Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Success: Received IR1 Visa and I-551 stamp in Passport

Wikiposts

Success: Received IR1 Visa and I-551 stamp in Passport

Old Jun 24th 2005, 8:21 am
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Success: Received IR1 Visa and I-551 stamp in Passport

K3/K4 to permanent resident.

Hi to those interested in the end of our journey....until Citizenship that is!!

My son and I flew over from Chicago to UK on 12th June for medical in London on June 13th. Our IR1 and IR2 interview at the Embassy was on Friday 17th. We travelled down to London on the 16th and stayed the night at a cheap hotel. We collected the results of our medical and x rays on Thursday at 4PM. Our interview was on Friday at 9am and we were there waiting in line with others with interview times. When we were allowed in we went to get a ticket and ours was no 4 (for immigrant . There seemed to be many more for non immigrant visas and interrviews. There were screens to watch the progress of each number.

We were only waiting for about 30 minutes when our turn came. We took all our paperwork to the ikiosk and a nice guy checked through it all and put both mine and my sons in order. He then said everything was fine and to take a seat and wait for our names to be called. Just one thing to mention here. My son is 20 and they asked him to sign a form to say he agrees to selective service. My son had already done that when he came in on a K4 in March 2004. Apparently he didn't have to do it at that time as the K4 is a NON immigrant visa and the I-130 is an immigrant visa. Only people with an immigrant visa needs to sign for selective service. At least that is what this guy said to my son.

After about 15 minutes our names were called and we went to a different area where the consular officers were. At our kiosk the Con Off asked us to raise our right hand and say that to the best of our knowlegde all the information was correct, which we did. He than said that everything was in order and explained whilch line to go to at the POE...which is the visitors line and then secondary inspection. He than said "Welcome to America" and I felt a big lump in my throat and went all emotional!! e told us our passports would be back with us on Tuesday which worried me a bit as we were flying back to the US on Wednesday.

We then went to the courier service and lined up to give our details. They said they would process the passport as soon as they received them. We then left the US Embassy, seeing Ozzie Osbourne leaving at the same time! We went to have a cup of coffee and then headed back to the Midlands to wait for our passports. Only then would I feel ok... no, I'd only feel ok once we entered the US and got our stamp, No, I'll only feel ok once I receive our green card in the Mail!!

We received our passports really fast, the next morning Saturday at 10am. That was impresive. We flew back into Chicago on Wednesday and it was just as easy. We lined up at the visitors line, had checked everything and then we were told to wait for another officer who would process our paperwork. So we sat next to a few other people waiting to do the same. When we saw an immigration officer about 20 minutes later they took our fingerprints, the old fashioned way with ink, twice, and asked us to sign next to our fingerprints. The immigration officer then stamped our passports with a stamp which I assume is the I-551 and that was that. We were given a piece of paper with information on what to do if we didn't receive our green card and that was it, we were on our way.

We came home and now it's just a matter of waiting. I don't know when we will get our green cards. The Con Off in the Embassy in London said they would take about 4 weeks and the immigration officer at Chicago POE said it could take 3-6 months to arrive. So it's the waiting game again!

I am just releived that for now it is over and done with... for 2 years and 9 months anyway!

To Hawkslayer: Thanks for your words of encouragement. They were well needed.

To Cindyabs: How are you doing with your process? It can't be long for you both now.

Best wishes to everyone

Maggie
Old Jun 24th 2005, 8:31 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Success: Received IR1 Visa and I-551 stamp in Passport

Congratulations, Maggie!

Rene
Old Jun 24th 2005, 8:41 am
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Renee, it's been a long 2 years! Maggie

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Congratulations, Maggie!

Rene
Old Jun 24th 2005, 8:58 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maggs
Thanks Renee, it's been a long 2 years! Maggie

HUZZAH, and other similiar words of congratulation and jubilation and a small bit of envy!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm pleased your journey is done my dear.

