Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

strange medical - Frankfurt

strange medical - Frankfurt

Old Jun 14th 2002, 1:20 pm
Kacey

Default strange medical - Frankfurt

Hi to all...

My fiance just got home from his medical exam in Frankfurt. He was told some strange
things, and I'd just like to see if anyone else has been through this.

1. He was handed a piece of paper at the end of the exam indicating which
immunizations he still needed. They did not even offer to give these to him
there. He was told that he needed to take that piece of paper to his local
doctor, get the shots (3 in total), and then have that doctor forward the letter
back to the doctor in Frankfurt, indicating that the shots have been given. The
Frankfurt doctor said they will NOT send his medical results to the consulate
until they have received confirmation that he has had those shots. When Basri
asked if he had the option to have the shots done in the US, he was told NO.

2. One of the shots that he needs is rubella. Pretty standard immunization - we
expected he would need that one. The other...I don't recall the exact name he
told me...varcem (or something like that)...is a two shot series. And he was told
that this shot is not even required or offered in the US, and that is why he has
to have it prior to his interview in Germany. This sounds fishy to me. Why would
he have to have this when it is not required by the US?

3. He was given an envelope with his x-ray in it. It is not sealed. He was told that
he had to take this to the airport with him. That he would not be allowed on the
plane until he gave them this x-ray. Does this seem normal? I don't recall ever
seeing anything about this before.

I'm ready for this roller coaster ride to end!

Old Jun 14th 2002, 4:20 pm
Ranjini

Default Re: strange medical - Frankfurt

Yes, it's somewhat unusual. I didn't even bring my xray with me to the US. I was told
it was all there in the "mysterious brown envelope" in the form of a microfilm. I
hope someone who has been through Frankfurt can clarify this strange information. In
the meantime I think you need to rationalize here. He should follow the doctors
instructions. (He could try contacting the consulate and seeking clarification).
(1) Go to his own doctor and get the required immunizations, as instructed.
(2) Maybe he should complete the required vaccinations in Frankfurt. It may be for
the best in the long run. It's going to take, maybe, a couple of weeks. And yes,
they won't send his medical results to the consulate until he has the shots.
Basically, what I'm saying is, he has to do what he has been told. Best not to
worry about it. Yes, it's different-- not fishy. But best not to rock the boat by
trying to second guess the doctor. Ranjini

"kacey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi to all...
    >
    > My fiance just got home from his medical exam in Frankfurt. He was told some
    > strange things, and I'd just like to see if anyone else has been through this.
    >
    > 1. He was handed a piece of paper at the end of the exam indicating which
    > immunizations he still needed. They did not even offer to give these to him
    > there. He was told that he needed to take that piece of paper to his local
    > doctor, get the shots (3 in total), and then have that doctor forward the
    > letter back to the doctor in Frankfurt, indicating that the shots have been
    > given. The Frankfurt doctor said they will NOT send his medical results to the
    > consulate until they have received confirmation that he has had those shots.
    > When Basri asked if he had the option to have the shots done in the US, he was
    > told NO.
    >
    > 2. One of the shots that he needs is rubella. Pretty standard immunization - we
    > expected he would need that one. The other...I don't recall the exact name he
    > told me...varcem (or something like that)...is a two shot series. And he was
    > told that this shot is not even required or offered in the US, and that is why
    > he has to have it prior to his interview in Germany. This sounds fishy to me.
    > Why would he have to have this when it is not required by the US?
    >
    > 3. He was given an envelope with his x-ray in it. It is not sealed. He was told
    > that he had to take this to the airport with him. That he would not be allowed
    > on the plane until he gave them this x-ray. Does this seem normal? I don't
    > recall ever seeing anything about this before.
    >
    > I'm ready for this roller coaster ride to end!

