Wikiposts

Sponsorship questions

Old Oct 26th 2009, 9:13 pm
On Cloud 10....

Blushbaby is a name known to allBlushbaby is a name known to allBlushbaby is a name known to allBlushbaby is a name known to allBlushbaby is a name known to allBlushbaby is a name known to allBlushbaby is a name known to allBlushbaby is a name known to allBlushbaby is a name known to allBlushbaby is a name known to allBlushbaby is a name known to all
Default Sponsorship questions

My head is about to explode with all the information I've read and I just need a little clarification

1-134 - My fiance will need to fill this in and provide details of his income, etc or do I fill this in providing details of my income and savings? A sponsor isn't needed for this form, no?

1-864 - This is to be completed after we marry? Who can act as a sponsor? Does it have to be a family member?

I know these may seem like silly questions but I just need to get things clear in my head.

Thanks for reading. This is all so confusing.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 11:59 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsorship questions

Originally Posted by Blushbaby
1-134 - My fiance will need to fill this in and provide details of his income, etc or do I fill this in providing details of my income and savings?
That depends -- which one of you is applying for a visa? I'm assuming this is the K-1 visa, correct?

A sponsor isn't needed for this form, no?
The very definition of completing the I-134 is to sponsor a beneficiary (that is, the intending immigrant). Whoever completes the I-134 IS the sponsor.

1-864 - This is to be completed after we marry?
Yes, as part of the AOS application (yours or your fiance's, not sure whose).

Who can act as a sponsor? Does it have to be a family member?
This info is found in the I-864 instructions.

~ Jenney
Old Oct 27th 2009, 12:27 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

1-134 - My fiance will need to fill this in and provide details of his income, etc...
If your fiance is the US citizen, yes.

A sponsor isn't needed for this form, no?
Your USC fiance *IS* the sponsor.

1-864 - This is to be completed after we marry?
Yes.

Who can act as a sponsor?
Your (then) USC husband *IS* your sponsor.

Does it have to be a family member?
If there is no joint sponsor, absolutely... yes - and it *must* be your USC husband. If your husband does not qualify financially, he is *still* your sponsor, but you will need a joint sponsor... and the joint sponsor can be anyone at all, as long as they are a USC or PR, over age 18, and living in the US. It does not need to be a relative. In fact, it doesn't even need to be someone you know.

Ian
Old Oct 27th 2009, 12:42 am
On Cloud 10....

Blushbaby is a name known to allBlushbaby is a name known to allBlushbaby is a name known to allBlushbaby is a name known to allBlushbaby is a name known to allBlushbaby is a name known to allBlushbaby is a name known to allBlushbaby is a name known to allBlushbaby is a name known to allBlushbaby is a name known to allBlushbaby is a name known to all

Ahhh I see. Yes, the K1 visa is for me and my fiance's a USC. Thanks for clearing that up for me guys - much appreciated
Old Oct 27th 2009, 6:08 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhh I see. Yes, the K1 visa is for me and my fiance's a USC. Thanks for clearing that up for me guys - much appreciated
See Form DS-2000 on the web site of the US consular section in London.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 7:23 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

My head is about to explode with all the information I've read and I just need a little clarification

1-134 - My fiance will need to fill this in and provide details of his income, etc or do I fill this in providing details of my income and savings? A sponsor isn't needed for this form, no?

1-864 - This is to be completed after we marry? Who can act as a sponsor? Does it have to be a family member?

I know these may seem like silly questions but I just need to get things clear in my head.

Thanks for reading. This is all so confusing.
Please read this page thoroughly and see if it answers your questions.

Evidence Which May Be Presented to Meet the Public Charge Provisions of the Law

The I-864 must be completed once you're in the US and are applying to Adjust Status (AOS).
Your spouse MUST be your Sponsor. If his income is insufficient, he can get a Joint Sponsor.

About the I-864

Evidence of Support - Any evidence which will show that you and members of your family who will accompany you are not likely to become public charges while in the United States. Note that the petitioner, in family based immigrant visa applications, and employment based immigrant visa applications where a family member has a significant ownership interest, is required to file a contractually binding Affidavit of Support, Form I-864. This requirement does not apply to K visa applicants. However, the petitioner will be required to file an I-864 when the K visa holder applies for an adjustment of status with the Department of Homeland Security, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) in the United States after the marriage ceremony has taken place. Further information for K visa applicants