Wikiposts

Spouse's Siblings Want to Visit US

Old Mar 5th 2002, 4:35 pm
Kenneth Sanchez

Default Spouse's Siblings Want to Visit US

Through the finance visa, my Colombian wife came to the US and we were married
here in the states about 3.5 years back. She got her I-751 permanent residency
recently and will apply for naturalization in the next few months. Now, we are
wanting her brother and sister to visit us here in the US. Problem is, they don't
have a visa to come over, and her sister was recently turned down by the US
Embassy in Bogota, Colombia.

Does anyone know of another way to get her sister (and brother) a visa to visit us? I
asked the Embassy in Bogota whether I could do anything --write my congressman or go
to the Embassy directly to vouch for a visa --but their reply was no. I don't know if
this is the right forum, but I thought others might have similar experiences and
hopefully advice.

Old Mar 6th 2002, 1:05 pm
Michael Voight

Default Re: Spouse's Siblings Want to Visit US

kenneth sanchez wrote:
    >
    > Through the finance visa, my Colombian wife came to the US and we were married here
    > in the states about 3.5 years back. She got her I-751 permanent residency recently
    > and will apply for naturalization in the next few months. Now, we are wanting her
    > brother and sister to visit us here in the US. Problem is, they don't have a visa
    > to come over, and her sister was recently turned down by the US Embassy in Bogota,
    > Colombia.
    >
    > Does anyone know of another way to get her sister (and brother) a visa to visit us?

It is perfectly normal for some categories of people from some countries to be unable
to get a B2 visa. It is generally based on the failure of other people to return from
their visits. Not a whole lot you can do. They need to prove they have enough
employment, assets, family, to make them return to their home country. It is part of
the INA. In fact, the person that was denied the visa could even give you the exact
part of the INA they failed on. That info would have been given to them. They could
try again, but unless something changes, they are probably out of luck.

Michael

Old Mar 7th 2002, 8:35 am
Bill

Default Re: Spouse's Siblings Want to Visit US

There are some expensive English language schools that can help foreigners get
student visas. I would check in your area.