Starting the journey....

Wikiposts

Starting the journey....

Old Aug 31st 2011, 4:20 am
Just Joined

mark_bankover is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starting the journey....

Hi there,

My girlfriend and i are lookingat getting married towards the middle end of 2012 and are therefore looking to apply for the fiance visa.

I am a UK citizen and we are keen to be together as quickly as possible.

One very quick question, can we file the petition without actually legally being engaged, so file this wait for the processing to begin and then get engaged ?

Many thanks
Old Aug 31st 2011, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

katiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Starting the journey....

I've never heard of being legally engaged... But I do know that unless your relationship falls under certain, specific, exceptions you must have met in the last two years and have proof of that/ those meetings. It certainly helps I think if you have proof of engagement (we submitted the receipt for my engagement ring).
Old Aug 31st 2011, 4:37 am
Just Joined

I mean can we file the paper work without actually being engaged, as we arent engaged at the moment, this is something I am thinking about rather than going down the H1B route which seems very long and complicated and very very difficult.

This is something i am thinking about (popping the question) in order to apply for this visa, so would we need to be engaged when we file the petition
Old Aug 31st 2011, 4:39 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark_bankover
I mean can we file the paper work without actually being engaged, as we arent engaged at the moment, this is something I am thinking about rather than going down the H1B route which seems very long and complicated and very very difficult.

This is something i am thinking about (popping the question) in order to apply for this visa, so would we need to be engaged when we file the petition
If you each write the statements of intent that are required as supporting documentation with an I-129f, you are engaged.

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Aug 31st 2011 at 4:42 am.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 4:47 am
Just Joined

If you each write the statements of intent that are required as supporting documentation with an I-129f, you are engaged.

so we can really write a statement of intent once the visa has been approved that we will get engaged ???
Old Aug 31st 2011, 4:50 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

The statements of intent are required long before the visa has been approved! They are required with the submission of the I-129f petition (have you read the I-129f instructions?), and they may be required again for the visa application.

Regards, JEff

so we can really write a statement of intent once the visa has been approved that we will get engaged ???
Old Aug 31st 2011, 5:25 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

One very quick question, can we file the petition without actually legally being engaged, so file this wait for the processing to begin and then get engaged ?
There is no such thing as a "legal" engagement. Regardless of who asks the question, if you both agree to marry, you are engaged. It's as simple as that. There is no requirement for a public declaration - such as you might have if one of you bought a diamond ring.

For immigration purposes, you must 1) have met each other face-to-face at least once during the prior two years, and 2) you must (as part of the initial paperwork = when the I-129F is submitted = long BEFORE the visa is approved) each sign a statement indicating that you are prepared to marry within 90 days of the non-USC entering the US after the visa is approved.

Ian
Old Aug 31st 2011, 6:56 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Go to www.uscis.gov, Forms, I-129F. Read the form and instructions. If you meet all the requirements listed in the instructions, you may file the I-129F, even if you have not had a "formal" engagement.

Intending to get married is the same as being engaged.

Rene
Old Aug 31st 2011, 2:09 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

Of course that receipt for the ring is excellent proof for your interview...