Steve's Oath Ceremony

Old May 8th 2004, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevelisaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Steve's Oath Ceremony

Hello Everyone,

Yesterday's ceremony was beautiful. From the Steel drum band that played while you waited for the immigrants to be questioned, (they were youngsters Ian's age the musicians) to the soloist who sang God Bless America to the speakers. After all the immigrants received their certificates of naturalization (20 immigrants in all) they asked a half dozen to speak about their experience, what brought them here etc. Steve was the last one to speak, he felt a bit funny when she stated......"AND from the UNITED KINGDOM....Steve Williams". He told her he unlike the others on the stage didn't come here for freedom but instead left a Great country for an even Greater one. Said he never wanted to leave England, but for the love of his wife he did, and would do so again. People stopped him in the lobby afterwards to tell him how they liked his statement.

One woman was from Syria, she said many from the middle east wish to come here, and she loves America because here she can freely worship her Jesus. I never saw it from their point of view, those that come here seeking religious freedom, we truly are a free country in that respect. Another young woman's father on a whim sent in their family for the Green Card Lottery (they were from Romania) and won allowing them all to come to America. There was a woman from India who is now a pediatrician, stated she was sure some of the 800 students in the audience were her patients and how happy she was to help form their young lives. Another was from Ghana, came here to study and stayed. Ian learned a quite bit yesterday about being an American.

For a initial peek at Steve's ceremony (digital didn't work well, but have hard copy pics coming in on Monday) here is the swearing in.

www.britsintheus.com/marriednhappy/oath.htm

Lisa
Old May 8th 2004, 3:03 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Steve's Oath Ceremony

Congratulations, Steve, on becoming a US Citizen. Lisa, I admire how you have stood steadfast alongside of Steve through your rough beginnings here on the newsgroup when those of us became your prophets of doom for having the gull to attempt adjustment through the VWP. I am so happy that we (read that I) was wrong and have hung around to see Steve take his oath of citizenship.

The ceremony, with all its pomp and circumstance, sounds like the perfect ending to a long and tedious journey. I do wish that ceremonies such as yours would be the norm for all new citizens and their families, so like Ian, they can learn a little of what motivates foreigners to continue through this convoluted and oft times, horrific process to realize their dreams for a different, if not always, better life.

May the powers that be continue to bless you third with a long, happy and prosperous life.

Rita
Old May 8th 2004, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Rete
Congratulations, Steve, on becoming a US Citizen. Lisa, I admire how you have stood steadfast alongside of Steve through your rough beginnings here on the newsgroup when those of us became your prophets of doom for having the gull to attempt adjustment through the VWP. I am so happy that we (read that I) was wrong and have hung around to see Steve take his oath of citizenship.

The ceremony, with all its pomp and circumstance, sounds like the perfect ending to a long and tedious journey. I do wish that ceremonies such as yours would be the norm for all new citizens and their families, so like Ian, they can learn a little of what motivates foreigners to continue through this convoluted and oft times, horrific process to realize their dreams for a different, if not always, better life.

May the powers that be continue to bless you third with a long, happy and prosperous life.

Rita
Thank you Rita.....I Don't know how you felt once the journey ended, but I do feel a bit lost....it consumed so much of our life...immigration did....now that is done....lol what next.

I hope to one day meet you ladies (Rita and Ranjini) for I feel you've been along side us through the struggles and triumphs that come in dealing with the ever changing INS/BCIS/USCIS.

On an aside .....my ex and his wife along with her parents had a waterford crystal US Flag paperweight engraved by the artist here from Ireland Michael Butler with Steve's name and date of his Citizenship along with signing the piece. Considering we've had our ups and downs as you do......we were both taken aback by their thoughtfulness, generousity and kindness.

