Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

sponsor question - ( supporting docs)please help!

Wikiposts

sponsor question - ( supporting docs)please help!

Old Sep 1st 2015, 5:43 am
Just Joined

nolanisha is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation sponsor question - ( supporting docs)please help!

Hi everyone,

I am an USC who is living and working in the UK and married to a UKC. This year after a sudden and tragic death in my family back home, we are trying to get back the New Orleans as soon as possible. As we were married in the UK, I am going through the embassy and have already received our case number. We are going to be making the doctor's appointment soon, but I have a question about sponsorship/affidavit of support that I can't seem to find anywhere on the embassy's website.

My father is going to be the primary sponsor. I know documents that are required are three years worth of tax returns, a letter from an employer, and wage slips - but my father us a small business owner. Three years of tax returns shouldn't be a problem, but I am having trouble finding out what else would be required as he won't have wage slips or a letter from a boss.

Any help is kindly and greatly appreciated!

Many thanks.
Old Sep 1st 2015, 6:01 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sponsor question - ( supporting docs)please help!

Your father will be a joint sponsor. You are the sponsor, even if you don't qualify financially, so you still need to do an I-864 and present at least 1 year (3 years is better) of your tax returns.

For your father, keep in mind he can only use his personal income on the I-864 (not gross biz income). If he pays himself a salary, then that's what he will use on the I-864, along with proof that he collects this salary from the business.

Otherwise, for example, if his biz income is $60K a year, but he has $40K of biz expenses, then his personal income is $20K, and that's the figure he can use on the I-864.

He can show his income by providing quarterly profit/loss statements, contracts from clients, payments from clients, etc. Hard to know what kind of evidence he might have without knowing the nature of the business.

Rene
Old Sep 1st 2015, 7:31 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sponsor question - ( supporting docs)please help!

Originally Posted by nolanisha
My father is going to be the primary sponsor.
To clarify, you are not only the primary sponsor - you are the only sponsor because you are the USC spouse. Your father will be a joint sponsor.

Ian