Reload this Page >

SS card received 2 weeks after entry to US

Wikiposts

SS card received 2 weeks after entry to US

Old Nov 13th 2004, 7:44 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SS card received 2 weeks after entry to US

Just a note to let everyone know that my husband's Social Security card arrived yesterday, exactly 2 weeks after his arrival into the US.

He received a CR1 Visa via DCF in London (ticked the box on the DS-230 to have his Social Security number processed by them). POE was Sanford, FL on Oct. 29, late on a Friday afternoon. According to the envelope that the SS card arrived in, it was mailed out from Baltimore on Nov. 5, so that means it only took about 5 days for them to process it!

So far, so good! Next step is getting his South Carolina driver's license, then the job hunting begins.

We are, more or less, settled into our brand new apartment, have bought him a secondhand car, and I begin a new job (I'm a Legal Secretary) on Monday. It's been a long and exhausting few months, but the journey continues to be exciting for us!
Old Nov 14th 2004, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

half-pint is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SS card received 2 weeks after entry to US

Originally Posted by DDL
Just a note to let everyone know that my husband's Social Security card arrived yesterday, exactly 2 weeks after his arrival into the US.

He received a CR1 Visa via DCF in London (ticked the box on the DS-230 to have his Social Security number processed by them). POE was Sanford, FL on Oct. 29, late on a Friday afternoon. According to the envelope that the SS card arrived in, it was mailed out from Baltimore on Nov. 5, so that means it only took about 5 days for them to process it!

So far, so good! Next step is getting his South Carolina driver's license, then the job hunting begins.

We are, more or less, settled into our brand new apartment, have bought him a secondhand car, and I begin a new job (I'm a Legal Secretary) on Monday. It's been a long and exhausting few months, but the journey continues to be exciting for us!

Great new Denise. I'm glad the SSN came through for you guys. Congrats on the job! I started a job this week...now I've got to apply for my DL. yikes.

Ellie
Old Nov 14th 2004, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the SSN. It's good to know ticking that box actually works for some.

Good luck on the car and job hunt!

Elaine
Old Nov 27th 2004, 6:36 am
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: SS card received 2 weeks after entry to US

Originally Posted by DDL

Hi Denise, Ellie and Elaine.
I finally found my password amongst all the tons of paperwork I've accumulated- so could edit my details and access the forum again!

Glad to see you all still around! Nice to know that ticking that box for SSN works for some, Denise - it hasn't for me though, unfortunately. We travelled the 70 miles to the nearest office around 2 weeks ago, they said I am on the system and should have SSN in 2 weeks, but still nothing! The local SSoffice closed in July so it will have to be another trip to the nearest one this week. Still, this is easy-peasy compared to what went before!

I've been here for 5 weeks now. We 've bought a house and car to replace those himself already owned but had passed their best ! Closing on the house is next Friday so it's moving on time...AGAIN! My cartons arrived from Excess Baggage all intact. Not yet unpacked but all seems OK. They did a good job.

Hope all is going well for you all.
ANN
Old Nov 27th 2004, 11:44 am
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: SS card received 2 weeks after entry to US

Congrats on your SSN, mine did not go so smoothly, i arrived in LA 30/10 and was told by the immigration officer that even though i ticked the box on my application for a SSN, i would still have to go and apply, so i went to apply on the next working day after landing, then 2 weks later i got a letter asking me to go to another SS office - apparently i applied for a SSN and there was also a application put in automaticaly for me and it threw up alrms bells as the same person was trying to apply twice, easily solved though as they just cancelled the application i personaly made.

morale of the story - dont belive everything (or is that anything??) the immigration officers tell you at the airport. - also the immigration officer told me my perm resident card would take 6-8 months to arrive - it arrived today exactly 4 weeks after i landed!! - a pleasent suprise

Ant
Old Nov 27th 2004, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

half-pint is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Dimsie
Hi Denise, Ellie and Elaine.
I finally found my password amongst all the tons of paperwork I've accumulated- so could edit my details and access the forum again!

Glad to see you all still around! Nice to know that ticking that box for SSN works for some, Denise - it hasn't for me though, unfortunately. We travelled the 70 miles to the nearest office around 2 weeks ago, they said I am on the system and should have SSN in 2 weeks, but still nothing! The local SSoffice closed in July so it will have to be another trip to the nearest one this week. Still, this is easy-peasy compared to what went before!

I've been here for 5 weeks now. We 've bought a house and car to replace those himself already owned but had passed their best ! Closing on the house is next Friday so it's moving on time...AGAIN! My cartons arrived from Excess Baggage all intact. Not yet unpacked but all seems OK. They did a good job.

Hope all is going well for you all.
ANN

Sounds like you've been busy! I've settled nicely and have two (yes two) jobs! Got everything sorted - apart from the driving license, I need to go and apply for my learner's permit this week and practise driving on the other side of the road!

Best wishes Ellie