Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Successful interview at Mumbai, am In US:):)

Successful interview at Mumbai, am In US:):)

Old Feb 11th 2004, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

purvi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Successful interview at Mumbai, am In US:):)

Hello everyone,
Am late in posting my interview at mumbai, but here it goes....

My interview was on 4th feb at Mumbai. in the appointment letter was told to reach at 8.15 but i reached there early at 7, it helped cos there was a long line, and the earlier u r in the line, the sooner ur turn comes.

Stood in the line for around 40 mins, then we were all asked to show our appointment letter and go in.
They dont allow u take bags with zip on it, i was carrying all my files and paper work in a zipped bag !
Luckily i had a huge plastic bag also, so i stuffed all my stuff in it and had to leave the bag outside.
once i went it, had to pay the demand draft of Rs. 15, 410. was given a receipt for it,
then was asked to take a seat.
after around 35 mins my name was called and i was asked to go -to window 11, i took all my stuff and went to the person there.
She asked me who was petioning for me, his relationship to me and how long we knew each other,
then she asked for the I-130 form, a copy of my marriage cert, copy of my birth certifcate, original passport, affidavit of support and supporting docs, my medical report ( didnt ask for the x-ray tho) and police cert.
she also asked to me give 3 pics ( 3/4th frontal view ones) and i had to sign on one of those.
she then asked me to wait for a while, returned to the seat and waited
in another hour or so, i was called to another room, in which again there were 2 people behind window,
they asked me in which language i wanted to be interviewed.
afterwards i was asked to put my right hand up and swear that i am speaking the truth .
Questions asked were:
-What is ur relationship with the petitioner?
- How long do you know him?
- Was it an arranged or love marriage?
- Was then asked to show them the marriage album, was asked where the marriage took place and how many people had attended.
- Did my husband live alone or with family? does he support anyone else financially?
- what were my qualifications and what i plan to do once i go there.

Then she smiled and said that all my papers were in order and my visa is granted. She asked me to come at 4 to collect my passport and the visa, was really relieved and happy

Came back at 4 and collected my passport and the sealed yellow envelope. on top a certificate was attached which had details like my name, address, passport no and a signed pic of me.

I had booked my air ticket for 5th night and landed at newark airport on 6th feb at 2 pm. at immigration, i was asked by the officer, my place of birth, how long we were married and was asked to go with an officer in an office.
over there, she took the yellow envelope and made me sign at 2 places and took my finger prints at 2 places on a form,
She stamped my passport - with my conditional green card no, valid for 2 years and said that i wuld get my green card in mail within 10-12 months!!! i thought that was long... i asked if i can travel outside US with the stamp in my passport or do i have to wait for the actual green card, she said its fine to travel.
cleared the customs and met my husband who had come with flowers was so happy to be with him again

So thats the story... have typed really fast, hope it makes sense!
Another thing.. for people doing their medicals at Mumbai, if u r short or far sighted, do take ur glasses with u, or a prescription of ur eye doc, otherwise u will have to go and get ur glasses/prescription.

Wuld be applying for my SSN on this friday, hope to get it soon so that i can start working!!!!
Old Feb 11th 2004, 7:14 am
dave w

Default Re: Successful interview at Mumbai, am In US:):)

congratulations on your wonderful news

Originally posted by purvi
Hello everyone,
Am late in posting my interview at mumbai, but here it goes....

My interview was on 4th feb at Mumbai. in the appointment letter was told to reach at 8.15 but i reached there early at 7, it helped cos there was a long line, and the earlier u r in the line, the sooner ur turn comes.

Stood in the line for around 40 mins, then we were all asked to show our appointment letter and go in.
They dont allow u take bags with zip on it, i was carrying all my files and paper work in a zipped bag !
Luckily i had a huge plastic bag also, so i stuffed all my stuff in it and had to leave the bag outside.
once i went it, had to pay the demand draft of Rs. 15, 410. was given a receipt for it,
then was asked to take a seat.
after around 35 mins my name was called and i was asked to go -to window 11, i took all my stuff and went to the person there.
She asked me who was petioning for me, his relationship to me and how long we knew each other,
then she asked for the I-130 form, a copy of my marriage cert, copy of my birth certifcate, original passport, affidavit of support and supporting docs, my medical report ( didnt ask for the x-ray tho) and police cert.
she also asked to me give 3 pics ( 3/4th frontal view ones) and i had to sign on one of those.
she then asked me to wait for a while, returned to the seat and waited
in another hour or so, i was called to another room, in which again there were 2 people behind window,
they asked me in which language i wanted to be interviewed.
afterwards i was asked to put my right hand up and swear that i am speaking the truth .
Questions asked were:
-What is ur relationship with the petitioner?
- How long do you know him?
- Was it an arranged or love marriage?
- Was then asked to show them the marriage album, was asked where the marriage took place and how many people had attended.
- Did my husband live alone or with family? does he support anyone else financially?
- what were my qualifications and what i plan to do once i go there.

Then she smiled and said that all my papers were in order and my visa is granted. She asked me to come at 4 to collect my passport and the visa, was really relieved and happy

Came back at 4 and collected my passport and the sealed yellow envelope. on top a certificate was attached which had details like my name, address, passport no and a signed pic of me.

I had booked my air ticket for 5th night and landed at newark airport on 6th feb at 2 pm. at immigration, i was asked by the officer, my place of birth, how long we were married and was asked to go with an officer in an office.
over there, she took the yellow envelope and made me sign at 2 places and took my finger prints at 2 places on a form,
She stamped my passport - with my conditional green card no, valid for 2 years and said that i wuld get my green card in mail within 10-12 months!!! i thought that was long... i asked if i can travel outside US with the stamp in my passport or do i have to wait for the actual green card, she said its fine to travel.
cleared the customs and met my husband who had come with flowers was so happy to be with him again

So thats the story... have typed really fast, hope it makes sense!
Another thing.. for people doing their medicals at Mumbai, if u r short or far sighted, do take ur glasses with u, or a prescription of ur eye doc, otherwise u will have to go and get ur glasses/prescription.

Wuld be applying for my SSN on this friday, hope to get it soon so that i can start working!!!!

Old Feb 11th 2004, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

dutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations....
Old Feb 11th 2004, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

colinlieu is an unknown quantity at this point

CONGRATS!!!! It's awesome! Enjoy your time here! And keep in touch

M.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

sunil is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations!!!
Old Feb 13th 2004, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

IMhp is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations! Welcome to US.

Let me know if you have to filed I765 or I-485.