Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

SSN for 9yr old and wife

SSN for 9yr old and wife

Old Sep 8th 2002, 1:14 am
Starla

Default Re: SSN for 9yr old and wife

Good Morning all

Friday i was at the SSN office, I am a K-1 getting married oct 26 have two k-2. This
is what they informed me and they also gave me a notice stating such (it is in the
bedroom John is sleeping dont want to wake him) They no longer issue as of July 2002
provisional SSN. They issue only one kind now which is for the ones here legally
that can work. No more. As stated in other post the kids, or anyone else, can get
a Tax Ident number which is exactely like all the Provisional SSN cept they cannot
work. Also they now check the validation of the immigration forms with INS, so they
told me instead of a 10 to 14 day waiting period I was looking at a 3 to 4 week
waiting period.

The kids, one in highschool, one in middle school, both schools asked for an SSN both
schools said ok when I told them they did not have one. My highschool student wants
to drive here, so we also inquired into that. No SSN needed. For her we need to bring
in a valid Visa, Her I-94 card and her canadian birth certificate, she also has to
attend a 4 hour course on drugs, alcohol and driving.

this is my experience friday in Florida

starla..

"Michael D. Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Harvey Leems wrote:
    > > Well it depends on your definition of "provisional". They DO issue provisional
    > > cards with the notice that the card is "Not Valid for Work" and something along
    > > the lines of "Valid for work only with proper documents". That's not what it
    > > says, someone help me out here, but my point is that those ARE considered
    > > "provisional" SS cards.
    > Hi All!
    > OK you mean restricted. There are three types of SSN cards:
    > The card most people have shows your name and Social Security number and lets you
    > work without restriction. We issue it to: U.S. citizens, or people lawfully
    > admitted to the U.S. with permanent Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS)
    > work authorization.
    > The second card bears the legend, "NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT. " We issue it to
    > people: from other countries lawfully admitted to the U.S. without work
    > authorization from INS; and who need a number because of a federal law requiring a
    > Social Security number to get a benefit or service.
    > The third card bears the legend, "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH INS AUTHORIZATION ." We
    > issue it to people: lawfully admitted to the U.S. on a temporary basis; and with
    > INS authorization to work.
    > The SSN for all three is no different. Just the type of card that the individual
    > is eligible to be issued based on their work authorization is different. If you
    > are issued an SSN with one type of card and your status changes and then you apply
    > for a replacement. Your SSN doesn't change, just the type of card that's issued to
    > you changes.
    > Take care,
    > Mike

Old Sep 8th 2002, 2:18 am
Michael D. Young

starla wrote:

> Good Morning all
    > Friday i was at the SSN office, I am a K-1 getting married oct 26 have two k-2.
    > This is what they informed me and they also gave me a notice stating such (it is in
    > the bedroom John is sleeping dont want to wake him) They no longer issue as of July
    > 2002 provisional SSN. They issue only one kind now which is for the ones here
    > legally that can work.

Hi All!

Well this sure is news to me. What office told you this and does that notice have a
title or form/notice number?

Take care,

Mike

Old Sep 8th 2002, 4:25 am
James Donovan

Mona Lisa <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > In article <[email protected] nk.net>, "Harvey
    > Leems" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Your nine year old doesn't need to file an I-765 because s/he doesn't have an
    > > immediate need for an SSN. Just save your money and wait until he has his green
    > > card. As for your wife, an EAD is not a bad idea to have. But not for the child.
    > > What makes you think a 9 year old needs an SSN?
    > >
    > Actually, schools ask for them usually. However he probably is more concerned about
    > claiming the kid on his taxes, for which he does need either a SSN or a ITIN.

Schools do not need a SSN. For tax purposes you can get an ITIN from IRS.