Us?We're waiting to hear back from London, sigh. Not as speedy as the K3 was is it?!
Old Jun 24th 2005, 9:05 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

My son and I flew over from Chicago to UK on 12th June for medical in London on June 13th. Our IR1 and IR2 interview at the Embassy was on Friday 17th. We travelled down to London on the 16th and stayed the night at a cheap hotel. We collected the results of our medical and x rays on Thursday at 4PM. Our interview was on Friday at 9am and we were there waiting in line with others with interview times. When we were allowed in we went to get a ticket and ours was no 4 (for immigrant . There seemed to be many more for non immigrant visas and interrviews. There were screens to watch the progress of each number.

We were only waiting for about 30 minutes when our turn came. We took all our paperwork to the ikiosk and a nice guy checked through it all and put both mine and my sons in order. He then said everything was fine and to take a seat and wait for our names to be called. Just one thing to mention here. My son is 20 and they asked him to sign a form to say he agrees to selective service. My son had already done that when he came in on a K4 in March 2004. Apparently he didn't have to do it at that time as the K4 is a NON immigrant visa and the I-130 is an immigrant visa. Only people with an immigrant visa needs to sign for selective service. At least that is what this guy said to my son.

After about 15 minutes our names were called and we went to a different area where the consular officers were. At our kiosk the Con Off asked us to raise our right hand and say that to the best of our knowlegde all the information was correct, which we did. He than said that everything was in order and explained whilch line to go to at the POE...which is the visitors line and then secondary inspection. He than said "Welcome to America" and I felt a big lump in my throat and went all emotional!! e told us our passports would be back with us on Tuesday which worried me a bit as we were flying back to the US on Wednesday.

We then went to the courier service and lined up to give our details. They said they would process the passport as soon as they received them. We then left the US Embassy, seeing Ozzie Osbourne leaving at the same time! We went to have a cup of coffee and then headed back to the Midlands to wait for our passports. Only then would I feel ok... no, I'd only feel ok once we entered the US and got our stamp, No, I'll only feel ok once I receive our green card in the Mail!!

We received our passports really fast, the next morning Saturday at 10am. That was impresive. We flew back into Chicago on Wednesday and it was just as easy. We lined up at the visitors line, had checked everything and then we were told to wait for another officer who would process our paperwork. So we sat next to a few other people waiting to do the same. When we saw an immigration officer about 20 minutes later they took our fingerprints, the old fashioned way with ink, twice, and asked us to sign next to our fingerprints. The immigration officer then stamped our passports with a stamp which I assume is the I-551 and that was that. We were given a piece of paper with information on what to do if we didn't receive our green card and that was it, we were on our way.

We came home and now it's just a matter of waiting. I don't know when we will get our green cards. The Con Off in the Embassy in London said they would take about 4 weeks and the immigration officer at Chicago POE said it could take 3-6 months to arrive. So it's the waiting game again!

I am just releived that for now it is over and done with... for 2 years and 9 months anyway!

To Hawkslayer: Thanks for your words of encouragement. They were well needed.

To Cindyabs: How are you doing with your process? It can't be long for you both now.

Best wishes to everyone

Maggie

Hi:

Congratulations. However, aren't you going to tell us about your coffee with Ozzy?
Old Jun 24th 2005, 9:10 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Maggie,

Congratulations! I also hope things go as well for Cindy when her husband's turn gets here.

Regards, JEff

Best wishes to everyone

Maggie
Old Jun 24th 2005, 11:32 am
Mummy and baby 1982

Hi Cindy

Thank you so much. Your turn will be here quickly enough. By the way, I forgot to take my birth certificate and my marriage certificate. We flew on a saturday and both certificates were in the safety deposit box in the bank!! You can imagine my panic! My hubby fed exed it to my sisters address and it arrived on the wednesday before the interview. Phew!! Thanks again.

Maggie

Originally Posted by cindyabs
HUZZAH, and other similiar words of congratulation and jubilation and a small bit of envy!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm pleased your journey is done my dear.

Us?We're waiting to hear back from London, sigh. Not as speedy as the K3 was is it?!

Last edited by Maggs; Jun 24th 2005 at 12:05 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2005, 11:33 am
Mummy and baby 1982

Hi Mr F.
Thank you. Ha Ha... it did look like we went for coffee with him! Unfortunately he was with two others who were helping him find his way out of the building! So me and my son just went on our own!

