angel made him take it ) so no worries. I think to myself: Well, its worth the $1.90 to have them make one little copy for me, if for no other reason than I don’t have to go back out through security again. The laminated sheet of instructions tells me that they will do a limited amount of copying for me. I figure one page is pretty limited, so I relax.

I put my papers in the laminated sheet order and wait for my name to be called.

There are three women behind the counter serving, and three counters, predictably enough numbered Counters 1, 2 and 3.

Woman A is at Counter 1, Woman B is at Counter 2 and Woman C is at Counter 3. It appears that Counters 1 and 2 are checking paperwork and then referring on to Counter 3 for a final interview and visa issuance if applicable.

I sit and wait…

Last edited by Dekka's Angel; Jul 2nd 2003 at 2:11 am.
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Default The Sydney Report (by Dekka) - Part II

Ed: The Saga Continues...

---------------------------------------------------------------
10:00 AM 01 July 2003

Woman A at Counter 1 is obviously having a bad day. The whole waiting area can hear the questions that they ask you from behind the bulletproof glass, it’s on a speaker system. Her questions are getting more grousy and frustrated by the minute. She finally has enough when one person comes up to the counter with none of his paperwork copied. She sends him away in no uncertain terms to get it done.

Woman A then makes a general announcement. She tells everyone in the waiting area that they will NOT be making any copies for anyone at all. So, if you don’t have all your copies Go Away and get it done, and come back when you’re actually ready for them to do their job.

A great deal of scurrying ensues, including myself.

I collect my letter from Woman C and let her know I’ll be right back as I need to photocopy something, knowing that when I would have to go to the end of the line as I had to leave the consulate.

There is a newsagent with a photocopier down by the food court. At 30 cents a copy it’s certainly far cheaper than getting the consulate to do it, even if they were willing.

10:15 AM 01 July 2003

The photocopier in the newsagent was made before steam power was invented. It’s got to be the slowest one in the entire world. So, if you can, make sure you aren’t in a hurry.

10:45 AM 01 July 2003

I head back up again, armed with two copies of my certificate of marriage from my previous marriage, just in case.

More security, same as before, deaf and/or clueless people at the queue, same as always.

Eventually, I’m back in the waiting room. I hand my letter back over to Woman C, who tells me she knew I wouldn’t be long so she didn’t take me out of the queue. That was nice of her. I sit again and try to relax a little, waiting for them to call my name.

12:00 PM -1 July 2003

My name is called. Counter 2. Phew, I manage to dodge a bullet there by not getting the woman I know is already in a foul mood.

I get to the window and the lady asks for the paperwork I have all sorted out and in the specified order. I hand slide it under the bulletproof glass with some difficulty, due to the thickness of the Statement of Financial Support from my Angel.

They didn’t want to see my x-rays, only the medical report that was bundled up with it. So I opened the envelope, extracted the report from within it, and handed that over also.

She looks through the paperwork and gives me a new version of the DS-156 for me to fill out -- apparently I was sent the old version with my Packet 3. The lady was very helpful, and was more than happy to remove the photographs from the old version and staple them to the new version once I had filled it in. She also happily photocopies it for me, at no charge, despite the earlier comment from Woman A at Counter 1.

She says the application looked good to her and tells me to take a seat again until I am called for an interview.

1:00 PM 01 July 2003

My name is called again. To Counter 3.

Here goes nothing, I guess.

I go to the counter and speak to the same woman who was nice to me earlier by leaving me in the queue. This, too, is a good sign.

She asks me the standard questions: “You’ve been married before, what makes you think this time will be different?� “Do you have any kids?�, “Does she have any kids?�, “Do they live at home?�, “Why are you going there instead of her coming here?� and of course “Are you marrying her purely to get entry into the United States?�. She also asked me about my assets, which I told her about, but she was not interested in seeing any proof of them, even though I offered.

Presumably my responses were satisfactory because then she asked me “Do you have any questions you wanted to ask me?� “Only one, “ I said.

