Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Is a spouse visa cheaper and quicker to process after four years of marriage?

Wikiposts

Is a spouse visa cheaper and quicker to process after four years of marriage?

Old Aug 28th 2008, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

drhewitt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is a spouse visa cheaper and quicker to process after four years of marriage?

Hi, I've seen this a couple of times on the forum:

"After 4 years of marriage the application process for your wifes UK visa becomes faster, simpler and cheaper."

In what way is it cheaper? Going by the last update, a spouse visa is $1,082 (assuming a rate of 2.10)

Also, how is it faster?

I will be applying for this visa within a few months and would like to know more about this.

Thanks
Old Aug 28th 2008, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is a spouse visa cheaper and quicker to process after four years of marriage?

Originally Posted by drhewitt
Hi, I've seen this a couple of times on the forum:

"After 4 years of marriage the application process for your wifes UK visa becomes faster, simpler and cheaper."

In what way is it cheaper? Going by the last update, a spouse visa is $1,082 (assuming a rate of 2.10)

Also, how is it faster?

I will be applying for this visa within a few months and would like to know more about this.

Thanks
Well as of today the xrate has already fallen to 1.82, long may it continue!

Variables aside, the process is different after four years meaning you can cut out a whole stage of getting to IRL. Under four years you have to apply for an intermittment stage visa, and then an IRL. Hence, its cheaper, simpler and faster without all the bother in the middle. You do obviously have to wait four years to get to it though
Old Aug 28th 2008, 8:42 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Is a spouse visa cheaper and quicker to process after four years of marriage?

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles
Well as of today the xrate has already fallen to 1.82, long may it continue!

Variables aside, the process is different after four years meaning you can cut out a whole stage of getting to IRL. Under four years you have to apply for an intermittment stage visa, and then an IRL. Hence, its cheaper, simpler and faster without all the bother in the middle. You do obviously have to wait four years to get to it though
The 'Knowledge of Life in the UK' test needs to be passed before ILE can be applied for. The test can currently only be taken in the UK.

Search for posts by 'petally' whose husband went this route in order to gain ILE, (Indefinite Leave to Enter as opposed to ILR - Indefinite Leave to Remain - which is applied for in-country).
Old Aug 28th 2008, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlyergirlUK
The 'Knowledge of Life in the UK' test needs to be passed before ILE can be applied for. The test can currently only be taken in the UK.

Search for posts by 'petally' whose husband went this route in order to gain ILE, (Indefinite Leave to Enter as opposed to ILR - Indefinite Leave to Remain - which is applied for in-country).
Soz yes, I know the genral process but havent had to dot i's and cross t's. Thank you.