SSN. Did I mess up?

Old Aug 29th 2013, 4:41 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default SSN. Did I mess up?

Looking at my SSN card for the first time in years. It states "Valid for work only with DHS Authorisation"

I was K1 in 2004, conditional PR for 2 years and PR ever since. As far as I can remember I only ever had this card. Was there a point I was meant to apply for one without the above wording? Or is that coming after I get citizenship?

I use the number frequently, but can't remember the last time I had to show the card to anyone, so it does not seem to matter much either way, but there must be a purpose that I am overlooking?
Old Aug 29th 2013, 4:58 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN. Did I mess up?

I don't think you would ever need to show it to anyone, as far as I am aware the card is for your own reference.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 5:09 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I don't think you would ever need to show it to anyone, as far as I am aware the card is for your own reference.
That's my thinking too, but it begs the question - why is the wording there then!
Old Aug 29th 2013, 5:47 am
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Back in the dark recesses of my mind, I remember this being discussed before. I believe that the wording is there to ensure that the SSN is presented with a work authorization. Once you have a green card in hand, you can go to the ss office and apply for a new card without the wording. I'm not sure what difference it makes.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 5:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Also long as you have a green card or are a USC, it really doesn't matter what it says on the social security card.

The only time I would think it would matter would be if an employer asked to see your social security card and it had that notation and you didn't have anything with you to prove that you are authorized to work.

BTW, I lost my social security prior to being 17 years old and have never been asked for it. Even when I applied for social security and Medicare, they just asked me what my social security number was and I had to provide a birth certificate. Maybe when e-verify is required, then it may be important but as of now, a green card authorizes you to work and it doesn't matter what is in the social security database or on the social security card. However it is much more difficult to forge a green card than to forge a social security card so I doubt e-verify would trump a green card.

Last edited by Michael; Aug 29th 2013 at 6:12 am.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 11:45 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
Looking at my SSN card for the first time in years. It states "Valid for work only with DHS Authorisation"

I was K1 in 2004, conditional PR for 2 years and PR ever since.
The SS card wording would have been necessary when you had an EAD. Most people apply for a replacement card without the wording once they get a GC, but there is no obligation to do so. As long as you have the GC, it supersedes the wording on the SS card.

Remove it... don't remove it... entirely up to you.

Ian
Old Aug 29th 2013, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

The only time I've actually had to present my SSC rather than quote my SSN has been at the DMV to get my Learner's Permit. This may be a NYS thing.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 2:06 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Frankly as Ian said it doesn't matter but if asked to produce it and it still has the verbage on it, you will have to also present your green card.

Please note that once you have US Citizenship you most definitely need to take your naturalization certificate in person to the social security administration office and have your status upgraded to US Citizen.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 9:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
..... Please note that once you have US Citizenship you most definitely need to take your naturalization certificate in person to the social security administration office and have your status upgraded to US Citizen.
I came in on a marriage visa, so I was authorised to work from the day I arrived and eligible for citizenship three years later. Was I supposed to take my naturalization certificate to the SS admin office to have my status changed to reflect my US Citizenship?
Old Aug 29th 2013, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Please note that once you have US Citizenship you most definitely need to take your naturalization certificate in person to the social security administration office and have your status upgraded to US Citizen.
Many oath ceremonies will have tables set up for SS, voter reg and sometimes passport so you can do all at once after the ceremony.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 9:41 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

In order to complete the I-9, one must show 1) proof of identity and 2) proof of authorization to work.

Some documents will do both: e.g. US passport, I-551 card, EAD, etc.

In regards to documents that show authorization to work without showing identity the un-endorsed SSN card will do the trick. Usually, this is the case with US born american citizens.

BTW, I understand that the SSA and DHS computers do "talk" when an endorsed SSN gets earnings credited to it. But I also understand that the DHS computer will go "I'm cool with that."

OP may want to make an on-line self-check with the E-verify people.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 9:51 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Was I supposed to take my naturalization certificate to the SS admin office to have my status changed to reflect my US Citizenship?
Were you obligated to? No. Would it be a really good idea? Yes!

Real life lesson from my personal experience: I applied for a FAFSA loan to help with tuition when I went back to school. The loan was denied because even though I indicated that I was a USC, when they checked with SSA, my status did not reflect that... and my application was flagged. Once I confirmed my status with SSA, the loan was subsequently approved.

Having SSA know you're a USC may also help your family when it comes to death benefits!

Ian
Old Aug 29th 2013, 11:09 pm
BE Irregular

Thanks everyone. Glad I did not miss something important - I was only thinking about such things as I recently put my Citizenship application in. I had a paranoid moment.

I did the self check, Mr F suggested, and am work authorized (was never in doubt about that). It is a pretty slick tool.

I will be sure to get the upgraded card once the citizenship is done.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

KCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I came in on a marriage visa, so I was authorised to work from the day I arrived and eligible for citizenship three years later. Was I supposed to take my naturalization certificate to the SS admin office to have my status changed to reflect my US Citizenship?
Yes! Please do it right away!!!!
Old Aug 30th 2013, 5:33 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by KCK_DR
Yes!
As I noted earlier, there is no obligation to update your status with SSA... but it's a good idea!

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.