“Can I have a Visa please?�

She smiled and said, “Yes.�

I was then told to take a seat and they would call my name when the visa was ready for collection.

1:30 PM 01 July 2003

One last time they call my name. They hand me my Passport, with the Visa included and a big thick packet of sealed papers. They have to call me to the side door to give it to me, because it’s too thick to slide back under the glass.

I say, “Thank You very much�. I leave the consulate with a very large silly grin. I remember to collect my camera on the way out.

1:45 PM 01 July 2003

I arrive downstairs outside once again. I call my Angel to give her the good news. A little while later she is coherent once again. We chat for a while, I grab some lunch and wander around window-shopping and things until its time for me to catch the train back out to the airport.

3:30 PM 01 July 2003

Time to catch the train back out to the airport. I find my way back to the station no problems, and manage to find the right platform. It appears that it is only every third train that stops at the airport on the way back and that appears to run every 15 minutes or so. Naturally I just miss one, so I sit and wait for about 15 minutes for the next.

3:45 PM 01 July 2003

I arrive back at the airport and get my boarding pass and another coffee, and sit and wait for the plane to leave. Read and speak once more to my Angel, who graciously doesn’t complain that I called and woke her up.

6:45 PM 01 July 2003

Plane leaves and flies with no incident back to Perth where I return home just around 10:30 PM Perth time, speak to my Angel again, and crash into bed.

Short Summary of tips then:

The train is a viable method of getting from the airport to the consulate. A return pass which is valid until 4 am the next day and costs only $16.50 AUS.

Make sure all your photocopying is done in advance of arrival at the consulate.

Be prepared for a significant period of time sitting around waiting once you arrive at the consulate.

There is no additional fee to be paid at the consulate for issuance of the Fiance Visa. The post office fee is all that is required.

Sydney RAINS, take an umbrella.

They did not show any interest in my x-rays from the medical exam, only in the accompanying report.

If you take a camera with you you’ll have to leave it at security at the consulate.

There is a real possibility that you will be asked to completely re-arrange your carefully pre-arranged paperwork on arrival at the consulate.
(

Last edited by Dekka's Angel; Jul 2nd 2003 at 2:07 am.
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

mikkitango is an unknown quantity at this point

What a wonderfully written report!! Congrats again on the visa!

I was surprised by the questions you were asked - those were nothing like I was asked in Montreal - then again, there is no consistency in this process, is there? LOL

I'm glad you two will be together soon - I've enjoyed watching your story unfold here!

Mikki
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 3:03 am
Annie

Default Re: The Sydney Report (by Dekka)

Ed: The Saga Continues...

---------------------------------------------------------------

10:00 AM 01 July 2003

Woman A at Counter 1 is obviously having a bad day. The whole waiting
area can hear the questions that they ask you from behind the
bulletproof glass, it’s on a speaker system. Her questions are getting
more grousy and frustrated by the minute. She finally has enough when
one person comes up to the counter with none of his paperwork copied.
She sends him away in no uncertain terms to get it done.

Woman A then makes a general announcement. She tells everyone in the
waiting area that they will NOT be making any copies for anyone at all.
So, if you don’t have all your copies Go Away and get it done, and come
back when you’re actually ready for them to do their job.

A great deal of scurrying ensues, including myself.

I collect my letter from Woman C and let her know I’ll be right back as
I need to photocopy something, knowing that when I would have to go to
the end of the line as I had to leave the consulate.

There is a newsagent with a photocopier down by the food court. At 30
cents a copy it’s certainly far cheaper than getting the consulate to do
it, even if they were willing.

10:15 AM 01 July 2003

The photocopier in the newsagent was made before steam power was
invented. It’s got to be the slowest one in the entire world. So, if
you can, make sure you aren’t in a hurry.

10:45 AM 01 July 2003

I head back up again, armed with two copies of my certificate of
marriage from my previous marriage, just in case.