Lisa
Old May 8th 2004, 4:02 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by stevelisaw
Thank you Rita.....I Don't know how you felt once the journey ended, but I do feel a bit lost....it consumed so much of our life...immigration did....now that is done....lol what next.
Feeling lost is an apt way of describing it. Probably one of the few more concrete reasons why I'm still hanging around here ;-)

[quote]I hope to one day meet you ladies (Rita and Ranjini) for I feel you've been along side us through the struggles and triumphs that come in dealing with the ever changing INS/BCIS/USCIS. [\quote]

Both Jim and I have meet several persons who we have become friends with over the years and one PA friend moved last year to Ohio. So the odds of us coming you way are not as remote as you might think. Plus Jim is selling the Ottawa townhouse, or at least attempting to, if the realtor is ever able to fix the damage from the tenants who skipped out owing over $3,600 in back rent and we are going to be buying that deluxe starcraft popup we saw for our summer travels and to tour the US and Canadian Rockies.

On an aside .....my ex and his wife along with her parents had a waterford crystal US Flag paperweight engraved by the artist here from Ireland Michael Butler with Steve's name and date of his Citizenship along with signing the piece. Considering we've had our ups and downs as you do......we were both taken aback by their thoughtfulness, generousity and kindness.

Lisa
What a wonderful and thoughtful gift. Not just the actual material gift but the gift of friendship it entails as well.

Don't be a stranger, Lisa. You have my address here at expats and when I change over to the new DSL line and ISP, I will forward the new e-mail to you and Ranjini.

Rita
Old May 8th 2004, 4:15 pm
Andy Platt

Congrats. I think his sentiments match mine - I almost feel guilty that I
haven't come to the US for the love of the place - don't get me wrong, I
love where I live but I would be just as happy back in Blighty. Well, I
might miss the weather ... but I don't think the cozy pubs would have
developed without the weather as a good incentive!

Andy.

--
I'm not really here, it's just your warped imagination
"stevelisaw" <member203@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hello Everyone,
    > Yesterday's ceremony was beautiful. From the Steel
    > drum band that played while you waited for the immigrants to be
    > questioned, (they were youngsters Ian's age the musicians) to the
    > soloist who sang God Bless America to the speakers. After all the
    > immigrants received their certificates of naturalization (20 immigrants
    > in all) they asked a half dozen to speak about their experience, what
    > brought them here etc. Steve was the last one to speak, he felt a bit
    > funny when she stated......"AND from the UNITED KINGDOM....Steve
    > Williams". He told her he unlike the others on the stage didn't come
    > here for freedom but instead left a Great country for an even Greater
    > one. Said he never wanted to leave England, but for the love of his wife
    > he did, and would do so again. People stopped him in the lobby
    > afterwards to tell him how they liked his statement.
    > One woman was
    > from Syria, she said many from the middle east wish to come here, and
    > she loves America because here she can freely worship her Jesus. I never
    > saw it from their point of view, those that come here seeking religious
    > freedom, we truly are a free country in that respect. Another young
    > woman's father on a whim sent in their family for the Green Card Lottery
    > (they were from Romania) and won allowing them all to come to America.
    > There was a woman from India who is now a pediatrician, stated she was
    > sure some of the 800 students in the audience were her patients and how
    > happy she was to help form their young lives. Another was from Ghana,
    > came here to study and stayed. Ian learned a quite bit yesterday about
    > being an American.
    > For a initial peek at Steve's ceremony (digital
    > didn't work well, but have hard copy pics coming in on Monday) here is
    > the swearing in.
    > www.britsintheus.com/marriednhappy/oath.htm
    > Lisa
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 8th 2004, 4:21 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

I hope to one day meet you ladies (Rita and Ranjini) for I feel you've been along side us through the struggles and triumphs that come in dealing with the ever changing INS/BCIS/USCIS.

Lisa
That has been the best part in it all, forging friendships with the likes of you and Rita.
Having said that, I can see that you were moved by the whole ceremony. I know I was. And I saw tears in Ken's eyes. He was proud that I was finally an American!!
Good show kiddo. I am so very happy that you and Steve have gone the distance like Ken and I and come out stronger in your faith in each other and your love. It's great also that your ex and wife made their own gesture of friendship. That's excellent news because now you can share with them the task of raising Ian.
Thanks for sharing the details. I was a little teary as I read it.
God bless you both and take care
Love ya,
Ranjini
Old May 8th 2004, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

SundarV is an unknown quantity at this point

Lisa and Steve,
Congrats. The ceremony seems to have been done very well in Canton. So no more USCIS or BCIS or whatever they are called today :-).

