SSAN for K1/2

Old Sep 6th 2002, 10:24 am
N75ranger

Default SSAN for K1/2

Alvena/Matt/Grinch or Whom ever, I need the address for the Social Security Admin
where it says K1s and K2s can get SS number even though they don't have EAD. We are
trying to get the local office to issue a number but they say they cannot issue
number without EAD card. I know that is not correct, but I cannot prove it. Thanks

Old Sep 6th 2002, 10:38 am
Michael D. Young

Default Re: SSAN for K1/2

N75ranger wrote:

> Alvena/Matt/Grinch or Whom ever, I need the address for the Social Security Admin
    > where it says K1s and K2s can get SS number even though they don't have EAD. We
    > are trying to get the local office to issue a number but they say they cannot
    > issue number without EAD card. I know that is not correct, but I cannot prove
    > it. Thanks

Hi All!

Well it never said K-2s could get a SSN without an EAD, only K-1s. Tell them to look
in Policy Net for EM-00154 or the SSA Website FAQs for answer 576.

What office would this happen to be?

Take care,

Mike

Old Sep 6th 2002, 10:49 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSAN for K1/2

Originally posted by N75ranger:
Alvena/Matt/Grinch or Whom ever, I need the address for the Social Security Admin
where it says K1s and K2s can get SS number even though they don't have EAD. We are
trying to get the local office to issue a number but they say they cannot issue
number without EAD card. I know that is not correct, but I cannot prove it. Thanks
A k-2 is not eligible for a social security card and thus requires an EAD. A K-1 is eligible without an EAD.

If the SSA has not kept the application for the K-1's social security card, try a different office. According to M. Young the SSA is now required to verify status with INS before issuance of any SS cards. But not all SSA offices are doing this so you might get lucky.

For the K-2 child you can apply for a Individual Taxpayer Identification Number for them with the IRS.

Rete