Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Support on marriage visa

Support on marriage visa

Old Jun 19th 2017, 12:30 am
Just Joined

WildRoses is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Support on marriage visa

I have been married for going on 20 years and lived in the USA for this time.

My husband has supported me, but now is out of work and I have a small job attempting to support us.

I am a little out of touch as to whether if I entered the USA on a spousal visa it means that my husband must be the sole supporter in order for the visa to remain valid?

I am not young, so excuse me if the question is a little confusing.

Thank you
Old Jun 19th 2017, 12:48 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Support on marriage visa

So you have been living in the US for twenty years since you entered on your visa?

You have presumably have had a green card the whole time and so you can continue to live and work, or not work, in the US, irrespective of what your husband is doing. You don't even need to be married to him, in fact he doesn't even need to be alive for you to continue to live in the US.

Have you considered becoming a US citizen?
Old Jun 19th 2017, 12:51 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

There is nothing that says you can't work and earn money for the household. You are fine.

Rene
Old Jun 19th 2017, 1:01 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
There is nothing that says you can't work and earn money for the household. .....
Nor that your husband must.

This is 100% not an issue.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 12:21 am
Just Joined

Thank you for the replies.

The reason I have the question is because of this statement on page 12 of the i-864 instructions. "How Long Does My Obligation as a Sponsor Continue? Your obligation to support the immigrants you are sponsoring in this affidavit of support will continue until the sponsored immigrant becomes a U.S. citizen, or can be credited with 40 qualifying quarters of work in the United States. Although 40 qualifying quarters of work (credits) generally equates to 10 years of work"...

I am neither an American Citizen nor have I worked for 10 years in the USA. So, I am still a little confused.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by WildRoses

The reason I have the question is because of this statement on page 12 of the i-864 instructions. "How Long Does My Obligation as a Sponsor Continue? Your obligation to support the immigrants you are sponsoring in this affidavit of support will continue until the sponsored immigrant becomes a U.S. citizen, or can be credited with 40 qualifying quarters of work in the United States. Although 40 qualifying quarters of work (credits) generally equates to 10 years of work"...

I am neither an American Citizen nor have I worked for 10 years in the USA. So, I am still a little confused.
Become a US citizen. Problem solved!

Honestly after 20 years, nobody is watching you, and to be blunt nobody cares!

There are somewhere between 10 and 20 million illegal aliens in the country; you are not on their radar.

Honestly, you have nothing to worry about, in respect of your immigration status and right to live in the US, and neither does your husband (in respect of you and your rights).

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 20th 2017 at 12:43 am.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 12:57 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WildRoses

It's true that your husband still has his obligation under the provisions of the I-864, since none of the conditions have yet been met to relieve him of that responsibility. But this does not mean that he has to support you financially in your day-to-day living. It means that if you received means-tested benefits (like food stamps, for example), the US government would go to him for repayment of that money.

He does not need to be the sole financial supporter for the family.

Rene
Old Jun 21st 2017, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

Thank you to you both! I shall rest easier now