SSN/AOS/EAD/AVP Questions! :)

Wikiposts

SSN/AOS/EAD/AVP Questions! :)

Old Jun 15th 2004, 3:15 am
Living in Milwaukee, USA!

mcjimbo will become famous soon enough
Default SSN/AOS/EAD/AVP Questions! :)

Hi everyone,

Well now in the U.S. and just trying to get my head around everything here. The next phase of the process I must admit i'm a little niave about.

So I was lucky enough to get a 90 day work stamp at JFK which is great. I also have an job interview coming up so all is good. I now just have a few questions.

SSN

I am going to wait for about 10 days to go to my local security office and get my SSN, apparently my details should be in the SAVE system by then.... we'll see!

Apart from having the Application for Social Security Number filled out and my UK passport with K1 do I need anything else?

AOS/EAD:

Right so as I understand it I can apply for Adjustment of Status, Employment Authorization, and Advance Parole all at once? Or am I confused/misinformed?

If this is the case, can I just confirm this is everything I need to filed:

- I-485 - Application To Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status (Adjustment of Status)
- Application fee (I-485)
- I-864 - Affidavit of Support. This is another Affidavit of Support which requires three years tax returns (1040) indicating sufficient income. If this is not the case, you might need to get a co-sponsor.
- I-765 - Application for Employment Authorization (EAD). You will apply as category ©(9), "adjustment applicant".
- Application fee (I-765)
- I-131 - Application For Travel Document (for traveling outside the U.S. during the application period), known as "Advance Parole".
- Application fee (I-131)
- G-325A - Biographic Information Form
- Form 9003 - Additional Questions (for the Internal Revenue Service)
- A copy of Form I-94, Nonimmigrant Arrival Departure Record (this was put in your passport)
- A copy of the marriage certificate
- A copy of your birth certificate. You need a translated copy if it is not in English.
- A copy of the fiancé(e) petition approval notice (I-797 Notice of Action)
- Two ADIT photos - the ¾ face view - like you have done before
- Fingerprinting fee

As I understand it I just take all the above to my local USCIS? Am I missing anything? Also Angie's mums going to be my sponsor on the affidavit, does Angie also need to supply all the documentation also or just her mum for I-864?

Advance Parole:

How to I go about applying for this? I have no idea.... I don't plan on actually leaving the U.S. until next September for a friends wedding..... so if this is the case do I even need to bother?

Thanks in advance

James

Last edited by mcjimbo; Jun 15th 2004 at 3:18 am.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 3:35 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN/AOS/EAD/AVP Questions! :)

Hi James!

I am ready to mail out the exact same things today! Here's what I have ready to go, in great detail...ready?

One big envelope addressed to the local office, with 3 smaller envelopes inside, labled for AOS, EAD, and AP each. A main cover letter, with a separate cover letter/table of contents for each individual envelope. A statement on each letter indicating all photocopies are true copies of the originals which are to be presented at the interview.

AOS Envelope contains:
Form I-485
check for $315 for I-485
check for $70 to cover biometrics
photocopy of I-797 (NOA2)
photocopy of certified copy of marriage certificate
photocopy of I-94, front and back
photocopy of alien birth certificate and English translation
photocopy of alien passport and K-1 visa
two ADIT style photos
G-325A for alien
I-864 w/supporting docs (employment letter, current pay stub, and 3 years tax returns - all photocopies)
photocopy of USC certified birth certificate
photocopy of dissolution of prior marriage(s).

EAD Envelope contains:
Form I-765
check for $175 for I-765
two ADIT style photos
photocopy of I-485 to prove submission

AP Envelope contains:
Form I-131
check for $165 for I-131
photocopy of passport and K-1 visa
photocopy of I-485 to prove submission
two ADIT style photos
typewritten statement in answer to Part 7, explanation of reason for obtaining AP.

The ADIT photos all have name and A# printed in pencil on the back.
For Social Security, also bring along your I-94.

I hope this list helps, James. Special thanks to Karen D. for providing such a detailed list of her submission This will be fun, James...our dates will be very close on all these...we will have to keep each other posted!