More security, same as before, deaf and/or clueless people at the queue,
same as always.

Eventually, I’m back in the waiting room. I hand my letter back over to
Woman C, who tells me she knew I wouldn’t be long so she didn’t take me
out of the queue. That was nice of her. I sit again and try to relax a
little, waiting for them to call my name.

12:00 PM -1 July 2003

My name is called. Counter 2. Phew, I manage to dodge a bullet there
by not getting the woman I know is already in a foul mood.

I get to the window and the lady asks for the paperwork I have all
sorted out and in the specified order. I hand slide it under the
bulletproof glass with some difficulty, due to the thickness of the
Statement of Financial Support from my Angel.

They didn’t want to see my x-rays, only the medical report that was
bundled up with it. So I opened the envelope, extracted the report from
within it, and handed that over also.

She looks through the paperwork and gives me a new version of the DS-156
for me to fill out -- apparently I was sent the old version with my
Packet 3. The lady was very helpful, and was more than happy to remove
the photographs from the old version and staple them to the new version
once I had filled it in. She also happily photocopies it for me, at no
charge, despite the earlier comment from Woman A at Counter 1.

She says the application looked good to her and tells me to take a seat
again until I am called for an interview.

1:00 PM 01 July 2003

My name is called again. To Counter 3.

Here goes nothing, I guess.

I go to the counter and speak to the same woman who was nice to me
earlier by leaving me in the queue. This, too, is a good sign.

She asks me the standard questions: “You’ve been married before, what
makes you think this time will be different?� “Do you have any kids?�,
“Does she have any kids?�, “Do they live at home?�, “Why are you
going
there instead of her coming here?� and of course “Are you marrying her
purely to get entry into the United States?�. She also asked me about
my assets, which I told her about, but she was not interested in seeing
any proof of them, even though I offered.

Presumably my responses were satisfactory because then she asked me “Do
you have any questions you wanted to ask me?� “Only one, “ I said.

“Can I have a Visa please?�

She smiled and said, “Yes.�

I was then told to take a seat and they would call my name when the visa
was ready for collection.

1:30 PM 01 July 2003

One last time they call my name. They hand me my Passport, with the
Visa included and a big thick packet of sealed papers. They have to
call me to the side door to give it to me, because it’s too thick to
slide back under the glass.

I say, “Thank You very much�. I leave the consulate with a very large
silly grin. I remember to collect my camera on the way out.

1:45 PM 01 July 2003

I arrive downstairs outside once again. I call my Angel to give her the
good news. A little while later she is coherent once again. We chat
for a while, I grab some lunch and wander around window-shopping and
things until its time for me to catch the train back out to the airport.

3:30 PM 01 July 2003

Time to catch the train back out to the airport. I find my way back to
the station no problems, and manage to find the right platform. It
appears that it is only every third train that stops at the airport on
the way back and that appears to run every 15 minutes or so. Naturally
I just miss one, so I sit and wait for about 15 minutes for the next.

3:45 PM 01 July 2003

I arrive back at the airport and get my boarding pass and another
coffee, and sit and wait for the plane to leave. Read and speak once
more to my Angel, who graciously doesn’t complain that I called and
woke her up.

6:45 PM 01 July 2003

Plane leaves and flies with no incident back to Perth where I return
home just around 10:30 PM Perth time, speak to my Angel again, and
crash into bed.

Short Summary of tips then:

The train is a viable method of getting from the airport to the
consulate. A return pass which is valid until 4 am the next day and
costs only $16.50 AUS.

Make sure all your photocopying is done in advance of arrival at the
consulate.

Be prepared for a significant period of time sitting around waiting once
you arrive at the consulate.

There is no additional fee to be paid at the consulate for issuance of
the Fiance Visa. The post office fee is all that is required.

Sydney RAINS, take an umbrella.

They did not show any interest in my x-rays from the medical exam, only
in the accompanying report.

If you take a camera with you you’ll have to leave it at security at the
consulate.

There is a real possibility that you will be asked to completely re-
arrange your carefully pre-arranged paperwork on arrival at the
consulate.

(

--
Dekka's Angel

Annie>>> Congratulations again. It was great to read how things went.

Old Jul 2nd 2003, 4:33 am
Tracey Bonavita

Sounds an awful lot like my experience there. I started laughing when I read
about the clueless/deaf people. They must come token with every consulate
visit (as does the one grumpy woman behind the counter) as there were both
types there on my visit. Congratulations on getting the visa!

~*Tracey*~

Old Jul 2nd 2003, 6:15 am
Dreamer

OlenkaKyiv will become famous soon enough

Congratulations about Dekka's Visa
Thank you for so detailed information.

Interesting question Dekka had was: "Why are you going there instead of her coming here?" I wonder what answer Embassy was waiting for ?

Olenka
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 11:32 am
Just Joined

Dekka is an unknown quantity at this point

OlenkaKyiv,

Im not sure what answer they were after as such but she seemed satisfied with my answer, which was along the lines of "Her kids are in school and its easier to move one person than to move her and her kids".

It was actually one we were expecting, my Angel and I had discussed this one

Hope this helps.

Derek
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

OMG my honey joined the NG.

/faint

Hi sweetie!
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 12:42 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by OlenkaKyiv
Congratulations about Dekka's Visa
Thank you for so detailed information.

Interesting question Dekka had was: "Why are you going there instead of her coming here?" I wonder what answer Embassy was waiting for ?

Olenka
Hi:

As always, the truth. Of my three rules for successful interviews [or at least ones where you don't hurt yourself], the first one is tell the truth. [My good friend Ron Tasoff says in addition -- "its easier to remember."]
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 4:13 pm
Dreamer

OlenkaKyiv will become famous soon enough

Thank you Dekka for your reply. I was curious about your answer. Nice to know that I was a reason of your post on NG

Folinskyinla, I agree with you and I guess 2 other rules are
2) tell the truth
3) tell the truth

May I hear second rule and third rule from you ? I didn't have an interview yet, so I concern about them and would like to hear this from experienced person

One of my rules is not to be nervous and keep my smile on the face like this . When we feel nervous, we can't think clearly. The fun thing, when I feel nervous, my mind is very fresh and works fast I am afraid only one thing is to see my mom who will be nervous more than me and I can talk too much during interview (it is another affect of my emotions)

Olenka
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 9:26 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by OlenkaKyiv

Folinskyinla, I agree with you and I guess 2 other rules are
2) tell the truth
3) tell the truth

May I hear second rule and third rule from you ? I didn't have an interview yet, so I concern about them and would like to hear this from experienced person

One of my rules is not to be nervous and keep my smile on the face like this . When we feel nervous, we can't think clearly. The fun thing, when I feel nervous, my mind is very fresh and works fast I am afraid only one thing is to see my mom who will be nervous more than me and I can talk too much during interview (it is another affect of my emotions)

Olenka
Hi:

Its part of a long speech -- but the short version is:

1. Tell the truth [corollary is don't guess -- "I don't know" or "I don't remember" are OK if they are true].

2. Understand the question asked. If you don't understand the question, say so -- it will be repeated in a different way.

3. Answer only the question asked and no more [this is a hard one to follow].

On YOUR rule of "don't be nervous" -- I beg to disagree -- I tell people that its perfectly OK to be nervous becuase that is the normal reaction.

The three rules are a way of dealing with the nervousness. Also, although they may result in a lack of success at an intial interview, they DO prevent doing irreparable damage -- or what I call "immigration suicide."

Also, I find that I can repeat these rules to the client in front of the Government examiner -- they help them do THEIR job.
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Waterpony has a brilliant futureWaterpony has a brilliant futureWaterpony has a brilliant futureWaterpony has a brilliant futureWaterpony has a brilliant futureWaterpony has a brilliant futureWaterpony has a brilliant future
Default OT

Originally posted by Dekka's Angel
OMG my honey joined the NG.

