Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

SSN with L1 approval notice (form I797A): why would SSA want to see actual visa?

Wikiposts

SSN with L1 approval notice (form I797A): why would SSA want to see actual visa?

Old Dec 29th 2001, 12:10 pm
Accoma

Hello everybody, I hope somebody can give me advice on this.

I entered USA on B1 visa. While in the US, I've received L1 Approval Notice Form
I797A. The form clearly says "The foreign worker can work for the
petitioner[.....],....separate employment authorisation documentation is not
required". The lower part of the notice is a replacement Form I94, which I did staple
to original I94 (the one stamped when I entered US, on B1 status). So far, so good.

I went to a SSA's office in order to get a SSN.....big surprise!!! I showed them
I797, passport and replacement I94 stapled to original one but they said no SSN until
they see actual visa (L1) on passport. Form SS-5 (application for SSN) says SSA needs
to see proofs of Age, Identity, Lawful Alien Status. Questions: "Is or isn't approval
notice form I797 proof of Lawful Alien Status (non immigrant worker authorized to
work)? Why the I94 that comes with the form is not enough to get SSN?

Last but not least, I'm not planning to travel outside US (no need for a visa...) for
some time.

I'm a little confused, right now: what should I do in order to get SSN (which
employer wants)? Do I need to get SSN rigth away? Do I need to plan a travel outside
the US? Any advice?

Thanks, AccoMa

Old Dec 29th 2001, 2:51 pm
Stuart

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

This is the SSA gone crazy. An actual visa means absolutely nothing to your legal
status - this is the media confusing people with their "overstayed their visa" talk.
A visa is nothing more than permission to appear at a port of entry. You can have a
visa and still be illegally in the USA!

Your I-94 (with the I-797) is proof of your lawful status in the USA.

Go back to the SSA, if necessary with a letter from your imm. atty.
straightening them out.

Stuart

Stuart

Old Dec 29th 2001, 8:51 pm
Wd-40

I'm a little confused too, there are enough ready, willing, and able people here with
the number stamped on their forehead who are prepared to do the type of job you are
trying to do, so what's the need for another number?

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >