Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

start K1 or get married in UK and apply for CR-1?

start K1 or get married in UK and apply for CR-1?

Old Sep 5th 2011, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

GrappleGoddess is an unknown quantity at this point
Default start K1 or get married in UK and apply for CR-1?

I am UKC and my fiance is USC.

We are aiming for me and my 3 kids to be in the US for Summer 2012 and are getting more and more confused with which option would be the most efficient.

K1 seems to be straightforward but averaging 6-8 months (I know, all timeframes are different per case ) This also has the benefit of the K2 visas for the children.

CR-1 seems to be 8-10 months, this would also require us to be married, seems to be less expensive.

My priority would be speed over expense. I've read so much I've boggled my own mind!

Our case should be pretty straightforward, no police, medical or financial issues.

Any straightforward advice would be most helpful!
Old Sep 5th 2011, 11:35 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: start K1 or get married in UK and apply for CR-1?

Originally Posted by GrappleGoddess
K1 seems to be straightforward but averaging 6-8 months (I know, all timeframes are different per case ) This also has the benefit of the K2 visas for the children.
Just curious why K2 is a benefit for the children, as opposed to them entering the USA as PRs? Besides the cost factor of filing three I-130's, that is. Don't forget there will be three AOS applications if they enter as K2's. AOS is more expensive than filing an I-130, I believe.

[quote]CR-1 seems to be 8-10 months, this would also require us to be married, seems to be less expensive.
In fees, perhaps less expensive. But you have to also factor in the cost of another visit so you can get married. And no paperwork can be filed until after you marry.

[quoe]My priority would be speed over expense.
If speed is your priority, then the K1/K2 is slightly shorter than an Immigrant Visa. But for the sake of only a couple of months, you might still want to weigh the options again.

Sorry I don't have any straightforward advice. You could go either way, the choice is really up to you.

Rene
Old Sep 5th 2011, 11:41 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

We are aiming for me and my 3 kids to be in the US for Summer 2012 and are getting more and more confused with which option would be the most efficient.

CR-1 seems to be 8-10 months, this would also require us to be married, seems to be less expensive.

My priority would be speed over expense. I've read so much I've boggled my own mind!

Our case should be pretty straightforward, no police, medical or financial issues.

Fairly simple choice then, the CR-1 is the cheapest option.

We went the K1 route and are still regretting it . I arrived in the US in April and I am still unable to work in September. If we could turn back the clock we would do the CR-1.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 11:48 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

We are aiming for me and my 3 kids to be in the US for Summer 2012...
Just so you're aware, you'll need written permission from the children's other parent (or a court order) before you can remove them from UK jurisdiction.

My priority would be speed over expense.
Since you're aiming at just under a year from now, and since both the K-1 visa and CR-1 visa take about the same amount of time, I wouldn't necessarily put speed ahead of anything. All else being equal, the CR-1 visa is far superior to the K-1 visa... with the added advantage of being far less expensive all around, and you and the children will all immediately become US permanent residents (= green cards) the day you enter the US.

Ian
Old Sep 6th 2011, 12:18 am
BE Enthusiast

britishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to all

Well if you filed next month (oct) and went the CR1 route you could in theory be there by May/June

We went the CR1 route and our total time from posting the I-130 To visa in hand was 7 months 21 days. We were told 8-10 months, so got just under that

I Have heard that some recent K1 cases were about 7 or 8 months too from filing to VISA, so very close to the CR1, and in my eyes the CR1 is far superior

Within one week of arriving in the USA I have my SS number, and have 3 interviews scheduled already.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 4:17 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Comment -- there is a quirk in the K-1 regime in that the kids immigrate off the alien parent, not the AmCit "step-parent."

So, lets say there is a kid 19 years of age. If parent marries an AmCit, no visa available. However, lets say that parent obtains a K-1 visa, then the 19 year old can obtain a K-2 as accompany or to follow to join the K-1 parent. And the kid can adjust if parent marries within 90 days.

This was the subject of a lot of litigation in the past few years with DHS finally deciding to actually follow the law.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by britishspouse
Well if you filed next month (oct) and went the CR1 route you could in theory be there by May/June

We went the CR1 route and our total time from posting the I-130 To visa in hand was 7 months 21 days. We were told 8-10 months, so got just under that

I Have heard that some recent K1 cases were about 7 or 8 months too from filing to VISA, so very close to the CR1, and in my eyes the CR1 is far superior

Within one week of arriving in the USA I have my SS number, and have 3 interviews scheduled already.
Sounds great! and I see from your time line your destination was RDU. Mine is the same!
Old Sep 6th 2011, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Just so you're aware, you'll need written permission from the children's other parent (or a court order) before you can remove them from UK jurisdiction.
I have this.

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Since you're aiming at just under a year from now, and since both the K-1 visa and CR-1 visa take about the same amount of time, I wouldn't necessarily put speed ahead of anything. All else being equal, the CR-1 visa is far superior to the K-1 visa... with the added advantage of being far less expensive all around, and you and the children will all immediately become US permanent residents (= green cards) the day you enter the US.

Ian
It does sound "tidier". Then it opens the question of getting married and the whole "travelling to the US with the intention".

Thank you for your advice!
Old Sep 6th 2011, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk
Fairly simple choice then, the CR-1 is the cheapest option.

We went the K1 route and are still regretting it . I arrived in the US in April and I am still unable to work in September. If we could turn back the clock we would do the CR-1.
That is very helpful, I hope it speeds up for you!
Old Sep 6th 2011, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Comment -- there is a quirk in the K-1 regime in that the kids immigrate off the alien parent, not the AmCit "step-parent."

So, lets say there is a kid 19 years of age. If parent marries an AmCit, no visa available. However, lets say that parent obtains a K-1 visa, then the 19 year old can obtain a K-2 as accompany or to follow to join the K-1 parent. And the kid can adjust if parent marries within 90 days.

This was the subject of a lot of litigation in the past few years with DHS finally deciding to actually follow the law.
Interesting, though all the children are under 12 so hopefully both options are open.

Thanks for your advice!
Old Sep 6th 2011, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Noorah101;9602385]Just curious why K2 is a benefit for the children, as opposed to them entering the USA as PRs? Besides the cost factor of filing three I-130's, that is. Don't forget there will be three AOS applications if they enter as K2's. AOS is more expensive than filing an I-130, I believe.

If speed is your priority, then the K1/K2 is slightly shorter than an Immigrant Visa. But for the sake of only a couple of months, you might still want to weigh the options again.

Sorry I don't have any straightforward advice. You could go either way, the choice is really up to you.

Rene
It's all helpful advice! I'm still learning so much.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

Well today's announcement on the US Embassy page confirms timeframes:
http://london.usembassy.gov/dhs/uscis/i130filing.html

See righthand box - processing times are now 10 months.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 12:27 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Then it opens the question of getting married and the whole "travelling to the US with the intention".
Not really... it's perfectly legal and okay to travel to the US to get married! The problem arises when you stay afterwards to adjust status... but that's not what you'll be doing.

See righthand box - processing times are now 10 months.
It's been showing 10 months for quite some time now... so don't read anything into it beyond that.

Ian
Old Sep 6th 2011, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

britishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to all

Sounds great! and I see from your time line your destination was RDU. Mine is the same!
cool! Shall you be living in North Carolina too, or one of the surrounding states?
Old Sep 6th 2011, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by britishspouse
cool! Shall you be living in North Carolina too, or one of the surrounding states?
yes! I'll be in Durham

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.