Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Support group for online relationship?

Wikiposts

Support group for online relationship?

Old Aug 9th 2002, 1:42 pm
Tracy Mills

Default Support group for online relationship?

HI, I was wondering if anyone knew of an email list or a newsgroup where I could go
for some support and advice? Specifically where a spouse has a hard time adjusting
to the US?

Thanks, Tracy

Old Aug 9th 2002, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Hi,
Try this site
www.british-expats.com
(similar http to this one)
They are a very friendly bunch of ex-pats, mainly based
in the US, who will give you loads of advice, and support.
Good luck
Old Aug 10th 2002, 1:17 am
Kay Carter

Default Re: Support group for online relationship?

I dont know of any, but what a brilliant idea!

Kay (K3 in Oklahoma waiting since April 2001 for I-130, TSC)

"Tracy Mills" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > HI, I was wondering if anyone knew of an email list or a newsgroup where I could go
    > for some support and advice? Specifically where a spouse has a
hard
    > time adjusting to the US?
    > Thanks, Tracy

Old Aug 10th 2002, 4:36 am
Shannon

I agree that it would be a great idea.

Joshua and I met online in 1995 and I came over here in 2000 (for work and then AOS). It can be hard to fit in here. I especially miss seeing my family regularly even though I was not very close to them in Australia.

I think that it can be particularly hard making the transition when most of your relationship has been long distance, from the security of your respective homes, then one has to make a big leap to the new country.

Is your husband from the UK?

Shannon

Old Aug 10th 2002, 11:32 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Tracy Mills
HI, I was wondering if anyone knew of an email list or a newsgroup where I could go
for some support and advice? Specifically where a spouse has a hard time adjusting
to the US?

Thanks, Tracy
Here are some I've found helpful...

US-UK Couples-n-Families -- This Yahoo group talks about immigration issues and experiences for US-UK couples, and also provides support for the alien spouse/fiance (British expat in US, or American expat in UK). Many members seem to have met their S.O.'s online.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/us-uk_couples_n_families/

Immigration Message Board at Lovingyou.com -- This site's message boards just got revamped, so they're kind of "starting from scratch" again, as the old posts don't seem to have been archived. Still a great resource for people in online/long distance relationships who are considering or going through immigration. Open to people coming to/from countries all over the world, not just the US.
http://members.lovingyou.com/vbullet...?s=&forumid=23

Cyber Romance Message Board at Lovingyou.com -- A forum I've visited for over a year now, good place to get support for online relationships. (Like the forum above, the site's forum has just been updated, but it's very active.)
http://members.lovingyou.com/vbullet...?s=&forumid=22

Cyberconnections Message Board at Ivillage.com -- Another forum I've been posting on for over a year, it's really great bunch of people. Geared towards online relationships in general, rather than immigration, though. Weekly chats at 3pm on Sundays.
http://boards2.ivillage.com/messages/get/rlcyber89.html

I've gotten very good support and information from all of these forums, plus have made some good friends, and they are all very welcoming to new members. Check them out!

~ Jenney
Old Aug 10th 2002, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Correct me if I am wrong (or invisible)
But have I not posted an appropriate web site above
I know the web address is similar to this one but it
also known as Britnet.
Old Aug 10th 2002, 1:38 pm
Shannon

The site you mentioned was for BRITISH expats. i am not British. Also, it focuses on being "expat". I am interested in support for those from online relationships. Subtle difference, sometimes.

Old Aug 10th 2002, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shannon,
Excuse me for being confused.
I was not replying to you, I was replying to the original poster
which was Tracy.
before you come on here and start slagging someone off,
have a look at the chronology of the postings
That's the subtle difference.
Old Aug 10th 2002, 4:58 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by rogerpenycate
Correct me if I am wrong (or invisible)
But have I not posted an appropriate web site above
I know the web address is similar to this one but it also known as Britnet.
I'm not sure to whom this comment was made, but seeing as it came just after my post, I can only assume you were directing it to me??

If so, I apologize if my posting other sites gave the impression that your suggestion wasn't appropriate. I was responding to the original poster's request for sites which provide support for people coming from OLRs.

If not, then I'm sorry for taking your comment the wrong way!!

~ Jenney
Old Aug 10th 2002, 10:43 pm
Morkai Kurst

Roger

I use outlook express to read newsgroups, and this thread is not threaded at all.
There is the original post and then 6 replies under it.

Its very noticeable that very few of the britishexpats posts ever end up being
threaded correctly, you have to try and work out who exactly someone is replying to
from the context of their message since it is not obvious. Every one of your posts on
the culture shock thread appeared as a reply to the original message not the post you
were actually replying to.

Thats why people get confused. I have also noticed a regular problem of missing
messages, now wether thats my news sever or not is my problem, but if it happens to
other folks then it can also explain the confusion sometimes caused.

