Wikiposts

SS card question.

Old May 5th 2009, 5:54 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute
Default SS card question.

Hi. My husbands social security card that he got during our k1 process has the temporary DHS stamp on it. He recently received his 2 year green card. Can he go to Social Security and get a new card without the stamp or does he have to wait for his 10 year greencard to do that? Also if he can get it changed do we just bring his passport, current SS card and greencard to the SS office?
Old May 5th 2009, 6:01 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SS card question.

Originally Posted by penguinbar
Hi. My husbands social security card that he got during our k1 process has the temporary DHS stamp on it. He recently received his 2 year green card. Can he go to Social Security and get a new card without the stamp or does he have to wait for his 10 year greencard to do that? Also if he can get it changed do we just bring his passport, current SS card and greencard to the SS office?
He absolutely can and should get it changed. The SS without the legend comes in handy for getting a new job, you can then show the SS card plus drivers license (or state ID) to get hired, and not even bother showing the green card.

Bring his passport, current SS card and greencard to the SS office. You might need a new SS application form, I can't quite remember.

Rene
Old May 5th 2009, 6:54 am
Just Joined

ap14 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
He absolutely can and should get it changed. The SS without the legend comes in handy for getting a new job, you can then show the SS card plus drivers license (or state ID) to get hired, and not even bother showing the green card.

Bring his passport, current SS card and greencard to the SS office. You might need a new SS application form, I can't quite remember.

Rene
Yes, you do need a new application for the new SS. I just went through the process myself and it's a huge bonus when you apply to jobs.

I had one HR manager ask me any number of questions about validity period of Conditional GC and what happens if it expires and how it affects them (the employer) etc prior to my getting the new SS card. With the new SS card you could avoid all of that.
Old May 5th 2009, 7:08 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ap14
Yes, you do need a new application for the new SS. I just went through the process myself and it's a huge bonus when you apply to jobs.

I had one HR manager ask me any number of questions about validity period of Conditional GC and what happens if it expires and how it affects them (the employer) etc prior to my getting the new SS card. With the new SS card you could avoid all of that.
Sheesh. You should have referred her to the Handbook for Employers (which she should have already had...)

The answer to her question (for interested parties) is that if you present a Permanent Resident Alient Card as a hiring document, the employer is not required nor allowed to reverify your status. Expiration date be damned!

I agree that a State DL + no-legend Social Security card is the way to go for hiring docs. Removes any bias (hopefully) from the equation.

Last edited by meauxna; May 5th 2009 at 8:20 am. Reason: typo!
Old May 5th 2009, 7:41 am
Just Joined

ap14 is an unknown quantity at this point

I actually did say it was discriminatory for her to ask me such questions and said she should call the Office for Immigration related unfair work practices and talk to them.
Old May 5th 2009, 4:35 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone. We are going to the DMV as well so he can get a NY stae ID card