/faint

Hi sweetie!

Hi Angel,

Hope you have 2 computers at the house...so when Mr. D comes here, you don't have to take turns posting... (sorry, just a joke from a geek - but I'll answer any questions regarding home networks..).

Congratulations on a visa, hope I'll read POE experience VERY soon.
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Default Re: OT

Originally posted by Waterpony
Hi Angel,

Hope you have 2 computers at the house...so when Mr. D comes here, you don't have to take turns posting... (sorry, just a joke from a geek - but I'll answer any questions regarding home networks..).

Congratulations on a visa, hope I'll read POE experience VERY soon.
We both play EQ (indeed that's how we met online nearly 4 years ago now). Anyone who knows anything about EQ knows that No Way will we be long without a computer for Dekkie I already have a network set up because of my kids, so it's just a matter of hooking up another machine. He is leaving his computer behind in Oz except for his hard drive, but I have a box ready to go here that needs only......a new hard drive

We're sort of geeks too - thanks for thinking of us!

P.S. Answering Susan's query from another thread - it's looking like July 19! 11 months after we last saw each other - I cannot wait
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 12:24 pm
Shani

Congrats to you guys!!!! And thank your intended for such a
detailed report from the field (especially with the day he had!! ).

"Dekka's Angel" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Ed: God bless his heart, he typed this up and had it waiting for me
    > this morning. It's too long, so I have to split it into two posts.
    > Here goes:
    > ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    > Semi-conscious, semi-chronological order of events leading to the
    > issuance of my US K1 Fiancé Visa
    > 11:00 PM 30 June 2003
    > Arrive at Perth Airport for flight to Sydney flying Virgin Blue.
    > 12:00 AM 30 June 2003
    > Flight leaves Perth pretty much on time. And so it begins.
    > 02:00 AM 01 July 2003
    > Kind hostess notices a large, cramped, Aussie trying to get some sleep
    > and offers to let me stretch out in the back row since no one else is
    > sitting there. Tired Aussie agrees and manages to doze off.
    > 4:30 AM 01 July 2003
    > The compulsory screaming kid that must be on every plane, everywhere,
    > remembers he has a job to do and starts bellowing at the top of his
    > lungs. So much for a nap.
    > 6:15 AM 01 July 2003
    > Plane lands in Sydney. I make a mad dash for the door. It's raining.
    > What a surprise for Sydney.
    > 6:45 AM 01 July 2003
    > After wandering around the airport terminal for a while I finally
    > discover the train station I was told was there. I purchase an all-day
    > return ticket to St Ives, which is the closest station to the Consulate.
    > After 5 minutes of watching me try to put the ticket into the wrong part
    > of the barricade to get to the train the poor girl behind the counter
    > comes out and says "No sir, your ticket goes in here". Oh. OK. I will
    > give myself the benefit of the doubt and decide this is due to
    > tiredness, not being too nervous to think straight.
    > 7:00 AM 01 July 2003
    > Train arrives. I get on. The announcements on the train are in some
    > language other than English. It's kinda tough to know when your stop
    > is coming up, but from watching the route map and from watching the
    > signs of the stations we pass before mine I manage to get off at the
    > right place.
    > 7:30 AM 01 July 2003
    > I call my Angel to let her know I'm in Sydney safe and sound. My mobile
    > phone tells me I'm almost out of call credits so that's something I can
    > do once the stores open.
    > Hm, here I am. It's still raining. I find a small food hall to grab a
    > coffee and a muffin (see Mum, I did have breakfast). I sit there
    > reading for a little while and enjoying not being rained on. Obviously
    > most places are not open yet, so I congratulate myself on finding a guy
    > who both runs a coffee shop and is an insomniac. The coffee is good.
    > After a little while I figure I might as well look at my map and sort
    > out exactly where I need to be. I know it's around here somewhere,
    > after all the Train Lady said so. Hm - OK so where am I?