Maggie

QUOTE=Folinskyinla]Hi:

Congratulations. However, aren't you going to tell us about your coffee with Ozzy?[/QUOTE]
Old Jun 24th 2005, 11:34 am
Mummy and baby 1982

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Maggie,

Congratulations! I also hope things go as well for Cindy when her husband's turn gets here.

Regards, JEff
Hi JEff

Thanks very much. I'm sure Cindy and her hubby's turn will be here in no time. There is all the waiting and then it's time to get going!

Maggie
Old Jun 24th 2005, 11:42 am
Hawkslayer

"Maggs" <member11127@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
    > K3/K4 to permanent resident.
    > Hi to those interested in the end of our journey....until
    > Citizenship that is!!
    > My son and I flew over from Chicago to UK on 12th June for medical in
    > London on June 13th. Our IR1 and IR2 interview at the Embassy was on
    > Friday 17th. We travelled down to London on the 16th and stayed the
    > night at a cheap hotel. We collected the results of our medical and x
    > rays on Thursday at 4PM. Our interview was on Friday at 9am and we were
    > there waiting in line with others with interview times. When we were
    > allowed in we went to get a ticket and ours was no 4 (for immigrant .
    > There seemed to be many more for non immigrant visas and interrviews.
    > There were screens to watch the progress of each number.
    > We were only waiting for about 30 minutes when our turn came. We took
    > all our paperwork to the ikiosk and a nice guy checked through it all
    > and put both mine and my sons in order. He then said everything was
    > fine and to take a seat and wait for our names to be called. Just one
    > thing to mention here. My son is 20 and they asked him to sign a form
    > to say he agrees to selective service. My son had already done that
    > when he came in on a K4 in March 2004. Apparently he didn't have to do
    > it at that time as the K4 is a NON immigrant visa and the I-130 is an
    > immigrant visa. Only people with an immigrant visa needs to sign for
    > selective service. At least that is what this guy said to my son.
    > After about 15 minutes our names were called and we went to a different
    > area where the consular officers were. At our kiosk the Con Off asked
    > us to raise our right hand and say that to the best of our knowlegde all
    > the information was correct, which we did. He than said that everything
    > was in order and explained whilch line to go to at the POE...which is
    > the visitors line and then secondary inspection. He than said "Welcome
    > to America" and I felt a big lump in my throat and went all emotional!!
    > e told us our passports would be back with us on Tuesday which worried
    > me a bit as we were flying back to the US on Wednesday.
    > We then went to the courier service and lined up to give our details.
    > They said they would process the passport as soon as they received them.
    > We then left the US Embassy, seeing Ozzie Osbourne leaving at the same
    > time! We went to have a cup of coffee and then headed back to the
    > Midlands to wait for our passports. Only then would I feel ok... no,
    > I'd only feel ok once we entered the US and got our stamp, No, I'll only
    > feel ok once I receive our green card in the Mail!!
    > We received our passports really fast, the next morning Saturday at
    > 10am. That was impresive. We flew back into Chicago on Wednesday and it
    > was just as easy. We lined up at the visitors line, had checked
    > everything and then we were told to wait for another officer who would
    > process our paperwork. So we sat next to a few other people waiting to
    > do the same. When we saw an immigration officer about 20 minutes later
    > they took our fingerprints, the old fashioned way with ink, twice, and
    > asked us to sign next to our fingerprints. The immigration officer then
    > stamped our passports with a stamp which I assume is the I-551 and that
    > was that. We were given a piece of paper with information on what to do
    > if we didn't receive our green card and that was it, we were on our way.
    > We came home and now it's just a matter of waiting. I don't know when
    > we will get our green cards. The Con Off in the Embassy in London
    > said they would take about 4 weeks and the immigration officer at
    > Chicago POE said it could take 3-6 months to arrive. So it's the
    > waiting game again!
    > I am just releived that for now it is over and done with... for 2 years
    > and 9 months anyway!
    > To Hawkslayer: Thanks for your words of encouragement. They were
    > well needed.
    > To Cindyabs: How are you doing with your process? It can't be long for
    > you both now.
    > Best wishes to everyone
    > Maggie
    > --
    > Maggs
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Great News Maggs!!! So pleased that everything went right for you. I
received my green card twentyfive days after the interview in London. So I
wouldn't think you'll have long to wait for yours.

