SSN. Did I mess up?

Old Aug 30th 2013, 6:37 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN. Did I mess up?

Originally Posted by KCK_DR
Yes! Please do it right away!!!!
Why?
Old Aug 30th 2013, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

KCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
Why?
Social Security Administration is such a central part of the bureaucracy here in the states that having them know that you are a U.S.C. can save you time when background checks are done.

I will give you a scenario (I used to work for a D.A.):

A background check is done to check info on a naturalized U.S. Citizen by the D.A.'s office and it comes back as LPR so the guy is going to be held for ICE since he is accused of a felony.

Scenario two (2):

A background check is done to check info on a naturalized U.S. Citizen by the by a government employer and despite your assertion that you are a U.S.C. different information comes down from SSA, you are not called for an interview although you may be the best qualified candidate because they don't want to deal with you since you either made a false claim on your resume or you did not do your due diligence.

Scenario three (3):

Something goes wrong and you need to apply for disability, doing this kind of paperwork last minute can be difficult and add to the stresses of that moment.

In any case, doing your housekeeping so to speak and having your affairs in order can avoid problems with the bureaucracy in the future.

Last edited by KCK_DR; Aug 30th 2013 at 6:53 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 7:47 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

If a background check reveals conflicting information coming from the SSA about a person's imigration status, the status should be verified with USCIS. USCIS, not the SSA, is the authoritative source of information about an immigrant's status.

Regards, JEff
Old Aug 30th 2013, 7:49 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
If a background check reveals conflicting information coming from the SSA about a person's imigration status, the status should be verified with USCIS. USCIS, not the SSA, is the authoritative source of information about an immigrant's status.

Regards, JEff
I concur
Old Aug 30th 2013, 8:03 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Social Security Administration is such a central part of the bureaucracy...
I think we all understand why it's a good idea... but I believe the question was geared to why you answered "Yes" in response to the question: "Was I supposed to do this?"

The simple answer is, in fact, "no"... it was not something he was supposed to do. It's totally optional, although it remains a really good idea!

I used to work for a D.A.
Well, that explains it then... you've learned to focus on only one aspect of a question and not the entire question!

Ian
Old Aug 30th 2013, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

KCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Well, that explains it then... you've learned to focus on only one aspect of a question and not the entire question!

Ian
Fair enough! (LOL)

It is a great idea to have your ducks in a row that is what I was trying to convey.
Old Aug 31st 2013, 11:04 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

It is a great idea to have your ducks in a row...
Agree 100%!

Ian
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

jxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond repute

I went to the SSA office to get an updated card removing the "work with DHS authorization language" in my social security card after receiving my green card. It was a free and easy process. The only hassle was waiting for my number to be called. If I ever lose my green card, my social security card combined with my driver license can be used as evidence of work authorization.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

Cadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,
I have just experienced a glitch with this "valid for work only with DHS authorisation". I am a teacher and the district refuse to accept it until the statement is removed. Regardless of the fact that it's accompanied by a green card. They are insistent that I must apply for a new card to be valid and employable.
I think they're wrong, but then I also think they are idiots.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Cadenza-93
Hi,
I have just experienced a glitch with this "valid for work only with DHS authorisation". I am a teacher and the district refuse to accept it until the statement is removed. Regardless of the fact that it's accompanied by a green card. They are insistent that I must apply for a new card to be valid and employable.
I believe that they are very, very wrong. If you have a Green Card that is your authorization. I never show my SSN card anymore to anyone. The Green Card should be more than enough.

On the other hand, you should get that removed, there maybe some notation in the system for you that might need to be removed. I had a similar problem and had to speak to an SSA supervisor to get it shorted out.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 5:15 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cadenza-93
Hi,
If you have a green card, you should go to the local SS office and get a new card with the legend removed, as it's now incorrect. You no longer require DHS authorization.

I think your employer is being picky...your SSN won't change...and you are still completely employable the way it stands right now. In order to comply with the I-9 USCIS Verification of Employment that the employer needs to submit, simply showing your green card is enough (you don't need to show your SS card). However, some employes DO need a copy of your SS card (my company is one of those), so to see that legend just throws them for a loop.

But it's also true that you really should get a new card with the legend removed, as it no longer applies.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Feb 4th 2014 at 5:17 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 5:20 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
OP may want to make an on-line self-check with the E-verify people.
I just tried.

Sorry, we are unable to give you access to the Self Check service at this time because the third party identity assurance service was unable to generate enough information about you in order to create a quiz to confirm your identity. The information you provided has not been checked against U.S. government databases for employment eligibility.

Is this because I have only been in the country 9 months?

UPDATE: Looks like the site is broken. From searching Google others have success by leaving the SSN field blank initially. I did this and was then able to be prompted to confirm my identity via credit report questions. After that was completed I was prompted to enter my SSN and GC details.

Last edited by hungryhorace; Feb 4th 2014 at 5:31 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
I just tried.

Sorry, we are unable to give you access to the Self Check service at this time because the third party identity assurance service was unable to generate enough information about you in order to create a quiz to confirm your identity. The information you provided has not been checked against U.S. government databases for employment eligibility.

Is this because I have only been in the country 9 months?

UPDATE: Looks like the site is broken. From searching Google others have success by leaving the SSN field blank initially. I did this and was then able to be prompted to confirm my identity via credit report questions. After that was completed I was prompted to enter my SSN and GC details.
I tried self check, but because I have a block with a credit bureau so I can protect my credit from ID theft, it could not provide me with a self check question.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 6:23 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I tried self check, but because I have a block with a credit bureau so I can protect my credit from ID theft, it could not provide me with a self check question.
I'm a USC from birth, and I tried it. I got as far as the page where it asks for either your SS info or your US Passport Info. Since I don't have my passport with me right now, I tried to choose SS info (from the drop down menu) and it wouldn't let me. So I had to quit.

Rene
Old Feb 4th 2014, 7:26 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Since I don't have my passport with me right now, I tried to choose SS info (from the drop down menu) and it wouldn't let me.
If you're doing this from work, it's likely that your company is blocking certain files from displaying - and so preventing you from getting farther. Try it from home... see what happens.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.