SSN Application

Old Jan 8th 2003, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

abba48uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SSN Application

Today I went to the Social Security Office in Peoria, Illinois to submit my application for a Social Security card. (In Illinois this is even more important than usual since you cannot apply for an Illinois Driving Licence without a SSN.)

I arrived 10 minutes before opening time and was already NINTH in the queue (yes......of course I counted!). The Office opened promptly and I followed the lead of the regulars, taking a number from the dispenser. 30 minutes later I was called to the booth. Pleasant lady took my application and passport and asked me to be seated again. Fortunately I had brought a newspaper, because some 45 minutes more were to pass by. Apart from reading, I (naturally) obsessively checked all my documentation, birth certificate, uk driving licence, copy of Soc Sec memo confirming that I-94 entitles the holder to work (and therefore apply for a SSN). Eventually I was called to a different booth and another very pleasant lady asked me to fill in my Mother and Father's names on the form (I had.......wrongly .........assumed that this was for US citizens). She blinked at my Mother's christian name.....Gwladys........confirmed it with me and wrote it herself as well..........."this way they wont think its an error". "ok, we will post your card in 10 - 14 days........have a nice day."

The moral of the story is, quite clearly, if you HAVE endless documentation you wont need it! (Of, course.........if you dont, the odds are that you WILL!......lol)

Just one thing I would like to publicise. In our experience, the management and organisation of US bureaucracies, public and private, ranges from mediocre to awful. However, we have been treated with nothing but courtesy, humour and efficiency by every individual with whom we have dealt. I am sure, like any organisation there are the bad apples, but dont assume that you will be treated badly by the individuals with whom you come into contact. You may well not be........
Old Jan 8th 2003, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

dazeychain is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, aren't YOU lucky :-)

When I went to Belleville, IL, with all my documents, I had to fill in the form, show my passport and birth certificate, and then the lady told me that it would take the INS up to 60 days to get back to them, and then they may or may not send me a card!

I'm not really sure what to do, I'm just hoping it won't take that long.

Anyway, well done to you!

Peace,

D.

PS - Are you filling out your AOS forms yet? We're not actualy married yet, but I'm trying to get a headstart. Do you happen to know if both me and my fiance need to to submit G325s, or just me?
Old Jan 8th 2003, 5:23 pm

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yaaaaaayyy!! Way to go! Glad your experience went by without incident! Do you happen to know the link for the memo you took with you? I'd also like to do this when the time comes, so I don't have to argue the fact.
Many congrats!!!!
Kate. xxxx
Old Jan 8th 2003, 5:50 pm
ScarlettHill

Way to go, Abba!

Old Jan 8th 2003, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

thebigeasy is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, both of you need to submit G325s, in quads. If you have Acrobat Reader 5 software, you only need to fill each of your set of forms on the computer once, and it will print out in sets of 4.

Good luck

Originally posted by dazeychain
Well, aren't YOU lucky :-)

When I went to Belleville, IL, with all my documents, I had to fill in the form, show my passport and birth certificate, and then the lady told me that it would take the INS up to 60 days to get back to them, and then they may or may not send me a card!

I'm not really sure what to do, I'm just hoping it won't take that long.

Anyway, well done to you!

Peace,

D.

PS - Are you filling out your AOS forms yet? We're not actualy married yet, but I'm trying to get a headstart. Do you happen to know if both me and my fiance need to to submit G325s, or just me?
Old Jan 9th 2003, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

hmmm....Andy forgot a second important legal document we got today......OUR MARRIAGE LICENSE!!!!! YIPEEEEEEE!!!!!
Should be getting our Wedding Invitations out to guests this weekend!

Julie
Old Jan 9th 2003, 8:52 am

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by abba48uk
hmmm....Andy forgot a second important legal document we got today......OUR MARRIAGE LICENSE!!!!! YIPEEEEEEE!!!!!
Should be getting our Wedding Invitations out to guests this weekend!

Julie
LOL!!!!!!!! Typical bloke!!!!! Hee hee!!! And yaaaayyy again!!!
Kate. xxxxx
Old Jan 9th 2003, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

Jay S is an unknown quantity at this point

Good point! I woul like to know where you found this too.

Originally posted by katesuiter1
Yaaaaaayyy!! Way to go! Glad your experience went by without incident! Do you happen to know the link for the memo you took with you? I'd also like to do this when the time comes, so I don't have to argue the fact.
Many congrats!!!!
Kate. xxxx
Old Jan 9th 2003, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jay (and anyone else for that matter!)...the memo to which I referred can be found at www.kamya.com/ssn/
Old Jan 9th 2003, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

dazeychain is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, easy!

Peace,

D.