Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

SOS - Daughter of US citizen age problem.

Wikiposts

SOS - Daughter of US citizen age problem.

Old Jan 2nd 2010, 11:28 pm
Just Joined

StitchM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SOS - Daughter of US citizen age problem.

Hi guys,

I'm English and my dad is an American citizen (his father was from Oklahoma) and my parents are looking at relocating us to the states. I am 19 at present but it's looking like I may be 21 by the time we get there. Will I be denied entry? I have read about a term called "age out". Does this mean I will not be able to go with my parents?

I don't believe that I would be able to get in on my own merits. I have a BND in Music (a college diploma) and a couple of half decent GCSEs. I have recently dropped out of uni due to ill health.

Am I destined to live and die in this hellhole and never make it home?

Regards,

Bev
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 11:36 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SOS - Daughter of US citizen age problem.

Presumably your father never lived in the US?

Others will comment in more detail but if your father sponsors you for immigration to the US now, as an unmarried child under 21, the process should be complete (and you enter the USA) before you turn 21.

"Age out" is a complex issue but usually applies to situations where employment based cases get cause in a quota backlog and by the time parents have qualified for a green card, child is too old to obtain one.

Are you 19 almost 20, or just turned 19? You don't have a huge amount of time remaining before you turn 21?
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 2:05 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StitchM
Hi guys,

Am I destined to live and die in this hellhole and never make it home?

Regards,

Bev
Very strange attitude. You've never lived in the US, are not a USC, so why do you consider it "home" and why do you hate the UK so very much. I fear that you are going to be considering the US a hell hole in short order if and when you get here.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 10:33 am
Just Joined

I will be 20 at the end of this coming May.

Is this what I need?

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/DCF_I-130_Filed_In_London

My father has not lived in the states since he was a kid and not long enough over 14 for me and my sister to qualify for citizenship.

We've visited the USA several times and me, my sister and parents always refer to it as home. It feels right - maybe this could be considered odd, maybe we always want what we haven't grown up with.

Cheers
Old Jan 4th 2010, 10:43 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StitchM
I will be 20 at the end of this coming May.

Is this what I need?

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/DCF_I-130_Filed_In_London

My father has not lived in the states since he was a kid and not long enough over 14 for me and my sister to qualify for citizenship.

We've visited the USA several times and me, my sister and parents always refer to it as home. It feels right - maybe this could be considered odd, maybe we always want what we haven't grown up with.

Cheers
Yes, and WRT your other posts, you're in a panic.

Is your father moving to the US also?
If he is, he may petition you and your sister for Permanent Residency. If he is living in the UK now, he can petition you at the London office, and the total application time is 4-5 months.
This is the same visa your mother would need if she is also coming.

Your father needs to relocate with or ahead of you.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
Yes, and WRT your other posts, you're in a panic.

Is your father moving to the US also?
If he is, he may petition you and your sister for Permanent Residency. If he is living in the UK now, he can petition you at the London office, and the total application time is 4-5 months.
This is the same visa your mother would need if she is also coming.

Your father needs to relocate with or ahead of you.
Thankyou so much for the advice so far :-)

Theoretically, we'd be moving stateside in March/April time of 2011, however we are vacationing in FL for a month in October 2010. If me, my sister and my mother have the DCF I-130 by then and enter the US, would the US government get funny about us going home for a few months?

It occurred to me last night that maybe if we had the visas by October, entering the US on vacation then would start them?

Kind regards,

Bev
Old Jan 7th 2010, 8:25 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

When you enter with the Immigrant Visa, you become Permanent Residents. You are allowed to travel back to tie up loose ends, which can take several months.

So yes, if you have the visa and enter in October, that 'starts' (more like 'finishes') them and you become Permanent Residents on your October trip.

edit: in case it's not perfectly clear in the wiki, the USC petitioner (your father) must enter the US with or ahead of you.. the 3 immigrants can't go on their own with the IVs.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You mentioned medical issues, no NHS in US, so something to think about.