Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Sorry, but i am lost!Whats all this about?

Wikiposts

Sorry, but i am lost!Whats all this about?

Old Dec 20th 2004, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

Americanwife is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Sorry, but i am lost!Whats all this about?

Hi guys!
Sorry if i sound dumb and dont know what im talking about, it is so confusing.Me and my husband dont understand this certain thing and hope you can help us figure it out.
I am in the US on K-3 visa and we didnt apply for AOS yet.
Here's what happens: my family in Israel received DS-3032 form(Choice of agent) from NVC and sent it to me, i filled it and sent to NVC.
Today we got a letter from them,saying we need to pay 335$ for immigrant visa application processing fee( means when we send them payment they will send us immigrant visa application with further instructions)
I am trying to understand what it is all about, coz i dont remember seeing anything being mentioned about this in this forum?
How AOS goes with that? Is it 2 things that should be done separately?
Would appreciate any help to understand that.
Thanks a lot
Old Dec 20th 2004, 7:05 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sorry, but i am lost!Whats all this about?

Originally Posted by Americanwife
Hi guys!
Sorry if i sound dumb and dont know what im talking about, it is so confusing.Me and my husband dont understand this certain thing and hope you can help us figure it out.
Here's what happens: my family in Israel received DS-3032 form(Choice of agent) from NVC and sent it to me, i filled it and sent to NVC.
Today we got a letter from them,saying we need to pay 335$ for immigrant visa application processing fee( means when we send them payment they will send us immigrant visa application with further instructions)
I am trying to understand what it is all about, coz i dont remember seeing anything being mentioned about this in this forum?
Thanks a lot
Hi AW,

They are 2 separate things. You are already here on your K3 visa, and you can stay and do AOS here. OR, you can pursue the approved I-130 which sounds like what you are now doing...which means eventually you will go back to your home country for an immigrant visa interview, and return to the USA in order to receive your eligibility for a green card upon entry to the USA with your immigrant visa. So you now have 2 choices. It's up to you which one to do. If you choose to stay here on your K-3 and do AOS within the USA, just send a letter to NVC saying you are doing that. If you choose to continue with the I-130 in order to go back home for another interview and get your green card that way, just continue with sending the money to NVC.

Hope that clears it up a bit....

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Dec 20th 2004, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

Oh, ok
But i sent them this agent choice form, saying I WILL PERSONALLY receive their mails and i am in the US.
i intend to apply AOS while being HERE
was it so hard for them to understand if i am in the US?

They are 2 separate things. You are already here on your K3 visa, and you can stay and do AOS here. OR, you can pursue the approved I-130 which sounds like what you are now doing...which means eventually you will go back to your home country for an immigrant visa interview, and return to the USA in order to receive your eligibility for a green card upon entry to the USA with your immigrant visa. So you now have 2 choices. It's up to you which one to do. If you choose to stay here on your K-3 and do AOS within the USA, just send a letter to NVC saying you are doing that. If you choose to continue with the I-130 in order to go back home for another interview and get your green card that way, just continue with sending the money to NVC.

Hope that clears it up a bit....

Best Wishes,
Rene[/QUOTE]
Old Dec 20th 2004, 7:10 am
Found: My soul mate!!

mrs.jar2b will become famous soon enoughmrs.jar2b will become famous soon enough

Since you are here on a K3 you have two options for applying for your immigrant visa ... AOS or applying at the consulate abroad. The National Visa Center, once they receive your approved petition, assumes (for lack of a better word) that you will be applying for your immigrant visa abroad. They send you the agent of choice letter automatically. Since you are here on your K3 you can choose to apply for AOS in the US instead. Just contact the NVC and let them know that's what you prefer to do and they will hold on to your petition until the CIS service center/district office requests it after receiving your AOS application.

You can probably get more detail than this by doing a search for consular processing vs. AOS perhaps.
Old Dec 20th 2004, 7:10 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, ok
But i sent them this agent choice form, saying I WILL PERSONALLY receive their mails and i am in the US.
i intend to apply AOS while being HERE
was it so hard for them to understand if i am in the US?
[/QUOTE]
I'm sure they do understand that you are now in the USA. But even now that you're here, you could still choose to go back to your home country for the immigrant visa route. Being here in the USA on the K3 does not automatically cancel the I-130 route. You should have sent a letter to NVC saying you want to adjust status here, while on your K3 visa...before you sent back the agent of choice. You don't need an agent of choice if you are doing AOS here from your K3 visa. But, you can just send NVC that letter now and it will all be OK. At least, that's my belief.

Rene
Old Dec 20th 2004, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

Umm, is there any specific form beside DS-3032 to inform them im gonna stay here for AOS?
Thanks again it finally starts making sense to me.
Happy holidays
Old Dec 20th 2004, 7:14 am

mrs.jar2b will become famous soon enoughmrs.jar2b will become famous soon enough

I would think she'd be fine doing that too.

Happy birthday a day late Rene!
Old Dec 20th 2004, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by mrs.jar2b
I would think she'd be fine doing that too.

Happy birthday a day late Rene!
Thanks, Mrs. Jar2b

AmericanWife - I'm not a K3 person so I don't know that one...hopefully someone else can chime in who knows for sure.

Rene
Old Dec 20th 2004, 7:27 am

Umm, is there any specific form beside DS-3032 to inform them im gonna stay here for AOS?
Thanks again it finally starts making sense to me.
Happy holidays
My husband is a K3 and we just decided on the AOS route. Just type up a semi-formal letter to the NVC (there is no official form for this) and be sure to include your A number along with your name. Be sure to send a photocopy of your notice of action (Form I-797) showing that your I-130 was approved. Briefly mention you plan to adjust status here in the US rather than applying for your visa abroad. You'll probably get a confirmation letter from them saying that they will hold on to your petition until CIS asks for it after you apply for AOS. We got our confirmation letter the same day we received the agent of choice letter.

Not sure if it's necessary but you may want to mention you mistakenly sent back the agent of choice letter, but that you definately are planning to adjust status here.

Good luck! Jackie

Last edited by mrs.jar2b; Dec 20th 2004 at 7:29 am. Reason: rewording
Old Dec 20th 2004, 7:30 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks a lot
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271840
Old Dec 20th 2004, 7:42 am

I can see how this part could be confusing though. I like learning as much as I can in advance about the next step in the process ... I'm sure not everyone has the same interest (even though it would make life more difficult)!
Old Dec 20th 2004, 7:44 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you did see it mentioned. It was mentioned to you recently by Mr. Folinskyinla when he told you when you announced the approval of your I-130 that you have to decide about where you will adjust status. He even mentioned the name of the street in Israel that you would go to.

The monies asked for are for the I-864 clearance fee and the immigration visa fee.

Rete

Leaving before she decides that she is a lady ... repeat those words ... you are a lady, you are a lady.

Hi guys!
Thanks a lot