Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

SSN Number Application Question

Wikiposts

SSN Number Application Question

Old Nov 3rd 2004, 1:35 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all
Default SSN Number Application Question

Ok, just to clarify and get some input to "what you did" , I get my EAD later today and wonder should I just go down to the local Social Security office and apply for SSN OR should I wait till next week and then apply. Will it make any difference?
Also will my passport and Ead be enough id or Social Security? What documentation do I need?

Just iinterested in what everyone else did.
Patrick
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

Rukhie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: SSN Number Application Question

Originally Posted by inquisitive40
Ok, just to clarify and get some input to "what you did" , I get my EAD later today and wonder should I just go down to the local Social Security office and apply for SSN OR should I wait till next week and then apply. Will it make any difference?
Also will my passport and Ead be enough id or Social Security? What documentation do I need?

Patrick

I think you should be ok.
My hubby had his temporary EAd from the airport (stamp from JFK) and his K1 visa stamp in his passport and this was enough for him to get his SSN. but the SSN card has 'only valid with ins authorization' or something written on it. once he gets his green card, he'll be able to remove that from his SSN card.
good luck!
rukhie
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 2:18 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Patrick
I agree with Rukhie, you should be OK. All you need is your passport and EAD, as far as I know. IF they say you are not "in the system" yet, then go ahead and try again in a few days or next week. But I think I read on here someone else who went straight over to SS office and they were fine. And yes, it will have that blurb about "valid only with INS authorization", which can be removed after you get your PR status. SSA needs to update that stamp to say USCIS instead of INS!

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 2:51 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I agree with Rukhie, you should be OK. All you need is your passport and EAD, as far as I know. IF they say you are not "in the system" yet, then go ahead and try again in a few days or next week. But I think I read on here someone else who went straight over to SS office and they were fine. And yes, it will have that blurb about "valid only with INS authorization", which can be removed after you get your PR status. SSA needs to update that stamp to say USCIS instead of INS!

Best Wishes,
Rene

So if I am not in the SAVE system, will they still let me apply OR will I have to come back and check again and only when I come up on their system can I apply??
Patrick
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 3:20 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

So if I am not in the SAVE system, will they still let me apply OR will I have to come back and check again and only when I come up on their system can I apply??
Patrick
If you're not in the SAVE system, then they will accept your application, but will do a manual verification, and that could take up to 10 weeks or so to get your card in the mail. And, you don't get that letter that says you've applied, until the verification comes back (8 weeks or so)

They will let you go without submitting your application so you can check back another day. When you're in the SAVE system, it only takes a couple of weeks to get your card in the mail. That's the route I would take if I were you. Hopefully, though, you'll be in the SAVE system on your first visit.

Rene
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 3:38 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

If you're not in the SAVE system, then they will accept your application, but will do a manual verification, and that could take up to 10 weeks or so to get your card in the mail. And, you don't get that letter that says you've applied, until the verification comes back (8 weeks or so)

They will let you go without submitting your application so you can check back another day. When you're in the SAVE system, it only takes a couple of weeks to get your card in the mail. That's the route I would take if I were you. Hopefully, though, you'll be in the SAVE system on your first visit.

Rene
So then going to the Social Security office on the way home from picking up my EAD would be a waste of time? When do I get entered into the SAVE system? Is it only "after" I pickup my EAD?
Patrick
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 3:41 am

So then going to the Social Security office on the way home from picking up my EAD would be a waste of time? When do I get entered into the SAVE system? Is it only "after" I pickup my EAD?
Patrick
On that, I have no idea. Seems to me I've seen at least one person on this forum get the SSN the same day as the EAD. I don't know what criteria USCIS uses to put you in the SAVE system. It's worth a shot, isn't it, as long as you're out and about? Maybe you'll be successful

Rene
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 3:43 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

On that, I have no idea. Seems to me I've seen at least one person on this forum get the SSN the same day as the EAD. I don't know what criteria USCIS uses to put you in the SAVE system. It's worth a shot, isn't it, as long as you're out and about? Maybe you'll be successful

Rene
Well that is true, only thing is there normally are huge queus at the Social Security office locally and so could take a long time to be seen and then find I am not in the SAVE system.
Is it a number on the EAD card they go by?
Patrick
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 4:20 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Patrick,

There seems to be no definitive answer to these questions. I can only report to you that my wife went directly from the USCIS office to the nearby SSA office after being given an interim EAD and was approved for a SS card. they couldn't tell her her number on the spot, but the card arrives in the mail less than 2 weeks later as advertised.

Total time between being handed the EAD and turning in the SS card application was perhaps 1 hour, including both travel time between offices and waiting time at the SSA office.

Perhaps your luck will be this good, perhaps not. The only way to find out is to try.

Regards, JEff

Patrick
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 4:26 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Patrick,

There seems to be no definitive answer to these questions. I can only report to you that my wife went directly from the USCIS office to the nearby SSA office after being given an interim EAD and was approved for a SS card. they couldn't tell her her number on the spot, but the card arrives in the mail less than 2 weeks later as advertised.

Total time between being handed the EAD and turning in the SS card application was perhaps 1 hour, including both travel time between offices and waiting time at the SSA office.

Perhaps your luck will be this good, perhaps not. The only way to find out is to try.

Regards, JEff
Ok, think then it is worth a try
Patrick
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 5:55 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy

I wonder if this was due to a different status at entry?
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 6:00 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

Originally Posted by meauxna
Yes, I am thinking that unless they automatically update the system when they mail out the letter to go and pick up the EAD, then it would probably be at time of picking up the EAD and then the speed of Social Security getting updated would depend on how the systems are networked together and the way they update against each other.
Patrick
BTW, Passport, I-485 receipt notice and letter o pick up EAD are all that I need to take to the Office to collect EAD? That is all they have listed in the letter.
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 10:05 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

meauxna,

My wife entered as a K3, so she did not become eligible for a SS card until the interim EAD was issued.

Did the USCIS official update SAVE at the time she approved the interim EAD?
Or did the SSA official fail to check SAVE and approve the SS card application on the basis of the documentation that my wife showed her?

Ahhhhh, the mysteries of life!

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by meauxna
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 12:02 pm
Don't Know, Don't Care

Full details of getting EAD in this new thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...15#post1784015
Old Nov 4th 2004, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

hopelessinks is a jewel in the roughhopelessinks is a jewel in the roughhopelessinks is a jewel in the roughhopelessinks is a jewel in the rough

Full details of getting EAD in this new thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...15#post1784015
HI Patrick

I went straight from the interview with EAD card in hand and applied for my SSN a couple of hours later...they wanted my birthcertifcate, marriage license, EAD, and any other ID I had, I used my drivers license and military ID...but I did have every piece of ID on me as I had all my papers from the interview...they issued me my number 10 days later and my card will arrive about a week later...

Does your EAD have any restrictions on it?...mine just says none where the restrictions box is!

So I am wondering if this means my SSN card will have no restrictions either!...anyone know what will be on it??

Julie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.