Wikiposts

SSN

Old Nov 30th 2016, 6:34 am
Just Joined

dontmesswithtexas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SSN

Hi all,

I did the K1 visa and moved to Texas and I'm still waiting for my green card to process. I was given the EAD card and applied for my social security card yesterday. I was just wondering do I need the social security card to be able to start working?

Thanks in advance for any help.

-S
Old Nov 30th 2016, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN

Originally Posted by dontmesswithtexas
Hi all,

I did the K1 visa and moved to Texas and I'm still waiting for my green card to process. I was given the EAD card and applied for my social security card yesterday. I was just wondering do I need the social security card to be able to start working?

Thanks in advance for any help.

-S
You should be ok to start without the SSN and then provide it to the company as soon as you have it.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 7:44 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontmesswithtexas
... do I need the social security card to be able to start working?
No. You don't need the number either.

Ian
Old Nov 30th 2016, 7:57 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
You should be ok to start without the SSN and then provide it to the company as soon as you have it.
Originally Posted by ian-mstm
No. You don't need the number either. .....
Tom is correct, and so is Ian (obviously), but I can confirm that I actually did start working before I received my SSN, and it was a proper career job with a major corporation, not some casual cash-in-hand job.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 8:56 am
Just Joined

dontmesswithtexas is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay perfect. Thank you all for the help