Having just nipped over to BritishExpats I can see why this confusion arises. They
use the typical web based message board format. If you read from a newsgroup reader
then chronological order makes not a blind bit of difference because some can reply
to an earlier post at a different time than someone replied to a different part of
the thread. Also depending on someones news server it may take a while for a message
to filter through hence you basically ignore date and times.and pay attention to the
threading.

It all depends on where you are reading it from as to how you view what your looking
at. I know the discussion about quoting and not quoting came up a while back and I
have no wish whatsoever to start it all up again. What I do wanna say is remember
that not everybody is looking at the messages in the same format so read things a
different way, if you don't say who you are replying to then its purely a guessing
game for people using newsreaders who your message was aimed at.

This post is in no way meant to cause any offence to anybody, it is merely an
expression of my possible stupidity and the way I see things, in the hope that
people might glean some understanding from my wibblings and stop getting annoyed at
each other.

Morkai

"rogerpenycate" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Shannon, Excuse me for being confused. I was not replying to you, I was replying to
    > the original poster which was Tracy. before you come on here and start slagging
    > someone off, have a look at the chronology of the postings That's the subtle
    > difference.

Old Aug 10th 2002, 11:34 pm
Squire

In article <[email protected]>, rogerpenycate
<[email protected]> writes
    >Shannon, Excuse me for being confused. I was not replying to you, I was replying to
    >the original poster which was Tracy. before you come on here and start slagging
    >someone off, have a look at the chronology of the postings That's the subtle
    >difference.

Hi Roger

At this moment on my newsreader, every follow-up post (including yours) in this
thread has been to the original poster, Tracy. Only Kay so far has had the courtesy
to attribute and quote the post she was replying to, top-posting notwithstanding.

This is not having a dig at you personally, Roger - just a comment upon the
inadequacy of the web-based newsreader you and some others are using. Less than 25%
of postings on alt.visa.us.marriage-based seem to originate from the
britishexpats.com forum, which appears to feed its internal postings onto usenet in
batches. When they appear on usenet
(i.e. to 75% of readers of this newsgroup) the order in which they appear can vary
enormously according to the propagation of news between the thousands of
news-servers across the globe.

I had a look at the britishexpats.com forum the other day, in particular its gateway
newsreader. If one wanted to quote (appropriately trimmed) from a previous posting,
it seems that the quote would include HTML graphics which is of course taboo on
usenet (other than binary groups). If there are commands to attribute and quote
properly, they weren't immediately obvious.

regards

--
squire Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. (Groucho)

Old Aug 11th 2002, 2:49 am
I'm back!

Hmm... after reading this last two posts, I went to alt.visa.us.marriage-based NG and found that NEITHER of my posts were there. However, they DO appear on the BritishExpats forum thread, which is where I posted them (as well as this one).

Anyone else have this problem?

~ Jenney

p.s. For anyone who might try to explain why this is, *please* use regular English and not techno-speak... Not everyone is on the same level when it comes to net-savvyness... Thanks ;)
Old Aug 11th 2002, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

My apologies for sounding so rude.
I was trying to do several things at once and was also on another site which is notorious for confrontation.
Somehow I got confused (must be old age) between the two
and trying to cook, wash-up, answer the phone all at the same time as my daughter was baby sitting a 2 year old.

I guess it's true that men aren't capable of doing more than
one thing at a time !!!!

Reminds me of my school reports
"Must learn to concentrate more...SEE ME !! "
Old Aug 11th 2002, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re: Support group for online relationship?

Originally posted by Squire
In article <[email protected]>, rogerpenycate
<[email protected]> writes
    >Shannon, Excuse me for being confused. I was not replying to you, I was replying to
    >the original poster which was Tracy. before you come on here and start slagging
    >someone off, have a look at the chronology of the postings That's the subtle
    >difference.

Hi Roger

At this moment on my newsreader, every follow-up post (including yours) in this
thread has been to the original poster, Tracy. Only Kay so far has had the courtesy
to attribute and quote the post she was replying to, top-posting notwithstanding.

This is not having a dig at you personally, Roger - just a comment upon the
inadequacy of the web-based newsreader you and some others are using. Less than 25%
of postings on alt.visa.us.marriage-based seem to originate from the
britishexpats.com forum, which appears to feed its internal postings onto usenet in
batches. When they appear on usenet
(i.e. to 75% of readers of this newsgroup) the order in which they appear can vary
enormously according to the propagation of news between the thousands of
news-servers across the globe.

I had a look at the britishexpats.com forum the other day, in particular its gateway
newsreader. If one wanted to quote (appropriately trimmed) from a previous posting,
it seems that the quote would include HTML graphics which is of course taboo on
usenet (other than binary groups). If there are commands to attribute and quote
properly, they weren't immediately obvious.

regards

--
squire Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. (Groucho)
You should find that the HTML and other mark up codes are stripped prior to reaching usenet. Additinally, provided people use the 'Quote' option, the message is correctly threaded when it appears on usenet. This post is an example.... Hopefully.