Old Jun 15th 2002, 4:20 am
Kacey

"Ranjini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<ZYnO8.192919$cQ3.6160@sccrnsc01>...
    > Yes, it's somewhat unusual. I didn't even bring my xray with me to the US. I was
    > told it was all there in the "mysterious brown envelope" in the form of a
    > microfilm. I hope someone who has been through Frankfurt can clarify this strange
    > information. In the meantime I think you need to rationalize here. He should follow
    > the doctors instructions. (He could try contacting the consulate and seeking
    > clarification).
    > (1) Go to his own doctor and get the required immunizations, as instructed.
    > (2) Maybe he should complete the required vaccinations in Frankfurt. It may be for
    > the best in the long run. It's going to take, maybe, a couple of weeks. And
    > yes, they won't send his medical results to the consulate until he has the
    > shots. Basically, what I'm saying is, he has to do what he has been told. Best
    > not to worry about it. Yes, it's different-- not fishy. But best not to rock
    > the boat by trying to second guess the doctor. Ranjini
    >

Thank you for your response.

The trouble is, his interview at the consulate is June 20th...less than 2 weeks. The
consulate had originally scheduled his medical exam for the day of the interview -
but to try to aleviate some of the stress on that day, he chose to go early.

Frankfurt is a 3 hour train ride from him. He has no car....so just getting to the
train station is very difficult - at least, at the hour he has to be there in order
to get to Frankfurt while the doctor's office accepts patients (9a-1p).

The second shot (the two parter) he was told he still needs is Measels btw.

Looks like we'll be rethinking the July 3 arrival after all. If he has to get all
this done before his visa is issued, there's not enough time by my calculations.

And here I thought we were almost there. These "setbacks" are so difficult to handle.

Old Jun 15th 2002, 5:59 am
Just Joined

TaKa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi you all!!!
I went to the Frankfurt proecedure as well and also had a problem with one of my shots. I was told that I would need the varicella immunization. But one day before the medical examination at the doctor in Frankfurt, I was given a MMR-shot from my home doctor and therefore I wasn't able to receive the varicella shot. The doctor said that it shouldn't matter. I could get it over in the US - if I would want.
My suggestion is now: take the sheet of the required immunizations from the INS (the one you received in Package 3 from the consulate), go to your own doctor and let him check which ones you need. And then your doctor should contact the doctor in Frankfurt and talk with him about the problem.
I wish you good luck.
Greetings from

T.K.
Old Jun 17th 2002, 1:20 pm
Betastar

On 14 Jun 2002 05:15:38 -0700, [email protected] (kacey) wrote:

>My fiance just got home from his medical exam in Frankfurt. He was told some strange
    >things, and I'd just like to see if anyone else has been through this.

Very strange! You should post who this Dr. is - if there's a choice of people to go
to for the INS medical, people might be able to avoid this one. Is he new, maybe>

>The Frankfurt doctor said they will NOT send his medical results to the consulate
    >until they have received confirmation that he has had those shots. When Basri asked
    >if he had the option to have the shots done in the US, he was told NO.

For a K-1 visa, at least, I know you have until AOS to get the shots done. Heck, the
Hep. shots (for K2's) take like 6 months to complete!

>2. One of the shots that he needs is rubella. Pretty standard immunization - we
    > expected he would need that one. The other...I don't recall the exact name he
    > told me...varcem (or something like that)...is a two shot series.

Probably varicella - Chicken Pox. I don't know about Germany, but I do know that this
one isn't even available in Austria. Reinhard *had* to do that one here.

> And he was told that this shot is not even required or offered in the US, and that
    > is why he has to have it prior to his interview in Germany. This sounds fishy to
    > me. Why would he have to have this when it is not required by the US?

He wouldn't - is he sure he heard this right, and it wasn't that he had to get it in
the US because it's not offered or required in Gernany?

>3. He was given an envelope with his x-ray in it. It is not sealed. He was told
    > that he had to take this to the airport with him. That he would not be allowed
    > on the plane until he gave them this x-ray. Does this seem normal? I don't
    > recall ever seeing anything about this before.

Not at all - an X-ray is not required to board an airplane with a K-1 visa. The
border people might ask for it (though I've yet to see one who did ask) so he should
carry it with him, but required to board the flight? This Dr. doesn't know what he's
talking about here!

>I'm ready for this roller coaster ride to end!

I hate to ask this... but do I remember correctly that your fiance is Turkish, living
in Germany his whole life? Could he have gone to a
Dr. who's showing some pretty strong prejudice?

