Reload this Page >

SSN application - I-94 record blank

Wikiposts

SSN application - I-94 record blank

Old Sep 22nd 2006, 9:13 am
Just Joined

wallywally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SSN application - I-94 record blank

I arrived in CA mid August on an L1A visa and went to apply for my SSN the following day. Everything went smoothly except when my I-94 record was looked up it was blank.

I was told to wait a couple of weeks and it wooudl arrive, nothing appeared to I went back today.

The I-94 reocord is still blank.

Anyone else had a similar experience? How long did the process take?

Thanks
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 11:07 pm
Banned

JulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to all
Default Re: SSN application - I-94 record blank

Originally Posted by wallywally
I arrived in CA mid August on an L1A visa and went to apply for my SSN the following day. Everything went smoothly except when my I-94 record was looked up it was blank.

I was told to wait a couple of weeks and it wooudl arrive, nothing appeared to I went back today.

Thanks
Lost me with I-94 record. All you need to show them is your passport with the valid L-1A visa in it. If you're a newbie in the US, you won't have an I-94 record.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 1:15 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
Hi:

I've heard of this happening. It sometimes takes a little while for your entry to get recorded in the big database. Also, travel goes up in the summer so the data entry backlogs a bit. Try again in a week or so.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 1:17 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JulianB
Lost me with I-94 record. All you need to show them is your passport with the valid L-1A visa in it. If you're a newbie in the US, you won't have an I-94 record.

Not true - the visa alone is not sufficient. Unless he is "in the system", he won't get a SSN.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 3:12 am

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep. You need to show your i94 and be in the system. I had to make another trip to get my SSN and take along my i94. My visa was not enough. It took a couple of weeks before I was 'in the system'.

Originally Posted by Elvira
Not true - the visa alone is not sufficient. Unless he is "in the system", he won't get a SSN.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

CK78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yup, completely agree.. Arrived in the States and filed for SSN after about 3 days. The nice lady at the SSN office said that my particulars were not in the system and took a copy of my I94 and passport particulars. It took exactly 4 weeks and 3 days to get my SSN in the mail. Actually, it only took 3 weeks to get the SSN issued but a while longer for them to post it out..

Originally Posted by Texas_Dave
Yep. You need to show your i94 and be in the system. I had to make another trip to get my SSN and take along my i94. My visa was not enough. It took a couple of weeks before I was 'in the system'.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 11:10 am
Nevyn

"CK78" <member45640@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
    >> Yep. You need to show your i94 and be in the system. I had to make
    >> another trip to get my SSN and take along my i94. My visa was not
    >> enough. It took a couple of weeks before I was 'in the system'.
    > Yup, completely agree.. Arrived in the States and filed for SSN after
    > about 3 days. The nice lady at the SSN office said that my particulars
    > were not in the system and took a copy of my I94 and passport
    > particulars. It took exactly 4 weeks and 3 days to get my SSN in the
    > mail. Actually, it only took 3 weeks to get the SSN issued but a while
    > longer for them to post it out..
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Not that it this helps you now, but you may have been able to phone the
office (after the 3 weeks) and been told your new SSN.

Regards
Nevyn
---
Don't believe everything you read on the Internet. Including this.

Old Oct 9th 2006, 6:07 am

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

I assume you are saying when the SSA office tried to verify your status through SAVE no info came up? They did accept your SSN application?

If they accepted the application they are supposed to send a Form G-845 to immigration to verify your status. This could take weeks or months. You just need to follow up on the application.

If the SSA office sends the G-845, suggest that you go back to the SSA office no more that once week with your documents to (1) ask them to check SAVE again (2) ask if they sent a G-845 (3) if yes, did it come back (4) after 30 days ask if they have followed up on the G-845 by calling or sending another mark “second request.”

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203735
RM 00203.735 Requesting Online (Primary) Verification By SAVE

You can try calling the SSA Regional Office if you have waited at least 30 days and your local SSA office doesn't seem to be concerned about following up on the G-845

http://www.ssa.gov/otherssasites/

Refer them to:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203740
RM 00203.740 Requesting Additional (Manual) Verification By DHS

Step 6

DHS should respond to SSA within 15 federal work days after receiving the Form G-845. If DHS does not respond within 15 federal work days from the receipt of the G-845 from SSA, follow-up with the DHS, USCIS Immigration Status office. (Allow 15 days plus five additional federal work days of mail time for the G-845 to be received at and returned from DHS. Follow local practice to follow-up with DHS.

Some SSA offices have an arrangement with the DHS, USCIS office to telephone for the follow-up contact; other SSA offices send a copy of the original G-845 annotated “second request.”) If the DHS response is still not received within 15 federal work days after the follow-up contact (if the follow-up is by mail allow five additional federal work days of mail time for the G-845 to be received at and returned from DHS), make a second follow-up contact. If the DHS response is not received within 15 federal workdays (again, if the follow-up is by mail, allow five additional federal work days of mail time for the G-845 to be received at and returned from DHS), after two follow-ups, contact the Regional Office (RO). Also report to the RO any trend that shows a serious deviation by DHS from the above time frames. The RO will consult with central office.

All cards are mailed from Social Security Headquarters in Baltimore, Maryland to the postal address provided on the Form SS-5.

You may find additional SSN and employment information on the Internal Revenue Service Website at:

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/...129227,00.html