Wikiposts

SSN / AOS / EAD & AP

Old Feb 11th 2010, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

jeimz7 is a name known to alljeimz7 is a name known to alljeimz7 is a name known to alljeimz7 is a name known to alljeimz7 is a name known to alljeimz7 is a name known to alljeimz7 is a name known to alljeimz7 is a name known to alljeimz7 is a name known to alljeimz7 is a name known to alljeimz7 is a name known to all
Default SSN / AOS / EAD & AP

Hi again ...ok..now i'm here in US..WA state in specific......with my future hubby...just applied for the marriage cert. and waiting for my family for our civil wedding on the first week of March...

I just recovered from the jetlag been here a week now and missing UK...

I got a few questions...as of the moment and I know i'll be here most of the time...here it goes:

1. SSN 10 to 15 days after arrival. Since I'm getting married maybe March 5, should I wait until i got married before applying so I can use my hubby's surname/lastname for the SSN? Would I have problems submitting the documents since on my passport its a different surname? Or I really need to apply using my surname and before the wedding?

2. Vaccine Supplement - I assumed that I would be the one to print and bring the I-693 Form to the surgeon, am I right? And that I only need a Vaccine Supplement, please dont get irritated but where can I specifically check the vaccine that I still need? And I can go to the surgeon as early as now right?

3. USC(hubby) used a different address when I applied for my K1, since I arrived we moved to a different address. Now that he needs to fill up some forms like the G-325 and Form I-864 and he will be using a new address , would there be problems? Does he need to fill up anything about changing his address?

4. The A# to be found in the I-797 NOA: Is it the receipt number?

Thank you for your patience...
Old Feb 11th 2010, 10:47 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN / AOS / EAD & AP

Originally Posted by jeimz7
1. SSN 10 to 15 days after arrival. Since I'm getting married maybe March 5, should I wait until i got married before applying so I can use my hubby's surname/lastname for the SSN? Would I have problems submitting the documents since on my passport its a different surname? Or I really need to apply using my surname and before the wedding?
You can apply either before or after your marriage, makes no difference in your case. Either way, I think you will get your SS issued in your maiden name, because that's the name they run a verification on, and they might not print a SS card with a different name than the one they verified.

2. Vaccine Supplement - I assumed that I would be the one to print and bring the I-693 Form to the surgeon, am I right? And that I only need a Vaccine Supplement, please dont get irritated but where can I specifically check the vaccine that I still need? And I can go to the surgeon as early as now right?
You can go to the surgeon as early as now, yes. He should provide the form himself. I'm not sure what to tell you about what vaccine you might still need.

3. USC(hubby) used a different address when I applied for my K1, since I arrived we moved to a different address. Now that he needs to fill up some forms like the G-325 and Form I-864 and he will be using a new address , would there be problems? Does he need to fill up anything about changing his address?
This won't be a problem. This is a completely new set of applications, so he should simply use the new address on the forms. No need to do a change of address.

4. The A# to be found in the I-797 NOA: Is it the receipt number?
No, it's not the receipt number. It's a number starting with A-. If you don't see it on the NOA, check your K-1 visa, it's on there as well.

And welcome to the USA!

Rene
Old Feb 11th 2010, 11:26 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... with my future hubby... just applied for the marriage cert...
Wow! How'd you do that? Is that one of those weird space/time thingies?

Ian
Old Feb 11th 2010, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

jeimz7 is a name known to alljeimz7 is a name known to alljeimz7 is a name known to alljeimz7 is a name known to alljeimz7 is a name known to alljeimz7 is a name known to alljeimz7 is a name known to alljeimz7 is a name known to alljeimz7 is a name known to alljeimz7 is a name known to alljeimz7 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Wow! How'd you do that? Is that one of those weird space/time thingies?

Ian
hi Ian, weird space/time thingies?...you mean the smiley? confused...

@ Noorah

Thanks for the info's...
Old Feb 11th 2010, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

1. It might be easier to get this after you've applyed for AOS. AOS applications seem to be processed quite quickly now. If you do get your SSN sooner rather then later then you'll need to go back once you have your green card to get it changed. Also I got mine in my married name. I took a copy of our marriage license to the SS office with me, along with the SSN form and my passport and greencard.

2. It might be easier if you fill out the appropriate parts of the I-693 yourself, to try and eliminate confusion the doctors office might have when they try and make you have a full medical and you tell them you dont need it. So yes, id print out and fill i the parts it tells you too. and leave the vaccine supplement part for the doctor to fill out. If you didnt have a vaccine you need then you can go get that at a doctors office local to you. I dont believe you need the Varicella vaccine, and i dont beleive you are required to get the HPV vaccine anymore. someone can confirm this or deny it.
and yes, you can get this done as soon as you want.

3. I dont think address change would matter,

4. The A# is the number on your K1 visa or stated as Axxxxxxx on your 797.

have a good read of the AOS help guide thats on the wiki, its had some extensive changes to it and hopefully can help you out!

AOS help guide
Old Feb 11th 2010, 12:21 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

hi Ian, weird space/time thingies?...you mean the smiley? confused...

@ Noorah

Thanks for the info's...
Hi,
In the US, the term "marriage certificate" is used to refer to the document that records your marriage with the county in which you are married. The term "marriage license" is used to refer to the document that you apply for that allows you to get married. So it is the second one that you applied for, not the first.

