Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

spraggy0558's K-1 questions

Wikiposts

spraggy0558's K-1 questions

Old Jan 30th 2010, 11:54 pm
Just Joined

spraggy0558 is a name known to allspraggy0558 is a name known to allspraggy0558 is a name known to allspraggy0558 is a name known to allspraggy0558 is a name known to allspraggy0558 is a name known to allspraggy0558 is a name known to allspraggy0558 is a name known to allspraggy0558 is a name known to allspraggy0558 is a name known to allspraggy0558 is a name known to all
Default spraggy0558's K-1 questions

Hi ChelseaDagger

Top thread mate, really helpful!!
Not sure if this is the right place to ask cos i'm v new to this site but here goes:

1. I've filled in and submitted my K1 visa app (which is still floatin' around the US somewhere prior to droppin' on my fiancees lap ) and she's spotted we might need to submit a G325a as well, is this true?

2. What's the approximate timeline for getting an interview, as I'm trying to successfully plan my next 6 months i.e. trips for both of us across the water that we can actually commit to?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this and if it is

All the very best for your future

Spraggy0558
Old Jan 31st 2010, 12:30 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 visa - my experience

Originally Posted by spraggy0558
I've filled in and submitted my K1 visa app (which is still floatin' around the US somewhere prior to droppin' on my fiancees lap ) and she's spotted we might need to submit a G325a as well, is this true?
Yes, G-325A's are required... one for each of you. I'm pretty sure you didn't send off the K-1 visa application (or you're using the wrong terms), since the K-1 application goes to the London Consulate... not to the US. Can you clarify exactly what forms have been submitted?

What's the approximate timeline for getting an interview, as I'm trying to successfully plan my next 6 months i.e. trips for both of us across the water that we can actually commit to?
The I-129F petition takes about 4 months... and then the K-1 visa takes another 4 months - but if you have forgotten to submit a form, then the whole timeline goes out the window! Hint = don't try to plan the next 6 months... it'll be an exercise in futility and frustration.

Ian
Old Jan 31st 2010, 12:52 am
Just Joined

spraggy0558 is a name known to allspraggy0558 is a name known to allspraggy0558 is a name known to allspraggy0558 is a name known to allspraggy0558 is a name known to allspraggy0558 is a name known to allspraggy0558 is a name known to allspraggy0558 is a name known to allspraggy0558 is a name known to allspraggy0558 is a name known to allspraggy0558 is a name known to all

Ian - Hi

I've recently sent my I129F back to my fiancees house in the US (but it's still lost in the post after I sent it over a week ago).

HAVEN'T ACTUALLY SENT A K1 ANYWHERE - NOT SURE WOT PLANET I'M ON AT THE MO

If I'm honest I really don't have a clue what I'm talking about, so apologies now.

My fiancee went down to her local Homeland Security place in Boise, ID and they let her think the whole process would only take 5-6 months, if we didn't encounter any delays with missing/wrong forms etc!! Were they lying?

Phil
Old Jan 31st 2010, 1:09 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I've recently sent my I129F back to my fiancees house in the US (but it's still lost in the post after I sent it over a week ago).
I wouldn't worry about it... you aren't required to submit an I-129F. The I-129F must be completed and submitted by the US citizen along with the requisite evidence (which includes G-325As - all, by the way, in the instructions for completing the I-129F).

HAVEN'T ACTUALLY SENT A K1 ANYWHERE - NOT SURE WOT PLANET I'M ON AT THE MO
No worries, mate... we've all been there!

My fiancee went down to her local Homeland Security place in Boise, ID and they let her think the whole process would only take 5-6 months, if we didn't encounter any delays with missing/wrong forms etc!! Were they lying?
No, but they were likely talking about historical norms. There was a time when the *entire* process (I-129F + K-1) took only 4 months (which was true when I had a K-1 visa - but that was 12 years ago)... but then as more and more people applied, they got farther and farther behind... so the whole process now takes about 6-8 months. The I-129F usually takes about 4 months or so to process... and then the K-1 process kicks in and that adds another 3-4 months.

Ian
Old Jan 31st 2010, 1:26 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: spraggy0558's K-1 questions

1. I've filled in and submitted my K1 visa app
Hi spraggy, I've created your own thread for your own unique quesitons.

Actually, you haven't filled in and submitted your K-1 visa application. You won't be doing this until the I-129F gets approved. What you've done is send some required information to your fiancee in the USA who is getting ready to file the I-129F.

... she's spotted we might need to submit a G325a as well, is this true?
No *might* about it. Yes, a G-325A from each of you is required to send along with the I-129F. So if an original G-325A is not one of the thigs you sent her, you should send it now, so she can include it. Side note - if you dd not send her an original statement of intent, you should make sure you send her that as well. If you didn't send her these 2 items, I'm not sure exactly what you DID send her? Can you tell us?

2. What's the approximate timeline for getting an interview, as I'm trying to successfully plan my next 6 months i.e. trips for both of us across the water that we can actually commit to?
From filing I-129F to getting interview date is around 6 - 8 months.

