Wikiposts

Some DCF questions

Old Nov 27th 2005, 11:29 pm
Just Joined

Candace is a jewel in the roughCandace is a jewel in the roughCandace is a jewel in the roughCandace is a jewel in the roughCandace is a jewel in the rough
Default Some DCF questions

Hello,

I just wondered if I can get some advice please.

The background:

My USC husband (military) and I live in Germany. I am a British citizen, I do not need a visa or permit to enter or live in Germany because of both countries being within the European Union.

We will be returning to the US in March 2007, when his tour in Germany is completed. We are going to file DCF in Frankfurt (well, at the USCIS field office there – the ‘non DCF’ DCF route!) early in the New Year (the reason for the delay is that he is currently deployed to Iraq.)

Question One
You can post the I-130 to Frankfurt, or walk-in with it. Is there any advantages to walking in with it? I understand we could get the rest of the information together for the stage after the I-130 and take it all with us, and perhaps have them start a file for us then, but as we wouldn’t get an interview at that point (and considering Frankfurt is quite a distance to travel if it can be avoided) would it be better to post the I-130 and wait for an interview date to do the rest?

Question Two
I am in the UK until my husband returns from his deployment, so can get any documents etc. I need to submit in Germany whilst I am here. Can anyone direct me to a place where there is a list of the supporting documents? I understand a police certificate is included but I cannot find details of what this is – can any Brits help with regard to actually getting this certificate, and how long before submitting my application I need to do so?

Question Three
Depending on the speed of the process and with the exception of any issues that may arise during it, it seems as though I might get the approval and the visa some time before our ‘official’ return to the US in March 2007. Can I enter the US, get my stamp etc. and leave again, so long as I don’t leave for more than 12 months? (NB I do have an address in the US, not an APO, which is my official stateside address (my parents-in-law’s) where my green card etc can be sent.) If I cannot enter unless I am staying there permanently, how long is the visa valid for once it is issued?

Thankyou!
Old Nov 28th 2005, 2:07 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Some DCF questions

Originally Posted by Candace
Hello,

I just wondered if I can get some advice please.

The background:

My USC husband (military) and I live in Germany. I am a British citizen, I do not need a visa or permit to enter or live in Germany because of both countries being within the European Union.

We will be returning to the US in March 2007, when his tour in Germany is completed. We are going to file DCF in Frankfurt (well, at the USCIS field office there – the ‘non DCF’ DCF route!) early in the New Year (the reason for the delay is that he is currently deployed to Iraq.)

Question One
You can post the I-130 to Frankfurt, or walk-in with it. Is there any advantages to walking in with it? I understand we could get the rest of the information together for the stage after the I-130 and take it all with us, and perhaps have them start a file for us then, but as we wouldn’t get an interview at that point (and considering Frankfurt is quite a distance to travel if it can be avoided) would it be better to post the I-130 and wait for an interview date to do the rest?

Question Two
I am in the UK until my husband returns from his deployment, so can get any documents etc. I need to submit in Germany whilst I am here. Can anyone direct me to a place where there is a list of the supporting documents? I understand a police certificate is included but I cannot find details of what this is – can any Brits help with regard to actually getting this certificate, and how long before submitting my application I need to do so?

Question Three
Depending on the speed of the process and with the exception of any issues that may arise during it, it seems as though I might get the approval and the visa some time before our ‘official’ return to the US in March 2007. Can I enter the US, get my stamp etc. and leave again, so long as I don’t leave for more than 12 months? (NB I do have an address in the US, not an APO, which is my official stateside address (my parents-in-law’s) where my green card etc can be sent.) If I cannot enter unless I am staying there permanently, how long is the visa valid for once it is issued?

Thankyou!
Hi:

See if you can consult with a knowledgable JAG office or perhaps the consulates/CIS offices in Frankfurt or LND can be of assistance. There are often special rules avaialble for military and dependent personnel.

I am not expert on this but have seen some mighty interesting fact situations which would never have occured in the civilian situation. Your possiblities may be greater than you think.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 4:16 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Candace
Question Two
Weird terminology on this one and it's difficult to Google without knowing them. You actually need a "subject access report" and you apply to the police force where you are (or were last) resident. Each force seems to have their own quirks in the application procedure.

Here's an example one for you to start your own search:
http://www.gmp.police.uk/spages/foi_subjectaccess
Old Nov 28th 2005, 6:58 am
Just Joined

Candace is a jewel in the roughCandace is a jewel in the roughCandace is a jewel in the roughCandace is a jewel in the roughCandace is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Weird terminology on this one and it's difficult to Google without knowing them. You actually need a "subject access report" and you apply to the police force where you are (or were last) resident. Each force seems to have their own quirks in the application procedure.

Here's an example one for you to start your own search:
http://www.gmp.police.uk/spages/foi_subjectaccess
Thanks very much, I have contacted my local police force and they're sending me a form

Sorry if some of my terminology was weird, I thought I'd explained it pretty well but there's even more proof that I've well and truly fallen down a hole somewhere between being British, American and a military spouse!

Thanks again.