Wikiposts

SSN World of Pain

Old Oct 18th 2011, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default SSN World of Pain

hi folks
I posted on here a while ago re my SSN and the difficulty in obtaining one. In a nutshell came over in march on K1 - married and adjusted status and have green card now - in my married name.

Went to get SSN when i first arrived and was advised to come back when I adjusted status as the social security card would then be in married name.

Went back in July - name on UCIS website is still maiden name so cant get SSN as green card is in married but was informed it can take a while from green card issue to update.

Went back August as was informed that the immigration website is still showing me in maiden name

Went back to SSN office yesterday to follow up and they have heard nothing (they put in a verification request on my behalf) so put in another request to verify my status (even tho i have a green card - because the names dont tally this is why they have to follow up)

My question is this - can I just go into a USCIS office without an info pass appoint and wait to be seen? I live so far away from an office but am in Orange County at the end of the week but there are no appointment at the nearest office available online so is it worth just turning up and hoping I will be seen or just not worth it as I wont be let in?
Im sure it is a 2 second job to update my details and then I can get the SS Number as in the meantime i cant drive!
many thanks!
Old Oct 18th 2011, 10:13 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN World of Pain

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
Went back to SSN office yesterday to follow up and they have heard nothing (they put in a verification request on my behalf) so put in another request to verify my status (even tho i have a green card - because the names dont tally this is why they have to follow up)
So you never received a SSN while going through the AOS process? It's OK if your SS card is in your maiden name. I think SS should still issue your SSN, even if your name in the system is still maiden...you have your marriage certificate to provide proof of name change.

My question is this - can I just go into a USCIS office without an info pass appoint and wait to be seen? I live so far away from an office but am in Orange County at the end of the week but there are no appointment at the nearest office available online so is it worth just turning up and hoping I will be seen or just not worth it as I wont be let in?
I think you need an Infopass appointment, they don't take walk-ins anymore. But I don't think an Infopass will accomplish anything for you, anyway...the issue is with SS, not USCIS. The fact that you have your green card in your married name shows that your information is correct with USCIS.

m sure it is a 2 second job to update my details and then I can get the SS Number as in the meantime i cant drive!
All you need for the drivers license is your green card and SS card, even if the names don't match. Bring a copy of your marriage certificate to explain the name discrepancy.

Rene
Old Oct 18th 2011, 10:15 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Went to get SSN when i first arrived and was advised to come back when I adjusted status as the social security card would then be in married name.
It's a shame you didn't just get the card in your maiden name. All you would have needed was a copy of your marriage certificate to get an updated SS card in your married name. It would have been irrelevant whether or not your status had been adjusted.

Went back August as was informed that the immigration website is still showing me in maiden name
Why don't you just get the SS card in your maiden name? Once you have it, you can change it.

Ian
Old Oct 18th 2011, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you both for your replies - ah i never realised that I could get the card in my maiden name!!
The SS Office said it is an immigration issue

I will go back and see if they can issue in maiden name
thank you again!!!
Old Oct 18th 2011, 10:26 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is that the green card was issued in her MARRIED name and when SS verifies with USCIS they come up with her MAIDEN name.

My suggestion, take your marriage certificate with you to the SS office. Take your passport as well with the K-1 in it. And if necessary ask to speak with a supervisor. Or try a different office.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rete
The problem is that the green card was issued in her MARRIED name and when SS verifies with USCIS they come up with her MAIDEN name.

My suggestion, take your marriage certificate with you to the SS office. Take your passport as well with the K-1 in it. And if necessary ask to speak with a supervisor. Or try a different office.
Thanks Rete - all of the above has been tried - passports in maiden name but i took marriage cert etc
Going to try different office in Orange County
Old Oct 18th 2011, 10:43 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rete - all of the above has been tried - passports in maiden name but i took marriage cert etc
Going to try different office in Orange County
When you fill out the SS application, are you asking for the SS to be issued in your married name, or maiden name? Fill out an application both ways...if they say you can't get a SS issued in your married name because your in the system in your maiden name, say OK and hand over the application filled out in your maiden name.

Bring your passport with K-1 visa inside, your green card, and your marriage certificate to the appointment.

Rene
Old Oct 18th 2011, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noorah101
When you fill out the SS application, are you asking for the SS to be issued in your married name, or maiden name? Fill out an application both ways...if they say you can't get a SS issued in your married name because your in the system in your maiden name, say OK and hand over the application filled out in your maiden name.

Bring your passport with K-1 visa inside, your green card, and your marriage certificate to the appointment.

Rene
I cant even get as far as filling out a form - they wont let me progress because of this name discrepancy - I dont care what name the SS card is in I just want a card but have been told that "their computers are talking to USCIS computers and the names dont match"
Im going to deffo go to another office and see what I can do - yep will take all the info above
thank you!!
Old Oct 18th 2011, 10:55 am

I cant even get as far as filling out a form -
The form can be filled out online and printed out. Take the completed form with you to the SS office. http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ss5.htm

In your case, fill one out in your married name, fill out a second one in your maiden name, and just hand over whichever one they'll accept.

Rene
Old Oct 18th 2011, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The form can be filled out online and printed out. Take the completed form with you to the SS office. http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ss5.htm

In your case, fill one out in your married name, fill out a second one in your maiden name, and just hand over whichever one they'll accept.

Rene
Thank you so much !!!!
it seems harder for me to get the SSN than it was the Green Card!
Old Oct 19th 2011, 5:26 am
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

You have my sympathy. In my experience the SS office employs a lot of people who failed to get jobs at the DMV.

When I took my paperwork and (ink still fresh) US passport in to a SS office to get my citizenship updated they insisted they could not do it without seeing my naturalization certificate as well. When referred to a supervisor it was explained to me that they needed proof I had become a citizen by naturalization, rather than being born one. Even showing them their own form, with instructions on what to show as evidence, was not enough to change their minds.

While I would have loved to rip their empty heads (think of the instant satisfaction!) off I simply got in the car and drove to another SS office. Guess what? Records updated and not a mention of the naturalization certificate.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: SSN Number

Hurrah finally finally I have my social security number!!!
Off to take my test now - well after a few driving lessons!!!! and husband will now have me out to work!!!! (booo)

thanks for your input over my last issue before removal of conditions in couple of years!!! blimey!