Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

SSN Number Application Question

Wikiposts

SSN Number Application Question

Old Nov 4th 2004, 2:42 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all
Default Re: SSN Number Application Question

Originally Posted by hopelessinks
HI Patrick

I went straight from the interview with EAD card in hand and applied for my SSN a couple of hours later...they wanted my birthcertifcate, marriage license, EAD, and any other ID I had, I used my drivers license and military ID...but I did have every piece of ID on me as I had all my papers from the interview...they issued me my number 10 days later and my card will arrive about a week later...

Does your EAD have any restrictions on it?...mine just says none where the restrictions box is!

So I am wondering if this means my SSN card will have no restrictions either!...anyone know what will be on it??

Julie
My card where "terms & conditions" has NONE also in this section, I presume this just means that I can work without restrictions for the duration of the EAD.

Gonna go later today and apply for SSN and see what happens , the girl just asked for my passport yesterday as id when I was at the SS office.
Patrick
Old Nov 4th 2004, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hopelessinks
So I am wondering if this means my SSN card will have no restrictions either!...anyone know what will be on it??
You SSN card will have the restrictions on it (or at least it should). Once you get your I-551 stamp you can go back and have the restrictions lifted.
Old Nov 4th 2004, 7:44 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Patrick,

There seems to be no definitive answer to these questions. I can only report to you that my wife went directly from the USCIS office to the nearby SSA office after being given an interim EAD and was approved for a SS card. they couldn't tell her her number on the spot, but the card arrives in the mail less than 2 weeks later as advertised.

Total time between being handed the EAD and turning in the SS card application was perhaps 1 hour, including both travel time between offices and waiting time at the SSA office.

Perhaps your luck will be this good, perhaps not. The only way to find out is to try.

Regards, JEff
Thanks for that info.

Did your wife have conditions "valid only with INS authorization" on her SS card?

And what does that mean anyway?
Old Nov 4th 2004, 8:12 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Thanks for that info.

Did your wife have conditions "valid only with INS authorization" on her SS card?

it means simply that the person is here on a visa and/or is pending adjustment and is entitled to work but only with express authorization from CIS, i.e. K-1 visa, K-3 visa, pending I-485 (not pending I-130), etc.

When you have been approved for adjustment of status and are a permanent resident (condition or unconditional) the legend can be removed by going to the SSA and showing them your I-551 stamp and/or your green card and asking for a new card without the legend. The number will remain the same.

When you become a USC you go to the SSA and update your status as US Citizens are accorded benefits not available to non-citizens. Did I get the last sentence right Michael Young?

Rete
Old Nov 4th 2004, 8:13 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that info.

My husband has that on his SS card, after entering on a K1 visa. It means his SS card is only good for work as long as he has valid USCIS work authorization (EAD).

Rene
Old Nov 4th 2004, 8:22 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rete and Rene for the clarification.

About to file EAD to get an SSN for tax returns so I'm re-enetring the land of stupid questions.

(I know I don't NEED the SSN for tax returns it's just prompted us to do the EAD and get the SSN).
Old Nov 4th 2004, 8:23 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

CB,

Yes, my wife does have the conditional notation on her SS card. What it means is that having an SS card doe not indicate to an employer that she can be hired. (See the documentation that an employer must see for any employee they hire - Form I-9.)

The SSA cannot authorize an alien to work, only the USCIS can do that. Despite the fact that many poeple refer to EADs as "permanent" and "temporary", there is no such thing as a permanent EAD. All EADs are temporary, the employment authorization is going to expire. So the SSA puts the notation on the SS card to remind employers to verify that the alien has current, valid, employment authorization.

The notation can be removed when an alien achieves LPR status.

Regards, JEff

Thanks for that info.

Old Nov 4th 2004, 8:27 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

CB,

Regards, JEff
JEff,

I thought they could be removed with the alien achieves PR status, either L or C. No?

Rene
Old Nov 4th 2004, 8:29 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CB,

Yes, my wife does have the conditional notation on her SS card. What it means is that having an SS card doe not indicate to an employer that she can be hired. (See the documentation that an employer must see for any employee they hire - Form I-9.)

The SSA cannot authorize an alien to work, only the USCIS can do that. Despite the fact that many poeple refer to EADs as "permanent" and "temporary", there is no such thing as a permanent EAD. All EADs are temporary, the employment authorization is going to expire. So the SSA puts the notation on the SS card to remind employers to verify that the alien has current, valid, employment authorization.

Regards, JEff
Thanks for that Jeff. I'll be back with more later
Old Nov 4th 2004, 8:30 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

Originally Posted by Noorah101
JEff,

I thought they could be removed with the alien achieves PR status, either L or C. No?

Rene
Ok, I'm back. Isn't CPR the same in this case as LPR? As in, even if it's conditional it's still legal?
Old Nov 4th 2004, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold

Ok, I'm back. Isn't CPR the same in this case as LPR? As in, even if it's conditional it's still legal?
A lawful permanent resident with conditions attached is still a lawful permanent resident.
Old Nov 4th 2004, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by sphyrapicus
A lawful permanent resident with conditions attached is still a lawful permanent resident.
Can someone with CPR status have the work authorization notation removed from the SS card?

Rene
Old Nov 4th 2004, 9:42 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Can someone with CPR status have the work authorization notation removed from the SS card?

Rene
Yes, darling.
Always better to ask the question you really want the answer to
Old Nov 4th 2004, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by meauxna
Yes, darling.
Always better to ask the question you really want the answer to
LOL, thanks again Mo. I figured one of these times I'll phrase it right.

Rene
Old Nov 4th 2004, 12:35 pm
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all

Ok, went to SS office and applied for my number, the girl that handled it said that I can still call and check next week and that if it is in the system they will still issue a SSN regardless of any manual verification which they may do.
Is she lying or is this possible? I waited for over an hour to apply and so I just wanted to get it done.
Has anyone ever done this? i.e. applied for thier number, have SS do a manual verification and still get a number issued by the local office once they show up on their system?

Patrick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.