want to do the security checks on?

Kim

Old Jan 16th 2003, 5:55 am
Steggy

Default Re: stamp vs. no stamp

"Kim R." wrote:
    >
    > Why is it that some people are getting their I-155 stamp at the AOS
    > interview and others aren't? Are the officers picking and choosing who they
    > want to do the security checks on?
    >
    > Kim

Good question. Curious myself.
--
steg

Old Jan 16th 2003, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

jeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud of

At our recent interview the buzz among the attorneys in the waiting area were that they weren't giving too many stamps. The attorneys were essentially telling their clients to resign themselves to the fact that they wouldn't be getting a stamp.

They reason given was that they were doing further background checks.

I absolutely believe that the INS is doing racial profiling - even though they claim they are not. I'm not entirely sure where I stand with this morally, but I'm very sure that it's happening.

It's obivious who is going in for their interview - they're the people with boxes and bags of information! In our three hour wait, my husband and I both noted that people of Middle Eastern decent had interviews far longer than others.

Philip is white, english speaking, retired British military and our interview was a breeze. The INS officer was so helpful - even letting me fill out the current Affidavit of Support while she waited and helping me with any questions I had. Then she took Philip's income (I am not currently working) and gave me back all of the papers my father initially filled out as his sponsor.

Essentially, Philip is sponsoring himself and my father is null and void of all responsibilities he took one when filling out the Affidavit of Support initially.

The officer pretty much told us (subtle hints) that we'd be getting a stamp before the interview was even over. Philip even gave her the wrong date when she asked us when we got married! (We married 4/12 with a reception on 5/11 - Philip got confused and told her we married on 4/11. I didn't correct him and she didn't say a word.)

We had to sign a half sheet of paper saying that we would send the correct papers to remove the conditions - she kept the other half. She printed out this paper from her computer as soon as we entered the office - suggesting that she made up her mind right away or even before the interview.

We left with a stamp in Philip's passport. I'm just very thankful for that!

A further note - our letter said the interview would be videotaped and it was not.

I would wish everyone this much ease with their interview.
Old Jan 16th 2003, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

Larry D is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm on my way for my interview in cherry hill, NJ this afternoon. I'm not expecting any stamp, 'cause I know in jersey's INS is doing extra background check. But hopefully, I'll get it since I did my fingerprint back in august the 24Th. I will update you guys later.
Old Jan 16th 2003, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

osaeed is an unknown quantity at this point

My sister's husband had an AOS interview in Orange County, CA the day after Thanksgiving. He passed the interview and did not receive his stamp. Tuesday his lawyer received notice from CSC that the checks were complete, he now has PR status. Fortunately he received PR status, otherwise he was going to have to go for INS special registration sometime in the next couple of weeks (he is a Pakistani citizen).

I don't know if he can now just walk into his local INS office and demand an I-551. However, his green card should be in the mail relatively soon.

omer
Old Jan 16th 2003, 2:56 pm
Kristin

Jen - Not that I'm disagreeing with you about why you got the stamp and
others didn't, but we had our INS interview in Detroit last week, and my
husband, a white, English speaking Canadian, did not get the stamp. He
had not been fingerprinted prior to the interview, so that may be why.
The officer also said he didn't have the "full file" and several
attorney websites are reporting that the INS is saying they will not
give out stamps if they are working from a "temp file". Not that I
think the INS is being consistent in any of this, but that was our
experience. We're still waiting on the approval letter, but it's only
been ten days or so.

We also signed that piece of paper about filing to remove conditions,
even though we didn't get the stamp - we signed two copies, he kept one,
we kept one. Kristin

Old Jan 16th 2003, 4:16 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jeninifer
I absolutely believe that the INS is doing racial profiling - even though they claim they are not. I'm not entirely sure where I stand with this morally, but I'm very sure that it's happening.

I would wish everyone this much ease with their interview.
My husband is a white, anglo/saxon Canadian of senior years and sterling character and did not get his stamp at the interview either. And this was before extensive background checks.

The majority of people who interviewed in November and December were not given their approval at that time. I doubt very much that it was because of their nationalities. Not all of them can be from terrorist countries.

BTW your experience with the new I-864 is normal. If the foreign spouse lives in the household for more than six months and works, their income can be included on a new I-864 thereby eliminating the co-sponsor. No great surprise there.

Rete