    > Let me see now. I need the MLC Centre, Level 59. Hey, what's this? MLC
    > Arcade? It must be that tower right there then. Hey - I'm good at this
    > and I didn't even know it.
    > 8:45 AM 01 July 2003
    > It's close enough now, I'm going to wander off and see if I can't find
    > someplace to recharge my mobile (I'm on pre-paid). So I do. Many
    > little arcades on Pitt Street, I'm sure someone who actually likes
    > shopping might enjoy themselves here. That hypothetical person,
    > however, is not me.
    > But I find an arcade that looks promising; it has a Dick Smith
    > Electronics sign out the front. I know they sell recharges so in I go.
    > I find the store and settle down outside it to wait for them to open.
    > (For those in a similar situation, its on the third floor and kinda hard
    > to find until you know its there.)
    > More book reading.
    > 9:00 AM 01 July 2003
    > After buying my phone recharge I head back towards the MLC Centre.
    > 9:15 AM 01 July 2003
    > OK. I don't want to be late for my interview (Ed: At 10:30 ) so I'm
    > going to head up now. A quick smoke for the nerves, um.... I mean to
    > help me stay awake. And a quick call to my Angel for moral support.
    > And up I go.
    > First step is to find the lobby for the tower itself. This is up two
    > flights of escalators from the food hall where I got the coffee.
    > After the usual security measures (empty your pockets and they run a
    > hand held metal detector over you) the security guard guy shows me to
    > the elevator, presses the button for the 59th floor and wishes me luck.
    > Hm, well that wasn't so bad. I wonder why everyone was warning me about
    > the delays and the toughness of the security here.
    > I arrive. I was too confident too soon. There is a line about 20
    > people long at another security checkpoint. So I wait in line. The
    > guards are moving folks as fast as they can but the line is still
    > getting longer.
    > It seems that neither deafness nor cluelessness is a factor that
    > detrimentally effects your application for a Visa as many people ignore
    > the signs that clearly say: Turn off your mobile phone NOW, and ignore
    > the guards saying "please have your photo ID and your appointment letter
    > ready when you are called to the counter so we can process you faster".
    > Eventually I get to the front of the line with my letter and passport in
    > hand and my mobile phone firmly turned off. They give me a ticket for
    > my camera since I can't take that in with me and usher me in to the
    > consulate with instructions to go to Counter 2.
    > 9:45 01 July 2003
    > I go to Counter 2 and hand the nice lady there (who was later working
    > Counter 3) my letter with my appointment details on it. She takes it
    > and puts it with a pink folder behind me, and tells me to take a seat.
    > She hands me a laminated yellow sheet with instructions about what order
    > to have the paperwork in when I am called to the counter again. This
    > order is NOT in the same order as Packet 4.
    > A moment of panic follows when I notice something that I don't have
    > already copied is on the list. I'm certain that Packet 4 did not
    > include any request for any previous marriage certificates.
    > /shrug
    > Well it's a good thing that I have it with me anyway (Ed: A certain
    > Angel made him take it ) so no worries. I think to myself: Well,
    > its worth the $1.90 to have them make one little copy for me, if for no
    > other reason than I don't have to go back out through security again.
    > The laminated sheet of instructions tells me that they will do a
    > limited amount of copying for me. I figure one page is pretty limited,
    > so I relax.
    > I put my papers in the laminated sheet order and wait for my name to
    > be called.
    > There are three women behind the counter serving, and three counters,
    > predictably enough numbered Counters 1, 2 and 3.
    > Woman A is at Counter 1, Woman B is at Counter 2 and Woman C is at
    > Counter 3. It appears that Counters 1 and 2 are checking paperwork and
    > then referring on to Counter 3 for a final interview and visa issuance
    > if applicable.
    > I sit and wait.
    > --
    > Dekka's Angel
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com