Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Spouse visa with non-resident USC?

Wikiposts

Spouse visa with non-resident USC?

Old Aug 18th 2011, 10:26 am
Just Joined

sarahaha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spouse visa with non-resident USC?

Hi everyone,
I've tried googling to no avail and can't find a way to understand the procedures... My husband is a US citizen by descent but has never been a resident in the US. We're currently living in Australia but would like the chance to move to the US. Is there a way for us to apply for a spouse/migration visa for me (Aus citizen) and our two sons?
Thanks in advance,
Sarah
Old Aug 18th 2011, 10:55 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse visa with non-resident USC?

Originally Posted by sarahaha
Hi everyone,
I've tried googling to no avail and can't find a way to understand the procedures... My husband is a US citizen by descent but has never been a resident in the US. We're currently living in Australia but would like the chance to move to the US. Is there a way for us to apply for a spouse/migration visa for me (Aus citizen) and our two sons?
Thanks in advance,
Sarah
Yes. The key term you'll be looking to research is "DCF" (Direct Consular Filing).

Make sure your husband has filed at least the most recent 3 years of US Tax Returns, if he hasn't done so.

Make sure he reads the I-864 affidavit of support form and instructions found at www.uscis.gov. Two things he will have to address: 1) having enough income or assets, or finding a joint sponsor; and 2) showing intent to domicile in the USA.

There is a very good Wiki article on here regarding DCF. It's geared toward those in the UK, but your process will be the same....just a different consulate.

Rene
Old Aug 18th 2011, 10:57 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

He probably won't be able to pass on his US citizenship to his sons, so make sure he files an I-130 for each person who is immigrating.

Rene
Old Aug 18th 2011, 12:10 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a way for us to apply for a spouse/migration visa for me (Aus citizen) and our two sons?
To add to what Rene has said, be aware that your husband will need to file an I-864 for you, but will need I-864Ws for your sons. As long as your sons are under age 18 the day they enter the US with him and with their immigrant visas (the result of filing I-130s), they will immediately become US citizens. The day you enter the US, you will immediately become a US permanent resident - but, you will be eligible to naturalize after 3 years.

Ian
Old Aug 18th 2011, 11:13 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes. The key term you'll be looking to research is "DCF" (Direct Consular Filing).

Make sure your husband has filed at least the most recent 3 years of US Tax Returns, if he hasn't done so.

Make sure he reads the I-864 affidavit of support form and instructions found at www.uscis.gov. Two things he will have to address: 1) having enough income or assets, or finding a joint sponsor; and 2) showing intent to domicile in the USA.

There is a very good Wiki article on here regarding DCF. It's geared toward those in the UK, but your process will be the same....just a different consulate.

Rene
Australia had "true" DCF which is now dead and gone as of this week. UK has a DHS office so it was not, and still is not, "DCF" even though the Consulate and the DHS office are both in the Embassy.

So, if OP's family wishes to immigrate, the I-130 will not be filed in Australia, but will go to Chicago lockbox.

I think it is unfair that the same filing fee must be paid for each I-130. Someone may want to make a general comment to the Powers That Be who set the filing fees. There is already precedent in regards to the I-765 & I-131 filed concomitant to an I-485 adjustment.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Australia had "true" DCF which is now dead and gone as of this week. UK has a DHS office so it was not, and still is not, "DCF" even though the Consulate and the DHS office are both in the Embassy.

So, if OP's family wishes to immigrate, the I-130 will not be filed in Australia, but will go to Chicago lockbox.
Thanks for the reminder.

Sarah, go to www.uscis.gov, Forms, and look at the I-130 form and instructions. This is the first step in your immigration journey, so start there. The I-130 must be sent to the USA.

Rene
Old Aug 21st 2011, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

Wow, thanks so much for all the help, we'll start looking into the paperwork now
Old Mar 20th 2012, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

http://www.immihelp.com/affidavit-of...-domicile.html I have just been sent this link by a friend, which suggests that because my husband is not a resident, and has never been, he is unable to sponsor us for a spouse/family visa. So under these circumstances, how would we apply? I'm very confused as the visa paperwork (that I've just spent days preparing) does not mention this fact anywhere.
To clarify, my husband is a US citizen, by descent. He has not lived in the US for any extended period of time, and is currently living, with me, in Australia. Are we ineligible for visas?
Old Mar 20th 2012, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

My apologies - I've done a more thorough search with the keyword domicile and have found plenty of information.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 4:30 pm

My apologies - I've done a more thorough search with the keyword domicile and have found plenty of information.
The i-130 was filed to the USA, correct? Using a US address. So there shouldn't be a domicile issue. The USC will hear from NVC when it's time to submit the I-864.

Rene
Old Mar 20th 2012, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

The i-130 was sent on to my brother-in-law in the US to attach the checks and forward on to Chicago lockbox. I was just thinking ahead to the i-864 and my BIL was concerned about proof of domicile (not being aware that intent to domicile was sufficient).
Old Mar 20th 2012, 6:26 pm

The i-130 was sent on to my brother-in-law in the US to attach the checks and forward on to Chicago lockbox. I was just thinking ahead to the i-864 and my BIL was concerned about proof of domicile (not being aware that intent to domicile was sufficient).
Intent to domicile is only for DCF cases. Yours is not DCF. Since the I-130 was filed in the USA, USCIS believes the USC lives in the USA.

Rene
Old Mar 21st 2012, 1:36 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

How so? There is no more 'DCF'. Any US citizen who resides abroad may or may not have US domicile, and must file the I-130 in the USA unless USCIS has a field office in the country where the USC is residing.

Very few countries have a USCIS field office, and the I-130 should indicate whether the petitioner is residing in the USA or in some other country. If the USC does not reside in the USA they will have to return to the USA, or demonstrate the intent to return to the USA, at an appropriate time during the visa application process.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Intent to domicile is only for DCF cases. Yours is not DCF. Since the I-130 was filed in the USA, USCIS believes the USC lives in the USA.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
How so? There is no more 'DCF'. Any US citizen who resides abroad may or may not have US domicile, and must file the I-130 in the USA unless USCIS has a field office in the country where the USC is residing.

Very few countries have a USCIS field office, and the I-130 should indicate whether the petitioner is residing in the USA or in some other country. If the USC does not reside in the USA they will have to return to the USA, or demonstrate the intent to return to the USA, at an appropriate time during the visa application process.

Regards, JEff
Thanks JEff, that makes sense.

Rene