Wikiposts

SSN via EAD

Old May 5th 2009, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

whatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of light
Default SSN via EAD

My SSN card has "for work authorization only" as I applied for my SSN after receiving my EAD.

IF I get my GC will I need a new SSN or no?

I know that ONE SSN is with you for life, I just want to know about IF I were to get a GC would I get a new SSN card WITHOUT the "for work authorization only" written on it.
Old May 5th 2009, 8:44 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN via EAD

Originally Posted by whatadiva
My SSN card has "for work authorization only" as I applied for my SSN after receiving my EAD.

IF I get my GC will I need a new SSN or no?

I know that ONE SSN is with you for life, I just want to know about IF I were to get a GC would I get a new SSN card WITHOUT the "for work authorization only" written on it.
Yes. When you receive your green card (not sure why you say "if", are you expecting to be denied?), you will need to bring your green card, passport, and a new SS application to the SS office. They will update your records and send you a new SS card without the legend on it. As you already know, the SSN stays the same.

See this related thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=607342

Rene
Old May 5th 2009, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

whatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes. When you receive your green card (not sure why you say "if", are you expecting to be denied?), you will need to bring your green card, passport, and a new SS application to the SS office. They will update your records and send you a new SS card without the legend on it. As you already know, the SSN stays the same.

See this related thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=607342

Rene
thanks noorah I say "if" because remember I am adjusting from VWP. And not always will a person be successful in getting the GC via that route. I am hopeful though
Old May 5th 2009, 9:33 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

wad,

No, it doesn't. It has just the opposite.

Read it again.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by whatadiva
My SSN card has "for work authorization only"