British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   Solo visa activation trip (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/solo-visa-activation-trip-903089/)

Stevie P Sep 8th 2017 2:14 pm

Solo visa activation trip

Hi I'm planning on making a solo round trip to the US to activate my CR/IR visa, is this ok to do ?
Or does my wife USC wife need to be with me? I need to come back to finalize some matters and we don't need the cost of both of us going if we can help it.
Also does it matter which state I fly into to activate it ? I'm figuring as long as I explain I'm going back to the UK for a while it shouldn't be a problem right?

tom169 Sep 8th 2017 2:30 pm

Re: Solo visa activation trip

Your wife, as an I-864 sponsor, needs to either be in the USA already or accompany you on the trip.

That said, you can leave immediately afterwards. The stamp in your passport serves as proof of you being an LPR for 1 year. You will need an address in the USA for your green card to be sent to.

MidAtlantic Sep 8th 2017 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Stevie P (Post 12334091)
Hi I'm planning on making a solo round trip to the US to activate my CR/IR visa, is this ok to do ?
Or does my wife USC wife need to be with me? I need to come back to finalize some matters and we don't need the cost of both of us going if we can help it.
Also does it matter which state I fly into to activate it ? I'm figuring as long as I explain I'm going back to the UK for a while it shouldn't be a problem right?

Your US citizen wife has to be there before you or accompany you.

It doesn't matter where you enter.

Noorah101 Sep 8th 2017 4:21 pm

As others have said, you can't use your immigrant visa as you describe. Your USC spouse needs to enter the USA before you, or at the same time as you, not after you.

It does not matter where your POE will be.

Rene

Stevie P Sep 8th 2017 5:47 pm

Thank you to all whom replied, oh well best laid plans and all that. Guess that ones a no go 😄

ian-mstm Sep 8th 2017 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Stevie P (Post 12334091)
I'm planning on making a solo round trip to the US to activate my CR/IR visa, is this ok to do ?

Yes, but your USC wife must either be with you or already in the US.

I need to come back to finalize some matters and we don't need the cost of both of us going if we can help it.
If money is an issue, why would you fly to the US just to activate the visa and then return? Is the visa getting close to expiring?

Also does it matter which state I fly into to activate it ?
No.

I'm figuring as long as I explain I'm going back to the UK for a while it shouldn't be a problem right?
I see that no one has explained why this must be: your status depends on the I-864 sponsor being present the moment you enter the US... so, either your wife goes with you, or she's already in the US ahead of you. It actually has nothing to do with your visa, and it has everything to do with the I-864.

Ian