Betastar

Old Jun 17th 2002, 2:20 pm
Ranjini

<<Not at all - an X-ray is not required to board an airplane with a K-1 visa. The
border people might ask for it (though I've yet to see one who did ask) so he should
carry it with him, but required to board the flight? This Dr. doesn't know what he's
talking about >>

Why would the border patrol want to see an xray?? Only medical doctor would. Besides,
I've never really understood this business about carrying the xrays to the US. Like I
mentioned before, the xray is right there in the brown envelope in microfilm form.
Can anyone explain?? I know I never
did.Ranjini

"Betastar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > On 14 Jun 2002 05:15:38 -0700, [email protected] (kacey) wrote:
    >
    > >My fiance just got home from his medical exam in Frankfurt. He was told some
    > >strange things, and I'd just like to see if anyone else has been through this.
    >
    > Very strange! You should post who this Dr. is - if there's a choice of people to go
    > to for the INS medical, people might be able to avoid this one. Is he new, maybe>
    >
    > >The Frankfurt doctor said they will NOT send his medical results to the consulate
    > >until they have received confirmation that he has had those shots. When Basri
    > >asked if he had the option to have the shots done in the US, he was told NO.
    >
    > For a K-1 visa, at least, I know you have until AOS to get the shots done. Heck,
    > the Hep. shots (for K2's) take like 6 months to complete!
    >
    > >2. One of the shots that he needs is rubella. Pretty standard immunization - we
    > > expected he would need that one. The other...I don't recall the exact name he
    > > told me...varcem (or something like that)...is a two shot series.
    >
    > Probably varicella - Chicken Pox. I don't know about Germany, but I do know that
    > this one isn't even available in Austria. Reinhard *had* to do that one here.
    >
    > > And he was told that this shot is not even required or offered in the US, and
    > > that is why he has to have it prior to his interview in Germany. This sounds
    > > fishy to me. Why would he have to have this when it is not required by the US?
    >
    > He wouldn't - is he sure he heard this right, and it wasn't that he had to get it
    > in the US because it's not offered or required in Gernany?
    >
    >
    > >3. He was given an envelope with his x-ray in it. It is not sealed. He was told
    > > that he had to take this to the airport with him. That he would not be allowed
    > > on the plane until he gave them this x-ray. Does this seem normal? I don't
    > > recall ever seeing anything about this before.
    >
    > Not at all - an X-ray is not required to board an airplane with a K-1 visa. The
    > border people might ask for it (though I've yet to see one who did ask) so he
    > should carry it with him, but required to board the flight? This Dr. doesn't know
    > what he's talking about here!
    >
    > >I'm ready for this roller coaster ride to end!
    >
    > I hate to ask this... but do I remember correctly that your fiance is Turkish,
    > living in Germany his whole life? Could he have gone to a
    > Dr. who's showing some pretty strong prejudice?
    >
    > Betastar

Old Jun 17th 2002, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

swoosh is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I called the same doctors office in Frankfurt about two weeks ago and got a whole different story.

I asked the lady about the vaccinations as well and she said the doctor would sit down with me and determine what vaccines I still needed. I don't have a record of childhood vaccinations I have received and she suggested getting an antibody test done as lots of people on this newsgroup have as well. I specifically asked her if I could get the shots right at their office too and she said yes. I even asked how much they would be and she quoted me prices.

I also asked the lady if I needed to have the shots done before leaving Germany because a lot of people have gotten conflicting information on that and she said 'no' again the doctor will sit down with you and determine what shots you will need to get before adjusting status. She didn't seem worried about this part at all.

I'm sorry you two have been having such trouble with the medical exam part. Have you tried calling the Frankfurt consulate to see what they say about the whole issue? The people there are pretty easy to talk to. Perhaps this doctor really doesn't know what he is doing or he got the requirements for the different visas mixed up. Perhaps one of the consulate people needs to call this guy up and correct him!

I really hope it will all still work out. Best of luck!

Jeannine
Old Jun 17th 2002, 7:21 pm
Michele Sharik

No X-rays were even taken at Brian's med exam. Do they only do X-Rays for K-1ers?

