Wikiposts

Sucess in Bogota

Old Feb 12th 2004, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sucess in Bogota

WE received the visa on the 10´th of February. Basically there were no problems. We had to make a few tough decisions based on our personal situation but the process was as expected.

For those anticipating making an application soon here are some observations we made.

If the American spouse is present you can go to the first turnstile and present your visa and avoid the long line to enter the compound. As your enter the compound you proceed about 150 yards to another long line of people. Look carefully to the right and you will see a gate with a short line or maybe no line at all. This is for American citizens. I don´t know if a fiancee could use this line with out their spouse or not but I think they could. Angela went before me and made no mention of me and they let her through.

After you pass through the gate to the embassy proper, you enter a large common area. There are nineteen windows with bullet proof glass and telephones for communicating (think prison here). Window number one is yellow...it is the cashier. Windows 2-6 are green...this is where the Americans go (think green goes). Windows 7-18 are blue they are for other visa´s. Window 19 is red. I don´t know what it is for.

Windows 2-6 are to the left. Way to the left. There really isn´t much point in arriving early. First in the American citizens line will be people with appointments. Then the K visa´s will line up. In our case it was about 8:30 when we lined up. After about an hour we were called to the window. They wanted to see the appointment letter first then checked to see if you had the documents on the list. In our case we were missing the fee payment slip. This is 275,000.00 Colombian pesos ($100.00) This must be paid in the BancoColombia where they will give you a bar coded stamp. You must have this to get the visa and the cashier inside the Consulate cannot issue a barcoded stamp. If you go to the bank in the morning it takes about one hour. In our case we arrived at the bank about noon. We were there three hours. Other wise we would have been finished with day one at 11:30.

However I digress; after the initial check to be sure you have the documents, they give you a green folder with your package #3 that you presented and you wait for the interview. Two hours in our case. At this point you again approach the window. The lady behind the glass told me to give the phone to ´HER´ meaning my wife. She then very proficiently and bruskly started ripping sheets from out package. Keeping some and throwing some through the slot back at us. After the second ´unrequired document´ she inquired why we brought the extra papers. ( TWO letters from the work and bank and the police certificate from Aruba). I told her we followed the instructions from the DOS to the letter. Then pointed out that THEY had incorrectly issued a K-3 fiancee package instead of a spousal package. And that further more I knew what was needed and brought what was needed. That the extra papers were at THEIR incorrect request. No responce. She continued to rip and either stamp and put in the keeper pile or zing through the slot at the bottom of the window. I swear if she had missed the slot and hit the glass it would have shattered. After finishing and assuring that all documents were there, she told us to get the payment at the BancoColombia and bring the Colombian passport along with the payment barcode to the cashiers window. She added that if I hurried we could pick up the visa the next day after three.

She gave me two pink slips...one for reentry that day and one for reentry the next day to pick up the visa. Don´t lose them. I saw an unhappy woman denied and the guard showed her my pink slip and away she went.

We returned at five after three and saw the people picking up their visas. They call your name and you proceed to the window and two minutes later away you go. The visa stapled to the mysterious brown envelope.

In summary, there is no point in arriving early the first day as people with appointments will be called first then you get it line. No point in arriving early the second day as they call your name.

The hotel Feria is walking distance from the consulate and is about $70.00 per night. This includes a greak breakfast. Ask for the embassy discount.

Change your dollars at the bank. they give $2,850.00 pesos/dollar. The hotel gives $2,400.00.

Block out a half day to visit the Salt Cathedral. Also the gold museum and the church at the top of the mountain are great.
Old Feb 12th 2004, 2:33 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sucess in Bogota

Congratulations!! :-))

Rene
Old Feb 15th 2004, 3:26 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, Tony. You've waited a long time for this day. I wish you guys nothing but happiness.

Leslie

Originally posted by lpdiver
WE received the visa on the 10´th of February. Basically there were no problems. We had to make a few tough decisions based on our personal situation but the process was as expected.

For those anticipating making an application soon here are some observations we made.

If the American spouse is present you can go to the first turnstile and present your visa and avoid the long line to enter the compound. As your enter the compound you proceed about 150 yards to another long line of people. Look carefully to the right and you will see a gate with a short line or maybe no line at all. This is for American citizens. I don´t know if a fiancee could use this line with out their spouse or not but I think they could. Angela went before me and made no mention of me and they let her through.

After you pass through the gate to the embassy proper, you enter a large common area. There are nineteen windows with bullet proof glass and telephones for communicating (think prison here). Window number one is yellow...it is the cashier. Windows 2-6 are green...this is where the Americans go (think green goes). Windows 7-18 are blue they are for other visa´s. Window 19 is red. I don´t know what it is for.