Alfie..

Old Jun 24th 2005, 11:57 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Very cool, Maggie! Sounds like it was a great, if whirlwind, trip. Congratulations on your new status!
Old Jun 24th 2005, 11:57 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

He than said "Welcome to America" and I felt a big lump in my throat and went all emotional!
Congratulations! Wonderful news.

Ian
Old Jun 24th 2005, 12:08 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Thanks Meauxna and Ian. Yes it was a whirlwind trip. I helped my daughter move flats and also made a visit to my Mum and Dad in Wales and visits to my old friends! I don't quite know where the time went! Glad it's all over for a while.

Maggie

Originally Posted by meauxna
Very cool, Maggie! Sounds like it was a great, if whirlwind, trip. Congratulations on your new status!
Old Jun 24th 2005, 12:15 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

When we saw an immigration officer about 20 minutes later they took our fingerprints, the old fashioned way with ink, twice, and asked us to sign next to our fingerprints. The immigration officer then stamped our passports with a stamp which I assume is the I-551 and that was that. We were given a piece of paper with information on what to do if we didn't receive our green card and that was it, we were on our way.

Hi:

In reading your post again I noticed you repeat a common misonception -- which minor -- but the pedantic part of me will comment --

The stamp in the passport is NOT the "I-551". Form I-551 is the actual alien registration card itself -- IOW, the "green card" is form I-551. The stamp in the passport is in lieu of the I-551.

BTW, the time for receipt of the I-551 seems to be quicker these days. However, do note that the passport stamp is the legal equivalent, so no need to worry.

BTW, in your description of the fingerprinting process, I am curious -- how MANY cards did each of you do. The I-551 is generated off of the I-89 card which has ONE "tap" fingerprint and one signature. It is placed in a metal holder with cut-outs for the fingerprint and signature. It is usally done on both sides to insure that at least one is correct and acceptable. Did they also do the FULL card with the 10 "rolled" individual fingerprints and then the entire set of fingers at the bottom taken for each hand togehter?

Since I am a US Citizen, I've never been in "secondary inspection" and I rely on the reports of people like you as to what happens there.

Last edited by Folinskyinla; Jun 24th 2005 at 12:21 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2005, 12:33 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Hi Mr F

You are absolutely right. Being pedantic is not a fault to my way of thinking...especialy in your line of work! There is nothing on the stamp that says I-551. I did wonder about it and your explanation makes it clearer now. There is wording on the IR1 visa that says once it has been endorsed (by the stamp) it is a temporary equivalent to the I-551 and good for a year. I am presuming the green card will be a 10 year card when it arrives as we don't have any conditions.

As to the fingerprints. Again you are right. We did two index fingers and two signatures, one side first and then reversed of the other side (same index finger) of the form in exactly the way you described with the metal cover with cutouts for the signature and the fingerprint. I did wonder about that too, why doing it twice was necessary but my tongue disappeared with the awe of getting through the POE successfully, so I didn't ask! Quite unusual for me not to ask questions! We did not have to do all 10 fingerprints.

Glad to be of help in describing our experiences.

Maggie

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

In reading your post again I noticed you repeat a common misonception -- which minor -- but the pedantic part of me will comment --

The stamp in the passport is NOT the "I-551". Form I-551 is the actual alien registration card itself -- IOW, the "green card" is form I-551. The stamp in the passport is in lieu of the I-551.

BTW, the time for receipt of the I-551 seems to be quicker these days. However, do note that the passport stamp is the legal equivalent, so no need to worry.

BTW, in your description of the fingerprinting process, I am curious -- how MANY cards did each of you do. The I-551 is generated off of the I-89 card which has ONE "tap" fingerprint and one signature. It is placed in a metal holder with cut-outs for the fingerprint and signature. It is usally done on both sides to insure that at least one is correct and acceptable. Did they also do the FULL card with the 10 "rolled" individual fingerprints and then the entire set of fingers at the bottom taken for each hand togehter?

Since I am a US Citizen, I've never been in "secondary inspection" and I rely on the reports of people like you as to what happens there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.