--
-Michèle (US) & Brian (CAN) Detailed Timeline: http://ladysun1969.tripod.com Oct 11,
2000: met in person June 16, 2001: married in Las Vegas July 10, 2001: submitted
I-485/I-130 package (Cleveland) August 14, 2001: EAD & SSN August 17, 2001:
fingerprints August 21, 2001: AP January 21, 2002: moved to San Francisco May 28,
2002: AOS interview (SF) -- given 90 day Continuance for Medical Exam June 1, 2002:
INS Medical Exam

news:5olP8.62473$nZ3.24797@rwcrnsc53...
    > <<Not at all - an X-ray is not required to board an airplane with a K-1 visa. The
    > should carry it with him, but required to board the flight? This Dr. doesn't know
    > what he's talking about >>
    >
    > Why would the border patrol want to see an xray?? Only medical doctor would.
    > Besides, I've never really understood this business about carrying the xrays to the
    > US. Like I mentioned before, the xray is right there in the brown envelope in
    > microfilm form. Can anyone explain?? I know I never
    > did.Ranjini

Old Jun 17th 2002, 8:20 pm
Squidburger2

news:<5olP8.62473$nZ3.24797@rwcrnsc53>...
    > <<Not at all - an X-ray is not required to board an airplane with a K-1 visa. The
    > what he's talking about >>
    >
    > Why would the border patrol want to see an xray?? Only medical doctor would.
    > Besides, I've never really understood this business about carrying the xrays to the
    > US. Like I mentioned before, the xray is right there in the brown envelope in
    > microfilm form. Can anyone explain?? I know I never
    > did.Ranjini

Two things. When I got a physical in Germany for a German work permit a number of
years ago, there were a couple of strange reactions among my coworkers getting the
same medical exam(other Americans getting work permits). I had almost nothing done,
just an x-ray, tb skin test, and reflexes test. I assumed others had the same until
some started to complain about their exams. It came out that some of the others got
full ob-gyn exams or drop-your-trousers-and-cough type exams. So keep in mind that
standards vary from doctor to doctor, and that this doesn't only happen in the US.

Secondly, the x-ray is to determine lung damage from Tuberculosis. Often this test is
done in addition or instead of the skin test because the skin test requires returning
after a few days to verify there was no reaction to the virus. Many people do not
return or don't return in time for the test to be effective.

The x-ray is the easiest way for a border guard to tell that a person has gone
through at least some of the medical procedures necessary to adjust status. The
instructions for some border guards include x-ray in a checklist for those entering
on certain visas. I only know this because I have a friend of a friend in the
US/Canada border who I asked.

Just hoping to spread some news. Squidburger

Old Jun 17th 2002, 9:20 pm
Ranjini

"squidburger2" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > "Ranjini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > <<Not at all - an X-ray is not required to board an airplane with a K-1 visa. The
    > > border people might ask for it (though I've yet to see one who did ask) so he
    > > should carry it with him, but required to board the flight? This Dr. doesn't know
    > > what he's talking about >>
    > >
    > > Why would the border patrol want to see an xray?? Only medical doctor would.
    > > Besides, I've never really understood this business about
carrying
    > > the xrays to the US. Like I mentioned before, the xray is right there
in
    > > the brown envelope in microfilm form. Can anyone explain?? I know I
never
    > > did.Ranjini
    >
    > Two things. When I got a physical in Germany for a German work permit a number of
    > years ago, there were a couple of strange reactions among my coworkers getting the
    > same medical exam(other Americans getting work permits). I had almost nothing done,
    > just an x-ray, tb skin test, and reflexes test. I assumed others had the same until
    > some started to complain about their exams. It came out that some of the others got
    > full ob-gyn exams or drop-your-trousers-and-cough type exams. So keep in mind that
    > standards vary from doctor to doctor, and that this doesn't only happen in the US.
    >
    > Secondly, the x-ray is to determine lung damage from Tuberculosis. Often this test
    > is done in addition or instead of the skin test because the skin test requires
    > returning after a few days to verify there was no reaction to the virus. Many
    > people do not return or don't return in time for the test to be effective.
    >
    > The x-ray is the easiest way for a border guard to tell that a person has gone
    > through at least some of the medical procedures necessary to adjust status. The
    > instructions for some border guards include x-ray in a checklist for those entering
    > on certain visas. I only know this because I have a friend of a friend in the
    > US/Canada border who I asked.
    >
    > Just hoping to spread some news. Squidburger

