Wikiposts

SSN Nightmare

Old Oct 20th 2010, 7:09 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN Nightmare

Excellent!!

Rene
Old Oct 20th 2010, 7:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by randomgirl
RESULT!!!

I got a reply from my email just now - about an hour after I sent the email!

It states:

"We sent a fax to the office manager of the North Phoenix Social Security Card Center stating what happened when you tried to apply for your Social Security number. We also called to make sure it was received.
The office manager said that you should come back into the office to apply, and to ask for him if your application is not accepted."

It also states:

"Note: Marriage does not affect an individual with K-1 status's eligibility to be assigned an SSN, or issued a card."

I hope we see that silly woman from yesterday so I can laugh in her face for spouting such rubbish! An apology would be nice, but I doubt we'll get one! Really all I care about it getting my SSN now.

I must admit I'm impressed with the super fast response from SSA, and the fact that they gave me the correct information. It's also nice to know they've spoken to the manager at the North Phoenix office, maybe now their staff will get the appropriate training to adequately do their jobs.

Thanks everyone for your help, we really appreciate it - as always you've been a great support!

xx
Bring the e-mail with you in case the office manager is not in the office that day.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

randomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Michael
Bring the e-mail with you in case the office manager is not in the office that day.
We definitely will! I've just printed it out. We're going in just over an hour so hopefully he's still there when we get there.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

randomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Excellent!!

Rene
My sentiments exactly! I'm surprised you didn't hear me cheering when I read that email, hehe.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 7:31 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

RESULT!!!

I hope we see that silly woman from yesterday so I can laugh in her face for spouting such rubbish! An apology would be nice, but I doubt we'll get one! Really all I care about it getting my SSN now.

I must admit I'm impressed with the super fast response from SSA, and the fact that they gave me the correct information. It's also nice to know they've spoken to the manager at the North Phoenix office, maybe now their staff will get the appropriate training to adequately do their jobs.
Good news.

Now go, be KIND to the confused lady, and be the gracious recipient of the personalized service you just got (I'm serious).

I will post a big for him and suggest you post *thank yous* to the Big Giant Head who watches over us and answers emails.
thanks, buddy!
Old Oct 20th 2010, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by meauxna
Good news.

Now go, be KIND to the confused lady, and be the gracious recipient of the personalized service you just got (I'm serious).

I will post a big for him and suggest you post *thank yous* to the Big Giant Head who watches over us and answers emails.
thanks, buddy!
Oh we are very gracious, don't worry! And I wouldn't dare to actually be rude to her, but I might be in my head, lol.

It's amazing to have such wonderful people here (and other places!!) who are always willing to help - I don't know if I'd have been able to navigate the whole visa thing without you!

RG
Old Oct 20th 2010, 8:10 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Good news.

thanks, buddy!
Big Hugs and Thank You Giant Head. You're a good guy to have around in a pinch.

Random ... play at being a gracious southern lady ;-) They were only telling you what they were told somewhere along the line. At least you didn't get threatened with removal from the SS office by force like we did.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 8:26 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete

Random ... play at being a gracious southern lady ;-) They were only telling you what they were told somewhere along the line. At least you didn't get threatened with removal from the SS office by force like we did.
I don't remember that story! Do tell!
Old Oct 20th 2010, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rete

Hehe, only because we walked out shaking our heads when it was crystal clear we weren't getting anywhere (when the line, "You're not a K1 visa holder anymore, it's changed to a K3," was said one too many times!).
They were so condescending!

At least one good thing to come out of this is that hopefully the staff in that particular Card Center will get some training and this same thing won't happen to someone else. I mean, someone without any knowledge whatsoever of the AOS thing might have bought into their rubbish about having to go to DHS to tell them we got married and get the I-94 changed... *sigh*

All's well that ends well, I guess! And it looks as though it'll end well in, oh, about an hour.

Thanks guys!
Old Oct 20th 2010, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

I don't remember that story! Do tell!
Yes, please do! It sounds like an interesting one!!
Old Oct 20th 2010, 9:59 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

In case we don't get anywhere with this, how will not having a SSN affect my AOS?
It won't.

We'd like to open a joint account but my hubby's bank won't let us because I don't have a SSN.
You don't need a SSN. You need a "unique identifier" and your passport will suffice for that. In case anyone mentions it, it is NOT part of the US Patriot Act. If the teller doesn't let you open an account, ask to speak to the manager. If the manager says no, tell him you will be informing the media of his arbitrary position, and go elsewhere.

Ian
Old Oct 20th 2010, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
It won't.

You don't need a SSN. You need a "unique identifier" and your passport will suffice for that. In case anyone mentions it, it is NOT part of the US Patriot Act. If the teller doesn't let you open an account, ask to speak to the manager. If the manager says no, tell him you will be informing the media of his arbitrary position, and go elsewhere.

Ian
Thanks Ian.

I actually - eventually - managed to get them to accept my application today. Unfortunately for us we got the same woman as yesterday, and she still had to make things difficult for us. She asked us twice if we've updated my K3 (um, no, it's a K1 and you don't know what you're talking about!!) and then got her colleague who we also spoke to yesterday. I'd already given her the email from the SSA, stating that marriage does not alter the fact that I'm eligible for a SSN since I'm still an in-status K1 visa holder. They really tried hard to get rid of us, they told us they'd need to speak to the manager who was in a meeting and they didn't know how long he'd be and asked if we wanted to wait, heavily emphasising how it could be ages. I said that we weren't going to make a third trip so we would wait. They looked really surprised that we wanted to wait, I think they expected us to just leave so we wouldn't be their problem anymore! They went around the corner where I could actually hear them discussing my case with a man (I'm assuming he was the manager) and the original woman came back a few minutes later to tell me that he'd approved my application. They're going to issue my SSN in my married name because we took our marriage certificate with us. Why they couldn't have done this yesterday I have no idea, but it shouldn't have been such a hassle.

Considering that we were dealing with the exact same person as yesterday, it would have been nice if she could have perhaps said something vaguely resembling an apology for the inconvenience she caused us, but no. All she did was sigh repeatedly while she was inputting my information.

Anyway, the main thing is that I should get my SSN in a couple of weeks. In the meantime we're going to enjoy our honeymoon in San Diego!

Thanks again everyone

RG x
Old Oct 27th 2010, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats & enjoy your honeymoon!

I'm in Phoenix just now, headed home at the weekend to pack up house and bring wife & dogs back - we arrive 9 Nov for the start of our new lives here...

And will need to be applying for SSNs etc, so I'm interested, and slightly worried (!) about any poor experiences people are having with the offices in Phoenix.

I guess our situation is simpler - I'm on an L1, and The Boss is on L2. I came in on my L1 on 18 Oct, so I'm hoping the SSN application process and time to get the actual card will be a quick breeze....

I'm sorting banks etc out with AIG - very helpful service I'm getting with them, by the way.

Is there anything else I should know about with the application process?

Cheers

Harry