Rene
Old Jan 31st 2010, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

ChelseaDagger has a spectacular aura aboutChelseaDagger has a spectacular aura aboutChelseaDagger has a spectacular aura about

Hi ChelseaDagger

Top thread mate, really helpful!!
Not sure if this is the right place to ask cos i'm v new to this site but here goes:

1. I've filled in and submitted my K1 visa app (which is still floatin' around the US somewhere prior to droppin' on my fiancees lap ) and she's spotted we might need to submit a G325a as well, is this true?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this and if it is

All the very best for your future

Spraggy0558
Spraggy,

Welcome!

Looks like ian-mstm beat me to it! If anyone knows the answer, ian-mstm is one of the ones that does

Have a read through the Wiki and do a search on other forumite's threads, there is plenty of information on here regarding who needs to submit which forms and evidence etc; reading up also helps you get up to speed with the terminology, plenty to learn!

If your fiancee has filed I-129F (or is shortly to when it arrives in her mailbox), I would advise starting to read up on and prepare for K-1 (documents, vaccinations, supporting evidence etc). You've time on your side at the moment which can be put to good use now to keep you on top things.

Don't worry about whether or not your post is in the right place, one of the Mods will move it if it isn't

As for travel during application/processing, plenty to read up on regarding that too. My advice would be, not too much of it, don't overstay if on VWP, take evidence of job/property/ties to UK with you when you travel & be honest with POE officers at all times. If fiancee might be in UK when NOA might arrive, ensure she has someone to collect the mail and inform her of such, especially if there is an RFE from USCIS where action will need to be taken in order to complete case processing in USA.

Best of luck and happy reading!
Old Jan 31st 2010, 2:33 am
Just Joined

Ian-CD-Noorah

Can't thank you enough guys, sorry about the confusion I caused earlier!!

Q. Is a K1 visa a view of K2 in the Himalayas?

A. Ask spraggy0558 and he'll say yes, but if you wanna know about types of fiancee visa ask anyone except spraggy0558
Old Jan 31st 2010, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

Ian-CD-Noorah

Can't thank you enough guys, sorry about the confusion I caused earlier!!

Q. Is a K1 visa a view of K2 in the Himalayas?

A. Ask spraggy0558 and he'll say yes, but if you wanna know about types of fiancee visa ask anyone except spraggy0558
The k1 visa is the visa you eventually will apply for the overall process is like this:

you fill out G325a and write a letter of intent (to say that yes you will marry eachother upon arrival in the US within the 90 day limit of the K1 visa for which you will apply for)

you send this with any evidence you might have of having met your US fiancee (plane itinerarys/photos etc) to your Us fiancee.

Your US fiancee fills out form I-129F and her own G325a, she also needs to sign the letter of intent and include a copy of her birth certificate or Id page in her US passport to show proof of her US citizenship.

She then sends this to (im not sure where exactly)

Once the processing centre recieved all that they'll send your fiancee a letter saying they recieved it and will process it.

in average 4 months later she'll recieve another letter saying its been approved.

YOU will then get a letter called "packet 3" with some links, this will tell you to gather together certain things, (police certificate, long form birth certificate, I-134 from your US fiancee or sponsor etc) as well as book a medical exam with a place called knightsbridge and to send back a checklist and some DS forms once you have all that.

When they recieve the checklist and forms they will set an interview date, you will take all the documents (police cert etc) to the interview and they will ask you some questions (when you first met your fiancee etc)

after the interview you hopefully get approved and they will keep your passport and send it back to you with the K1 visa inside.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 11:30 pm
Just Joined

Wink Re: spraggy0558's K-1 questions

Hi PepsiChic

Thanx v much for your expert counsel, you really helped a lot just like everyone else so far. Your guide has been v helpful to me n my future wifey (Michelle) and we can't thank you enough

Just one thing all youz guys is K1 even in the Himalayas ?

Spraggy
Old Feb 1st 2010, 1:15 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

We did a K-1 through Ankara, Turkey, in 2003.

Rene
Old Feb 1st 2010, 3:23 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
We did a K-1 through Ankara, Turkey, in 2003.

Rene
Old Feb 1st 2010, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

Hi PepsiChic

Thanx v much for your expert counsel, you really helped a lot just like everyone else so far. Your guide has been v helpful to me n my future wifey (Michelle) and we can't thank you enough

Spraggy
Your welcome!

Make sure you read the K1 Top Tips thread, theres a list in there of everything your going to need to get from your future wife for your interview, if your going to be visiting the states, try and get all that from her while your there it'll save you a great amount of time!

and your K1 visa is gonna be waiting for you on top of the K2

Pepsi
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=PepsiChic;8299830]The k1 visa is the visa you eventually will apply for the overall process is like this:

Your US fiancee fills out form I-129F and her own G325a, she also needs to sign the letter of intent and include a copy of her birth certificate or Id page in her US passport to show proof of her US citizenship.

By letter of intent do you mean an I-134 Affidavit of support, cos I'm gettin' confused

Spraggy
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 1:05 am

By letter of intent do you mean an I-134 Affidavit of support, cos I'm gettin' confused

Spraggy
No. The letter of intent is something different than the I-134. The I-129F instructions talk about the letter of intent.

The I-134 is an affidavit of support, and isn't due until the visa interview.

Rene
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 4:12 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

spraggy: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/K1

Have a read through and start making your own checklist/flow chart so you start to see what goes with what.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.