HTH,
~SecretGarden
(Ian, I would pinch you if I could!)
Old Feb 11th 2010, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
Hi,
In the US, the term "marriage certificate" is used to refer to the document that records your marriage with the county in which you are married. The term "marriage license" is used to refer to the document that you apply for that allows you to get married. So it is the second one that you applied for, not the first.

HTH,
~SecretGarden
(Ian, I would pinch you if I could!)
thats a good point, for us marriage certificate ended up being the pretty certificate looking thing signed by us and pastor and witnesses that we can hang on the wall for decoration but isnt any kind of offical document.

the marriage license is the official one and looks like a document.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 12:30 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PepsiChic
thats a good point, for us marriage certificate ended up being the pretty certificate looking thing signed by us and pastor and witnesses that we can hang on the wall for decoration but isnt any kind of offical document.

the marriage license is the official one and looks like a document.
Here's where it gets complicated, particularly for immigration purposes:

1. marriage license---allows you to get married
2. marriage certificate---official document that records your marriage with the county so that it is made legal.

Pepsi, I think you are referring to a souvenier marriage certificate often given out by the church when you get married---that is NOT the official one and is not usable to provide proof of your marriage in the case of an immigration related petition. You need a copy of the official one to submit with subsequent applications, and you can get copies from the county that you were married in. Important distinction for USCIS purposes.

~SG
Old Feb 11th 2010, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

Guys thanks...

and yes i was wrong about the certificate and license hehe...i was just confused about Ian post

anyway.. going to the doctor and getting a SSN will decrease the work load ...

and i'll sure check again the AOS in wiki...

mwah
Old Feb 11th 2010, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Here's where it gets complicated, particularly for immigration purposes:

1. marriage license---allows you to get married
2. marriage certificate---official document that records your marriage with the county so that it is made legal.

Pepsi, I think you are referring to a souvenier marriage certificate often given out by the church when you get married---that is NOT the official one and is not usable to provide proof of your marriage in the case of an immigration related petition. You need a copy of the official one to submit with subsequent applications, and you can get copies from the county that you were married in. Important distinction for USCIS purposes.

~SG
I didnt realise there was 2 certificates, i know the souvenier one is decoration only.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 8:52 am
The Missus

Originally Posted by PepsiChic
I didnt realise there was 2 certificates, i know the souvenier one is decoration only.
Yep, if the church or other official sends it right in, you may not even see it. (I know some people have been asked to deliver it themselves to the county recorder's office, but many pastors or judges will send it right in for you). However, that is the one you need to prove your marriage occurred when submitting subsequent applications based on marriage. You can easily get a copy by going to the county recorder's office in the county where you were married. You may even be able to order copies online. We got several copies at once so we didn't have to keep ordering them.

~SG
Old Feb 12th 2010, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yep, if the church or other official sends it right in, you may not even see it. (I know some people have been asked to deliver it themselves to the county recorder's office, but many pastors or judges will send it right in for you). However, that is the one you need to prove your marriage occurred when submitting subsequent applications based on marriage. You can easily get a copy by going to the county recorder's office in the county where you were married. You may even be able to order copies online. We got several copies at once so we didn't have to keep ordering them.

~SG
I have 3 or 4 copies of our signed marriage license, it doesnt look anything like a certificate though. the county office gave us them free because they made us wait an hour to get them when their computer systems went down.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

Hi again ...I just went to a Social Security Administration and tried to apply for my Social Security Number.

I arrived last February 4,2010, and counting the days less the weekend its the 12th day today Feb 22. Sadly the lady in the office can't verify my data in the system as of today. I'm not sure if this is normal or a new thing, and I don't know if there is another way I can fast track my application in any way. The thing is she told me that verifying my data in the system can take up to 4 weeks. She gave me a receipt/acknowledgement that I applied for a number on this specific date.

I was wondering if I can go back at the office maybe after 2 weeks and let them try to verify my data again so I won't wait for 4 weeks. I just want to be sure I get my Social Number before reaching the 76 days after my arrival.

I'll appreciate any ideas you could give me....thanks...

jeimz
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 11:29 am
LBR
Just Joined

LBR is on a distinguished road

When I applied for my SS card, I was not allowed to change the name to my married nam. The lady said my name had to be the same as what was on my immigration documents. I applied through the SS office in Bellingham - whereabouts are you in WA? I have a feeling it might depend on who you speak to.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 11:33 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again ...I just went to a Social Security Administration and tried to apply for my Social Security Number.

I arrived last February 4,2010, and counting the days less the weekend its the 12th day today Feb 22. Sadly the lady in the office can't verify my data in the system as of today. I'm not sure if this is normal or a new thing, and I don't know if there is another way I can fast track my application in any way. The thing is she told me that verifying my data in the system can take up to 4 weeks. She gave me a receipt/acknowledgement that I applied for a number on this specific date.

I was wondering if I can go back at the office maybe after 2 weeks and let them try to verify my data again so I won't wait for 4 weeks. I just want to be sure I get my Social Number before reaching the 76 days after my arrival.

I'll appreciate any ideas you could give me....thanks...

jeimz
Yes, I would check back in a week or two, and ask them to re-verify your status.

Rene

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.