Old Jun 17th 2002, 9:20 pm
Ranjini

Thanks for the info. I've always wondered why people talk about carrying their xrays
with them to the US. I certainly didn't. I was told I didn't have to. K1 is probably
one of the catergories where you don't have to. Ranjini

"squidburger2" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > "Ranjini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > <<Not at all - an X-ray is not required to board an airplane with a K-1 visa. The
    > > border people might ask for it (though I've yet to see one who did ask) so he
    > > should carry it with him, but required to board the flight? This Dr. doesn't know
    > > what he's talking about >>
    > >
    > > Why would the border patrol want to see an xray?? Only medical doctor would.
    > > Besides, I've never really understood this business about
carrying
    > > the xrays to the US. Like I mentioned before, the xray is right there
in
    > > the brown envelope in microfilm form. Can anyone explain?? I know I
never
    > > did.Ranjini
    >
    > Two things. When I got a physical in Germany for a German work permit a number of
    > years ago, there were a couple of strange reactions among my coworkers getting the
    > same medical exam(other Americans getting work permits). I had almost nothing done,
    > just an x-ray, tb skin test, and reflexes test. I assumed others had the same until
    > some started to complain about their exams. It came out that some of the others got
    > full ob-gyn exams or drop-your-trousers-and-cough type exams. So keep in mind that
    > standards vary from doctor to doctor, and that this doesn't only happen in the US.
    >
    > Secondly, the x-ray is to determine lung damage from Tuberculosis. Often this test
    > is done in addition or instead of the skin test because the skin test requires
    > returning after a few days to verify there was no reaction to the virus. Many
    > people do not return or don't return in time for the test to be effective.
    >
    > The x-ray is the easiest way for a border guard to tell that a person has gone
    > through at least some of the medical procedures necessary to adjust status. The
    > instructions for some border guards include x-ray in a checklist for those entering
    > on certain visas. I only know this because I have a friend of a friend in the
    > US/Canada border who I asked.
    >
    > Just hoping to spread some news. Squidburger

Old Jun 17th 2002, 11:20 pm
Kacey

> Very strange! You should post who this Dr. is - if there's a choice of people to go
    > to for the INS medical, people might be able to avoid this one. Is he new, maybe>

I'm not sure of the doctor's name, but will certainly check with him. I do know that
it is a female doctor - in an office with 3 doctors in Frankfurt. There was no choice
of doctor given. He had to arrive sometime between 8 and 11, and then just wait his
turn - no appointments.
    >
    > For a K-1 visa, at least, I know you have until AOS to get the shots done. Heck,
    > the Hep. shots (for K2's) take like 6 months to complete!

Apparently there is a new regulation that states that all visa applicants required
to have a medical exam must have all vaccinations complete prior to receiving
visa. I will check on the web tonight and see if I can find a link to post to the
exact wording.
    >
    > Probably varicella - Chicken Pox. I don't know about Germany, but I do know that
    > this one isn't even available in Austria. Reinhard *had* to do that one here.

It actually was measles and rubella that he is missing. His childhood doctor has
destroyed his old records - so he will have to have an antibodies test done, because
his immunization booklet only shows him receiving one of the three measles shots.
They are 99.9% sure that this is because he contracted measles as a young child,
prior to the other shots being given.
    >
    > He wouldn't - is he sure he heard this right, and it wasn't that he had to get it
    > in the US because it's not offered or required in Gernany?

Yes, we're possitive on that. He even tried calling the consulate to ask why he was
being told this. He was told by the people at the consulate that Measles is not a
required immunization in the US, and that if he chose to wait until he got to the
US, then he wouldn't be able to get it. WTF?! They also insisted that a K-1 visa is
an immigrant visa and all vaccinations must be done prior to him getting the visa.
I'm really starting to wonder if anyone in Frankfurt has any idea what they are
talking about!
    >
    > Not at all - an X-ray is not required to board an airplane with a K-1 visa. The
    > what he's talking about here!

