SSN application

Old May 1st 2018, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

JuniorJ194 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SSN application

Hello everyone!

Been in the USA for around 10 days now, experienced my first ever bad storm last night which I videoed most of it as I was speechless at the amount of lightening flying across the sky!

Anyway.. my questions is about an SSN and how to get one. I understand you needed some kind of proof that you entered the United States with your visa? I didn’t get any forms at the customs desk but only a stamp in my passport on the visa page, would this suffice? I’m guessing I just go to the nearest SSN office and apply there? On a k-1 visa is it the first 76 days you can apply?

I’ve had a look online but they love mixing up information and confusing people lol.

Thanks!

Joshua.
Old May 1st 2018, 4:45 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN application

You came to the US on a K-1 visa if I am remembering correctly.

I don't know what you thought you might receive, but the K-1 was inserted into your passport by the US Embassy and the stamp at the POE with the dates of validity of the visa are all you need for the SSA. Print out the SSA application which can be found online, take it and your passport to the SS Office and apply for your social security card.

The card will be mailed to you within 10 days of applying and will have the legend on it about needing work authorization from USCIS. That authorization is the employment authorization document you will apply for when you married and apply for your adjustment of status. It is included in the fee for the filing of adjustment of status (I-485), employment authorization (I-765) and advance parole (I-131). Whether or not you intend to travel abroad, apply for advance parole anyway as you are paying for it with your adjustment of status fee.
Old May 1st 2018, 5:50 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN application

I would also go online and print your I-94 to take to the SS office.

Yes, it's within the first 76 days that you can apply for a SSN after entering on a K-1. After that time, you need any EAD in hand.

Rene