Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Son has green card but is at university in England

Son has green card but is at university in England

Old Jan 24th 2013, 5:26 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Son has green card but is at university in England

You are still not being clear. There is no "GC process", that's an ambiguous statement. There are two ways to obtain Permanent Resident status:
- apply for an immigrant visa overseas, or
- if in the USA as a non-immigrant apply for adjustment of status.

Which did you do?

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Middlemore
Sorry, I wasn't clear.
We began the GC process in 2009, ...
Old Jan 24th 2013, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Middlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the rough

Ok, I'm still struggling a little with terminology, but we applied for immigrant visas overseas.
As mentioned earlier, we were given the impression by our lawyer that we could not enter the US during this process. So our first opportunity to travel again was Christmas 2011, which we did. Son went straight back to uni in England after 2 weeks, and i traveled back and forth for a while, putting things in order and arranging shipping from the UK. Now I'm based in IL but still visit the UK a couple of weeks a year.

And to another question, yes he did sign up for selective service, its always been his intention to settle in the US with us once he finishes uni.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

zerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Middlemore
And to another question, yes he did sign up for selective service, its always been his intention to settle in the US with us once he finishes uni.
That's good! The more demonstrable actions he's taken to indicate that he regards the US as his home, the better his case he hasn't abandoned. Also, as has been pointed out, being abroad to study is commonplace in his situation. But he has missed the boat on the re-entry permit, so it seems to me there is an issue that needs to be addressed before it becomes more serious.

Having said that, I should probably bow out of this thread now, as I have no personal experience of abandonment/SB-1 issues and I have absolutely no idea whether your son is in for a trivial visit to the consulate in London or a years-long bureaucratic nightmare (worst case, a new I-130). This is not a DIY project; a consultation with an immigration lawyer is cheap and you can do it over the internet. Good luck.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Middlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by zerlesen
That's good! The more demonstrable actions he's taken to indicate that he regards the US as his home, the better his case he hasn't abandoned. Also, as has been pointed out, being abroad to study is commonplace in his situation. But he has missed the boat on the re-entry permit, so it seems to me there is an issue that needs to be addressed before it becomes more serious.

Having said that, I should probably bow out of this thread now, as I have no personal experience of abandonment/SB-1 issues and I have absolutely no idea whether your son is in for a trivial visit to the consulate in London or a years-long bureaucratic nightmare (worst case, a new I-130). This is not a DIY project; a consultation with an immigration lawyer is cheap and you can do it over the internet. Good luck.
Thank you very much for your input, its much appreciated!