Wikiposts

SSN Question

Old Jun 23rd 2008, 10:31 am
Just Joined

lindapugh is just really nicelindapugh is just really nicelindapugh is just really nicelindapugh is just really nicelindapugh is just really nicelindapugh is just really nicelindapugh is just really nicelindapugh is just really nice
Default SSN Question

Ok so today I went to my local SS office to apply for a SSN. I am on a K1 Visa (not yet married) and have been here 4 weeks. They said i couldnt apply for a SSN as I didnt have a EAD yet. I walked away thinking ok.. I need to get married first, then change my status, get the EAD and then I can get my SSN. Well after looking on these forums that doesnt appear to be the case! Can someone please let me know, in order, what I need to do!!!
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 10:40 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN Question

Originally Posted by lindapugh
Ok so today I went to my local SS office to apply for a SSN. I am on a K1 Visa (not yet married) and have been here 4 weeks. They said i couldnt apply for a SSN as I didnt have a EAD yet. I walked away thinking ok.. I need to get married first, then change my status, get the EAD and then I can get my SSN. Well after looking on these forums that doesnt appear to be the case! Can someone please let me know, in order, what I need to do!!!
Quick, go to another SSA office and apply before you've been here 76 days. After that, too late.

And watch for my soon to come thread on the topic.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 11:40 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You ARE eligible for the SSN based on your K-1 status. Either go back to that SS office and ask for a supervisor, or try another SS office.

Rene
Old Jun 24th 2008, 12:47 am
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute

And if you do go back, try taking a copy of the famous SSA Policy Memo that shows K1 holders are allows to be issued with an SSN - https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms....0!opendocument
Old Jun 24th 2008, 7:11 am
Just Joined

lindapugh is just really nicelindapugh is just really nicelindapugh is just really nicelindapugh is just really nicelindapugh is just really nicelindapugh is just really nicelindapugh is just really nicelindapugh is just really nice

thankyou so much for your help, I knew it!!!
Old Jun 24th 2008, 7:21 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Knight
And if you do go back, try taking a copy of the famous SSA Policy Memo that shows K1 holders are allows to be issued with an SSN - https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms....0!opendocument
Heads up, A. SSA is demanding clarification from DHS about this. I guess they are getting sick of hearing about it and know that it makes no sense either.
There may finally be resolution on this 'incident to status' business afterall....
Old Jun 25th 2008, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

yeah well, I went back to the SS Office and quoted there website about the conditions for getting a SSN. They werent having it lol. They said I was "misinterpreting" the rules. Whatever. They dont know what they are doing. So no SSN for me!!!
Old Jun 25th 2008, 4:41 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lindapugh
yeah well, I went back to the SS Office and quoted there website about the conditions for getting a SSN. They werent having it lol. They said I was "misinterpreting" the rules. Whatever. They dont know what they are doing. So no SSN for me!!!
That's baloney. My fiance got his SSN by showing his passport with the K-1 visa in it, and his unexpired I-94.

Go to a different SS office.

Rene
Old Jun 25th 2008, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

LadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud of

Hi
Try this link it might help you out a little.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/ss5doc...&Submit=Submit

Good luck