Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

submitting I-131 in a different state or length of CIA check in NYC

Wikiposts

submitting I-131 in a different state or length of CIA check in NYC

Old May 2nd 2002, 6:40 am
Netcomrade

Default submitting I-131 in a different state or length of CIA check in NYC

We had our interview back on Feb. 12th, where we had our passport stamped, and told
to wait for 'CIA' check to get the green card.

Our old Advanced Parole expired April 17th, and we need to travel in early July.

Since we live in NYC, looks like processing times here are 90 days. We don't know
whether it takes sooner if we are repeat applicants. In nearby Newark, NJ, it takes 1
day (as reported by immigration.com) to process an i-131, we were wondering if
anybody had success walking in into a different INS office from their own and
obtaining AP there. Do we have to change our address entirely for this? Can I just
claim we leave at my friend's place?

When we were at the interview back in Feb 12, we were told that CIA check would take
an extra 2-3 months. Well, it's already been almost 3 months since then, does anybody
know how long it actually takes?

Thanx.

Old May 2nd 2002, 8:09 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: submitting I-131 in a different state or length of CIA check in NYC

You cannot cross the Hudson River and walk into the INS Newark's office and ask them to process and advance parole for you. Unfortunately, you are not in their jurisdiction.

You do, however, have the right to go to 26 Federal Plaza in New York City and ask about your status at the 3rd floor information desk. You can also bring along a new I-131 and photographs and if your status is still pending, ask about being allowed up to the appropriate floor to have a new A/P issued because you are scheduled to travel.

Good Luck
Old May 2nd 2002, 8:10 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: submitting I-131 in a different state or length of CIA check in NYC

PS .... Get your political representative's immigration liaison involved. Not Hillary though. She is worthless in this area. Try one of the House Reps. Ours had a great immigration liaison office.