Wishing you both best of luck for the future.

Sundar
in India!
Old May 9th 2004, 12:55 pm
Grinch

> Hello Everyone,
    > Yesterday's ceremony was beautiful.

Congratulations to you both.

Grinch

Old May 10th 2004, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by SundarV
Lisa and Steve,
Congrats. The ceremony seems to have been done very well in Canton. So no more USCIS or BCIS or whatever they are called today :-).

Wishing you both best of luck for the future.

Sundar
in India!
Wish you luck and good wishes as well Sundar as you file your DCF today in India!!!!!!!!

Lisa
Old May 10th 2004, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Grinch
    > Hello Everyone,
    > Yesterday's ceremony was beautiful.

Congratulations to you both.

Grinch
Thank you Grinchy-Pooh .......hope things are well with you and Mrs. Grinch......and all the creatures in the Grinch household.

Lisa
Old May 10th 2004, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Ranjini
That has been the best part in it all, forging friendships with the likes of you and Rita.
Having said that, I can see that you were moved by the whole ceremony. I know I was. And I saw tears in Ken's eyes. He was proud that I was finally an American!!
Good show kiddo. I am so very happy that you and Steve have gone the distance like Ken and I and come out stronger in your faith in each other and your love. It's great also that your ex and wife made their own gesture of friendship. That's excellent news because now you can share with them the task of raising Ian.
Thanks for sharing the details. I was a little teary as I read it.
God bless you both and take care
Love ya,
Ranjini

Thank you Ranjini.....going to keep peeking in on here till I see the news your son has his citizenship.

Lisa
Old May 10th 2004, 2:29 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Thank you Ranjini.....going to keep peeking in on here till I see the news your son has his citizenship.

Lisa

That's so very sweet Lisa Thank you!! His cheque has been cashed already. That's the latest on that front.
How's Steve feeling about being an American, now?? Is he turning cartwheels like I was?
Take care,
Ranjini
Old May 10th 2004, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Andy Platt
Congrats. I think his sentiments match mine - I almost feel guilty that I
haven't come to the US for the love of the place - don't get me wrong, I
love where I live but I would be just as happy back in Blighty. Well, I
might miss the weather ... but I don't think the cozy pubs would have
developed without the weather as a good incentive!

Andy.

--
I'm not really here, it's just your warped imagination
Steve does still miss the Pubs....and Football. But then my cousin has been here 30 years and still misses Italian Football! (Which Steve says are good players, but who do a bit of acting on the pitch....lol)

Thanks for the congrats Andy.

Lisa
Old May 11th 2004, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

SundarV is an unknown quantity at this point

Wish you luck and good wishes as well Sundar as you file your DCF today in India!!!!!!!!

Lisa
Lisa,
DCF was smooth sailing. The total time I spent in US Consulate was 30 minutes. The guy did not even bother interviewing us on questions like how we met, etc. He said so you have been married for a year. I said the delay in getting citizenship has prevented me from applying earlier. He just said what will happen next and asked me to pay $185 for I-130. He did not see the marraige album or email exchange or anything for that matter. We did give him some loose wedding pictures for the application.

I think (as other posters have mentioned), we were traditional Indian marriage, so it was smooth. Thank you again for your prayers and wishes. Now to second step. I am glad this would prevent us from going through Cleveland USCIS for Sujata.

I am now relaxing in Delhi where temp is 106 today!!
Take care
Sundar
Old May 11th 2004, 9:17 am
Grinch

> Thank you Grinchy-Pooh .......hope things are well with you and Mrs.
    > Grinch......and all the creatures in the Grinch household.
    > Lisa

Things are well with me.
There is no longer a Mrs Grinch that lives here.
The creatures are fine.

Grinch

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.