Best Wishes!
Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Jun 15th 2004 at 3:37 am.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 3:51 am

Rene,

Thanks so much!!! Thats very helpful, just a few questions!

What was the reason you gave for AP? I really don't have one that I can think of, other than one of my grandparents being sick, and that i'd like to visit? Is that a good enough excuse?

One more thing, Angie's mum is going to have to be the financial sponsor on the I-864, we have all her documentation. Does Angie also need to fill one out also? And provide all the same evidence, or do they only require the one sponsor?

Cheers

James
Old Jun 15th 2004, 4:05 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

James,

Angie needs to prepare an I-864. Angie is your sponsor, whether or not she has any income or assets. Angies's I-864 won't have much documentation with it since she's got nothing to document. She does need to include her last 3 years of tax returns, or a (legitimate) explanation for why she didn't file.

Are you and Angie living with her Mom, in the same household, or are you and Angie living separately from her?

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by mcjimbo
Rene,

What was the reason you gave for AP? I really don't have one that I can think of, other than one of my grandparents being sick, and that i'd like to visit? Is that a good enough excuse?

One more thing, Angie's mum is going to have to be the financial sponsor on the I-864, we have all her documentation. Does Angie also need to fill one out also? And provide all the same evidence, or do they only require the one sponsor?

Cheers

James
Old Jun 15th 2004, 4:09 am

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
James,

Angie needs to prepare an I-864. Angie is your sponsor, whether or not she has any income or assets. Angies's I-864 won't have much documentation with it since she's got nothing to document. She does need to include her last 3 years of tax returns, or a (legitimate) explanation for why she didn't file.

Are you and Angie living with her Mom, in the same household, or are you and Angie living separately from her?

Regards, JEff
Jeff,

We are not living with her mom. Will this be a problem? We are renting at her brothers house. The thing is she's just graduated university and has odd and end jobs at the moment, but is looking for something more permanent.

Shes had a job throughout university but has never earned more than $8000 a year. Will this be a problem?

Has anyone else had a co-sponsor for them on AOS?

Thanks in advance

James
Old Jun 15th 2004, 4:17 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Rene,

Cheers

James
James,

If you used her mom as a co-sponsor for the K-1 visa, you will do it the same way. IOW, my understanding is yes...Angie will need to be the main sponsor, and fill out one I-864, and her mom will be the co-sponsor, filling out another one, all with supporting docs.

Rene
Old Jun 15th 2004, 4:21 am

James,

For the AP explaination, this is what I typed up for my husband whose English is weak (and of course yours will be different...but this might help others):

"I have been in my field of work for almost 20 years. I spent the past 9 years working in that field in Turkey. As a result, I have many business associates in Turkey (and worldwide) with whom I am in contact. I anticipate having to meet with clients and associates during the coming year. I would appreciate the flexibility to be able to travel for business purposes during the coming year while I am waiting for my I-485 Adjustment of Status to be processed.

Also, my immediate family lives in Iran. I am in hopes that if a need to travel there for my aging parents' benefit should arise, I will be available to do so.

Thank you for your consideration for advance parole."

Hope that helps!

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Jun 15th 2004 at 4:24 am.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 4:21 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

James,

Nothing you've written will be a problem. Angie does need someone to be a joint sponsor with her, at this point in time, but she's got a willing and qualified (I presume) person so that's not a problem - many people do it.

Hopefully by the time that your I-485 is processed Angie, or Angie and you together, will have sufficient income that Angie can let her mom 'off the hook'.

Regards, JEff

Jeff,

We are not living with her mom. Will this be a problem? We are renting at her brothers house. The thing is she's just graduated university and has odd and end jobs at the moment, but is looking for something more permanent.

Shes had a job throughout university but has never earned more than $8000 a year. Will this be a problem?

Has anyone else had a co-sponsor for them on AOS?

Thanks in advance

James
Old Jun 15th 2004, 4:22 am

Note on ADIT photos: I put both photos together in a ziploc sandwich baggie for protection.

Rene