Old Sep 8th 2002, 2:55 pm
mjones

Are you STILL propagating this bullshit? My stepson got an ITIN and he was here for 3
weeks on vacation, from a foreign country. You are so FOC, geez. Mike

On Sat, 07 Sep 2002 12:06:33 -0400, "Michael D. Young" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Now IRS told me a child must be in the country for 6 months (183 days) before they
    >can get the ITIN, since a child has to be here 183 days before you can claim them as
    >a dependent. Take care, Mike

Old Sep 8th 2002, 3:46 pm
Michael D. Young

[email protected] wrote:

> Are you STILL propagating this bullshit? My stepson got an ITIN and he was here for
    > 3 weeks on vacation, from a foreign country. You are so FOC, geez. Mike

Hi All!

First off this wasn't BS. A woman working the front desk at the Baltimore IRS office
in the Fallon Federal Bldg. told me this on 05/03/02. I'm not a tax attorney, so I
don't know if she was right or wrong, but from what I have read from IRS
publications, she seems to be right if you claim that the child needs the ITIN to
claimed as a dependent. Your stepson may have got one, but that doesn't mean that
the IRS office that processed his W-7 didn't make a mistake, or maybe he claimed to
need it for another reason than I needed one for my daughter.

If anyone wants to apply for an ITIN for their child, grandmother or dog go right
ahead, since it doesn't cost anything. If you get it more power to you.

Take care,

Mike

Old Sep 8th 2002, 4:44 pm
Rj

To Mike: Hi. Ona related issue: My wife and step children are in the
DR. Am I allowed to get a Tax Identification Number for them so I can add them to
my tax form? The W-4 specifically states that non-resident aliens cannot be
declared as dependents. I would be filing a joint return. Thanks. Bob
Norton, NYC

"Michael D. Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Harvey Leems wrote:
    > > Well it depends on your definition of "provisional". They DO issue provisional
    > > cards with the notice that the card is "Not Valid for Work" and something along
    > > the lines of "Valid for work only with proper documents". That's not what it
    > > says, someone help me out here, but my point is that those ARE considered
    > > "provisional" SS cards.
    > Hi All!
    > OK you mean restricted. There are three types of SSN cards:
    > The card most people have shows your name and Social Security number and lets you
    > work without restriction. We issue it to: U.S. citizens, or people lawfully
    > admitted to the U.S. with permanent Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS)
    > work authorization.
    > The second card bears the legend, "NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT. " We issue it to
    > people: from other countries lawfully admitted to the U.S. without work
    > authorization from INS; and who need a number because of a federal law requiring a
    > Social Security number to get a benefit or service.
    > The third card bears the legend, "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH INS AUTHORIZATION ." We
    > issue it to people: lawfully admitted to the U.S. on a temporary basis; and with
    > INS authorization to work.
    > The SSN for all three is no different. Just the type of card that the individual
    > is eligible to be issued based on their work authorization is different. If you
    > are issued an SSN with one type of card and your status changes and then you apply
    > for a replacement. Your SSN doesn't change, just the type of card that's issued to
    > you changes.
    > Take care,
    > Mike

Old Sep 8th 2002, 5:26 pm
Michael D. Young

RJ wrote:

> To Mike: Hi. Ona related issue: My wife and step children are in the
    > DR. Am I allowed to get a Tax Identification Number for them so I can add them to
    > my tax form? The W-4 specifically states that non-resident aliens cannot be
    > declared as dependents. I would be filing a joint return. Thanks. Bob Norton,
    > NYC

Hi All!

Well I have already been accused of spreading BS, so I will first say I'm not a tax
expert. You are right the W-7 form does say that and IRS publications say you can't
claim a non-resident alien as a dependent. Now can you apply for your children and
get the ITINs issued and then claim them and not have IRS catch it, I would say the
answer to both of those is maybe, but is still doesn't make it legal.

Take care,

Mike

Old Sep 9th 2002, 4:51 am

RJ wrote:
    > To Mike: Hi. Ona related issue: My wife and step children are in the
    > DR. Am I allowed to get a Tax Identification Number for them so I can add them to
    > my tax form? The W-4 specifically states that non-resident aliens cannot be
    > declared as dependents. I would be filing a joint return. Thanks. Bob Norton,
    > NYC

My understanding: If you file a joint return, you wife can be a resident alien for
this purpose, even if she lives in the DR. Children take the residency of their
parents. This is what I get from the INS information on filing status and dependents.