We still have no clue what he's suppose to do with the x-ray...but he will cary it
with him every step of the trip, just in case he is asked to present it. If not, I
guess we just take it to the AOS interview.

> I hate to ask this... but do I remember correctly that your fiance is Turkish,
    > living in Germany his whole life? Could he have gone to a
    > Dr. who's showing some pretty strong prejudice?

Yes, you are remembering correctly about him being a turkish citizen. That is my
biggest fear - that they are doing all of this just to make things more difficult for
him - out of prejudice. But even if that is the case - and even if this sets us back
a month or more (we're hoping only a week or two though), we will keep trying. His
interview is Thursday. Hopefully at least that part will go better, but at this point
i'm not holding my breath!

Old Jun 18th 2002, 12:20 pm
Kacey

And so the saga continues...

After reading the message from Jeannine, my fiance got back on the phone to the
doctor in Frankfurt. (He recalled that when he was there, everyone else was there for
IMMIGRANT visa medical exams!) So, he patiently explained AGAIN that he is applying
for a NON-IMMIGRANT K-1 visa. The doctor simply said, oh, it was a mistake then. We
will process your files, and forward to the consulate immediately. Immunizations are
not needed until after you are in the US. So, we were right the whole time, just had
a very hard time getting anyone in Frankfurt to listen! Soooo...things seem to be
going well again, finally. Certainly didn't need that extra stress, but I suppose
things could have been much worse.

His interview is Thursday. Hopefully the medical file will make it there by then,
and all will be good. After the last mix up with plane tickets though, I think
I'll be waiting until Thursday to purchase his ticket - even if it means paying a
little more!

Thanks again to everyone who posted their thoughts/advice on this. The support
helped a lot!

Kristen

Old Jun 18th 2002, 1:20 pm
Ranjini

Happy to hear you have it all sorted out, finally. I personally think that a
consulate doctor should be more informed about the visas he is dealing with. He had
no right to mislead your fiance. Anyway, all's well that end's well. Good luck with
the rest of the process. Ranjini

"kacey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > And so the saga continues...
    >
    > After reading the message from Jeannine, my fiance got back on the phone to the
    > doctor in Frankfurt. (He recalled that when he was there, everyone else was there
    > for IMMIGRANT visa medical exams!) So, he patiently explained AGAIN that he is
    > applying for a NON-IMMIGRANT K-1 visa. The doctor simply said, oh, it was a mistake
    > then. We will process your files, and forward to the consulate immediately.
    > Immunizations are not needed until after you are in the US. So, we were right the
    > whole time, just had a very hard time getting anyone in Frankfurt to listen!
    > Soooo...things seem to be going well again, finally. Certainly didn't need that
    > extra stress, but I suppose things could have been much worse.
    >
    > His interview is Thursday. Hopefully the medical file will make it there by then,
    > and all will be good. After the last mix up with plane tickets though, I think
    > I'll be waiting until Thursday to purchase his ticket - even if it means paying a
    > little more!
    >
    > Thanks again to everyone who posted their thoughts/advice on this. The support
    > helped a lot!
    >
    > Kristen

Old Jun 18th 2002, 2:20 pm
Betastar

On 18 Jun 2002 04:04:40 -0700, [email protected] (kacey) wrote:

>And so the saga continues...
    >
    >After reading the message from Jeannine, my fiance got back on the phone to the
    >doctor in Frankfurt. (He recalled that when he was there, everyone else was there
    >for IMMIGRANT visa medical exams!) So, he patiently explained AGAIN that he is
    >applying for a NON-IMMIGRANT K-1 visa. The doctor simply said, oh, it was a mistake
    >then. We will process your files, and forward to the consulate immediately.

Congratulations, and good for you for being on top of that one =)

>His interview is Thursday. Hopefully the medical file will make it there by then,
    >and all will be good.

I'll be thinking of you - please let us know when he gets his visa!

Glueck!

Betastar

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.