Windows 2-6 are to the left. Way to the left. There really isn´t much point in arriving early. First in the American citizens line will be people with appointments. Then the K visa´s will line up. In our case it was about 8:30 when we lined up. After about an hour we were called to the window. They wanted to see the appointment letter first then checked to see if you had the documents on the list. In our case we were missing the fee payment slip. This is 275,000.00 Colombian pesos ($100.00) This must be paid in the BancoColombia where they will give you a bar coded stamp. You must have this to get the visa and the cashier inside the Consulate cannot issue a barcoded stamp. If you go to the bank in the morning it takes about one hour. In our case we arrived at the bank about noon. We were there three hours. Other wise we would have been finished with day one at 11:30.

However I digress; after the initial check to be sure you have the documents, they give you a green folder with your package #3 that you presented and you wait for the interview. Two hours in our case. At this point you again approach the window. The lady behind the glass told me to give the phone to ´HER´ meaning my wife. She then very proficiently and bruskly started ripping sheets from out package. Keeping some and throwing some through the slot back at us. After the second ´unrequired document´ she inquired why we brought the extra papers. ( TWO letters from the work and bank and the police certificate from Aruba). I told her we followed the instructions from the DOS to the letter. Then pointed out that THEY had incorrectly issued a K-3 fiancee package instead of a spousal package. And that further more I knew what was needed and brought what was needed. That the extra papers were at THEIR incorrect request. No responce. She continued to rip and either stamp and put in the keeper pile or zing through the slot at the bottom of the window. I swear if she had missed the slot and hit the glass it would have shattered. After finishing and assuring that all documents were there, she told us to get the payment at the BancoColombia and bring the Colombian passport along with the payment barcode to the cashiers window. She added that if I hurried we could pick up the visa the next day after three.

She gave me two pink slips...one for reentry that day and one for reentry the next day to pick up the visa. Don´t lose them. I saw an unhappy woman denied and the guard showed her my pink slip and away she went.

We returned at five after three and saw the people picking up their visas. They call your name and you proceed to the window and two minutes later away you go. The visa stapled to the mysterious brown envelope.

In summary, there is no point in arriving early the first day as people with appointments will be called first then you get it line. No point in arriving early the second day as they call your name.

The hotel Feria is walking distance from the consulate and is about $70.00 per night. This includes a greak breakfast. Ask for the embassy discount.

Change your dollars at the bank. they give $2,850.00 pesos/dollar. The hotel gives $2,400.00.

Block out a half day to visit the Salt Cathedral. Also the gold museum and the church at the top of the mountain are great.
Old Feb 15th 2004, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

utopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the rough

First of all, felicidades, Tony! You must be walking on air.
Second of all, what did they ask her at the interview? It doesn't sound like they asked her any questions about your relationship? Does your wife speak English? Did they test your ability to speak Spanish? My wife is going to want to know all this in excruciating detail. She will be thrilled to hear that you got the visa and all is well. And I am thrilled too. Did you have to have an appointment or could you just go any day between Monday and Thursday at 7 am as long as you had received the packet and had all your documents in order?

Old Feb 15th 2004, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

dutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats...
Old Feb 15th 2004, 10:00 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Many many congrats.
Old Feb 15th 2004, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold

Congrats LP! Way to go man.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

They asked very few and very simple questions. Where were you married? When were you married. Is this your husband? They are more interested in the documents than anything else. My wife speaks english but has great difficulty in understanding English spoken in a normal (fast) manner. Her questions were asked in Spanish. Just show up...no appointment needed. Just make sure to pay the fee $100.00 U.S. ($275,000.00 pesos) at the BancoColombia and get the barcode. Tell your wife not to worry about language requirements. They will gladly interview her in Spanish. It's not real good Spanish but Angela was able to understand it.

Originally posted by utopiacowboy
First of all, felicidades, Tony! You must be walking on air.
Second of all, what did they ask her at the interview? It doesn't sound like they asked her any questions about your relationship? Does your wife speak English? Did they test your ability to speak Spanish? My wife is going to want to know all this in excruciating detail. She will be thrilled to hear that you got the visa and all is well. And I am thrilled too. Did you have to have an appointment or could you just go any day between Monday and Thursday at 7 am as long as you had received the packet and had all your documents in order?
Old Feb 19th 2004, 3:03 am
BE Enthusiast

utopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the rough

Muchas gracias, mi amigo! I hope all is well with you and Angela. You have helped all the other Colombian couples following you very much with your postings. My wife had to read your earlier posting for herself so I watched her on the webcam for 30 minutes and helped her with various words and expressions while she deciphered it. Again, thank you, sir, and best wishes to you both.

They asked very few and very simple questions. Where were you married? When were you married. Is this your husband? They are more interested in the documents than anything else. My wife speaks english but has great difficulty in understanding English spoken in a normal (fast) manner. Her questions were asked in Spanish. Just show up...no appointment needed. Just make sure to pay the fee $100.00 U.S. ($275,000.00 pesos) at the BancoColombia and get the barcode. Tell your wife not to worry about language requirements. They will gladly interview her in Spanish. It's not real good Spanish but Angela was able to understand it.