Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Sucessful AOS Interview

Wikiposts

Sucessful AOS Interview

Old Sep 30th 2004, 12:13 pm
round 2, ding-ding.

tortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nice
Default Sucessful AOS Interview

hi guys, just thought i'd let you all know that we went for our interview today in denver and were approved :)

the whole thing was was incredibly painless (except for the nervous wait of 30 minutes before the interview - not a bad wait though!). i didn't catch the interviewer's name, but she was very nice. we were taken into an office, which immediately put us at ease - we'd been expecting a grey windowless room, with nothing but a table and 3 chairs and a two-way mirror haha. the room was just an ordinary office - there was a window looking out over the car park. very normal.

we were asked for our ID, then sworn in.

she took one look at my folders and said 'i don't think we're going to have any problems here'.

she asked how we met, when i was proposed to, and was i surprised?

she asked to see photos and only got through 3 of them before saying that she had no doubt that our relationship was a legitimate marriage and that she was going to approve me.

she said that the way they do it now is to enter everything into their new computer system that’ll spit out a greencard, which will then be sent to me in two weeks. she said that the old way was to stamp the passport, but this system is so efficient that they don’t have to do that anymore. she said that IF i don’t get the card within a month, to make an appointment through infopass (i presume denver must have that now) and they will stamp my passport there and then.

she informed me that if i wanted to have dual citizenship, then america and england have an agreement whereby i can do that. she said this is something i may or may not want to do. i can do this in about 2 years 9 months.

the whole thing lasted about 20 minutes. she congratulated us and saw us out the door.

:)
Old Sep 30th 2004, 12:15 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sucessful AOS Interview

Excellent news, Ms. Tortoise! I have also learned that if you come armed with a gigantic binder of stuff they seem impressed right off the bat

Good for you! Another hurdle jumped. Now, go have some champagne to celebrate with hubby and get off the d*mn NG for the night!

~SecretGarden
~and Mr. Pink
Old Sep 30th 2004, 12:18 pm
round 2, ding-ding.

tortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nice

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
Excellent news, Ms. Tortoise! I have also learned that if you come armed with a gigantic binder of stuff they seem impressed right off the bat :D
absolutely - they LOVED my filing haha. i had three binder's full of information. once she looked at the binder and all the supporting documents, she just said 'ok, let's get this done... this one's going to be easy, especially compared to some of the other ones i have to do today' lol.

definitely come armed with lots of info and if you can make sure it's all beautifully filed, even better.

Good for you! Another hurdle jumped. Now, go have some champagne to celebrate with hubby and get off the d*mn NG for the night! :)

~SecretGarden
~and Mr. Pink
we've got the champers on ice for tomorrow night :D we're off to see a band tonight to let off some steam, then tomorrow we'll toast eachother and everyone who has supported us.

thanks for the congrats, SG & Mr Pink :)
Old Sep 30th 2004, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tortoise
she said that the way they do it now is to enter everything into their new computer system that’ll spit out a greencard, which will then be sent to me in two weeks. she said that the old way was to stamp the passport, but this system is so efficient that they don’t have to do that anymore. she said that IF i don’t get the card within a month, to make an appointment through infopass (i presume denver must have that now) and they will stamp my passport there and then.
Congratulations. Odd about the whole stamping thing though. How long can it take to stamp your passport? 30 seconds?? I always felt better knowing I had the stamp if the card was lost in the mail. Oh well, I'm sure it will come soon.

You have to laugh when a USCIS employee utters the words "...this system is so efficient that..."
Old Sep 30th 2004, 1:24 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

hi guys, just thought i'd let you all know that we went for our interview today in denver and were approved
Congratulations!

Ian
Old Sep 30th 2004, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Buendia is a jewel in the roughBuendia is a jewel in the roughBuendia is a jewel in the roughBuendia is a jewel in the rough

Congratulations!!! That's so great! And I have no doubt that they're impressed when they see things bound and organized... I think we have a high proportion of super organized big binder people on this NG!
Old Sep 30th 2004, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

samir1010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations, hopefully some of us will have stories like yours to tell very soon....
Old Sep 30th 2004, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

YAY! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 1st 2004, 12:48 am
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

congratulations, glad you had a easy interview.
Old Oct 1st 2004, 12:50 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Wanted to add my hearty congratulations to the others on your successful AOS.

Well done.

Rete
Old Oct 1st 2004, 1:28 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Rete
Wanted to add my hearty congratulations to the others on your successful AOS.

Well done.

Rete

Congrats Glad it all worked out for you after the first false start

Patrick
Old Oct 1st 2004, 3:43 am

maximus76 is on a distinguished road

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I wish you to have great LUCK in everything in your life!!!
And thanks for sharing your experience!

hi guys, just thought i'd let you all know that we went for our interview today in denver and were approved

the whole thing was was incredibly painless (except for the nervous wait of 30 minutes before the interview - not a bad wait though!). i didn't catch the interviewer's name, but she was very nice. we were taken into an office, which immediately put us at ease - we'd been expecting a grey windowless room, with nothing but a table and 3 chairs and a two-way mirror haha. the room was just an ordinary office - there was a window looking out over the car park. very normal.

we were asked for our ID, then sworn in.

she took one look at my folders and said 'i don't think we're going to have any problems here'.

she asked how we met, when i was proposed to, and was i surprised?

she asked to see photos and only got through 3 of them before saying that she had no doubt that our relationship was a legitimate marriage and that she was going to approve me.

she informed me that if i wanted to have dual citizenship, then america and england have an agreement whereby i can do that. she said this is something i may or may not want to do. i can do this in about 2 years 9 months.

the whole thing lasted about 20 minutes. she congratulated us and saw us out the door.

Old Oct 1st 2004, 4:02 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!
Old Oct 1st 2004, 4:15 am
round 2, ding-ding.

Originally Posted by samir1010
Congratulations, hopefully some of us will have stories like yours to tell very soon....
i really hope for that too.

thank you to everyone who has given their good wishes, it means a lot to me. i'd also like to thank all of you on this board for being supportive over the months and giving such good advice and providing a good laugh or two along the way - it's definitely kept me going :)

i'll be coming back now and again and will help out with any posts i can. if anyone wants to pm me about anything to do with interviews, etc, then please feel free to.

in the meantime i will be sending out good wishes and hoping that your cases get seen soon.

:)
Old Oct 1st 2004, 6:16 am
Stephen Gallagher

> > she informed me that if i wanted to have dual citizenship, then
    > > america and england have an agreement whereby i can do that.

Yes, you can do that. But, it's not due to any agreement
between the US and the UK, so I wonder why she would have
said it was due to some sort of agreement. Not that I'm
doubting you.

In reality, the main reason that naturalized US citizens
can have dual citizenship is because:

1) the US does not prohibit dual citizenship; and
2) many countries do not view the US naturalization
oath's renunciatory statement as having any
effect under their laws; and
3) the US does not require new citizens to go their
original countries and formally renounce their
original citizenships under the original country's
laws.

So, a British citizen who naturalizes in the US
ends up with both citizenships because British
law says that the US oath doesn't have any effect
to a person's British nationality, and the US
doesn't require a formal renunciation. It's not
because of an agreement.

Stephen Gallagher

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.