Social Security Number

Old Jun 21st 2014, 7:15 pm
2+2=5

GarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the rough
Default Social Security Number

Hi all

So I've been in the US for nearly 4 weeks now and still haven't received my SSN. I opted to receive the card on the DS-260, however I am led to believe that this system only works half the time.

I went to my local SS office after 10 days and asked whether my number had to generated and whether I could possibly have it. I was told that I was not on the system yet and in any case they could not give out first time SS number's over the counter as policy has recently changed. She told me my only option was to wait 28 days and if it still has not arrived to go back and start the process from scratch. She said this would take another 4-8 weeks.

I'm torn between waiting and hoping the POE officer at LAX did his bit when I arrived or just starting the process from scratch. Has anyone here had a similar experience? It is normal to wait 4 weeks after entry to receive the card? I'm desperate to get hold of my number because I can't really do much without it. I'm bored - thank god for the world cup!

Thanks guys
Old Jun 21st 2014, 7:19 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Security Number

Try a different Social Security office.

And, by the way, you can seek employment without a Social Security Number. Your foreign passport + Immigrant Visa is enough. See the requirements to fill an I-9 at http://www.uscis.gov
Old Jun 21st 2014, 7:32 pm
2+2=5

GarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks very much for your reply. I will see what other office's are nearby.

Yes, I did hear that you can become employed with just the visa and I have been looking but the main thing I want to get sorted for now is driving. I can't get a learners permit without one. Living in OC California I'm literally housebound without a car!

Cheers
Old Jun 21st 2014, 7:41 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarethB789
... the main thing I want to get sorted for now is driving. I can't get a learners permit without one.
You can drive on your UK license for a while.

Ian
Old Jun 21st 2014, 8:37 pm
2+2=5

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You can drive on your UK license for a while.

Ian
That would be ideal but I don't have a UK licence. I lived in central London all my life and have never needed to drive... until now.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 1:23 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarethB789
That would be ideal but I don't have a UK licence. I lived in central London all my life and have never needed to drive... until now.
Ah... well then, never mind!

Ian
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

dragon4609 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just arrived on a K1 visa. I don't remember filling in any information regarding my SSN. I guess I will just go to the local office after about 10 days and see what happens.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 5:20 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

K-1 applicants can't request a SSN in advance, that's only for immigrant visas.

Yes, you will have to go apply in person, about 10 days after arrival in the USA.

Rene
Old Jun 25th 2014, 7:00 pm
2+2=5

So I called the SSA yesterday to tell them it has been over 4 weeks since I have arrived and still no SSN. I asked whether I should just cut my loses and go and apply at my local office and the representative on the phone advised no because it can apparently take up to 8 weeks and if it is being processed and I apply for one this might complicate things with duplication etc.

Does this sound right to you guys? Has anyone received their SSN after 4 weeks of entry?

Thanks guys
Old Jun 25th 2014, 7:15 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Ignore them and go and file for one.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

I am confused. Do I need to fill out any forms to get my SSN?

The information suggests that if your on a K1 visa you just turn up at the local office after 10 days of arriving and you will be on the system. Do they then give you the card or just the number?
Old Jun 30th 2014, 4:15 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dragon4609
Do I need to fill out any forms to get my SSN?
If you enter on a K-1 visa, yes... form SS-5.

The information suggests that if your on a K1 visa you just turn up at the local office after 10 days of arriving and you will be on the system.
Not the SSA system specifically... but the SAVE system. If you're in SAVE when SSA checks, your SS-5 will be processed and your SS card will show up in the mail a week or so later. If you're not in SAVE when they check, then they'll need to manually verify your eligibility status - and that could take 8-10 weeks.

Ian
Old Jun 30th 2014, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

Cheers.

I guess If I am not in the SAVE system. I should maybe wait another 10 before trying again?
Old Jun 30th 2014, 6:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dragon4609
I guess If I am not in the SAVE system. I should maybe wait another 10 before trying again?
Yes - that'd be another option for you! Make sure you ask them not to verify your eligibility (because you might not be able to stop it, once it starts)... and simply return after another 10 days has passed.

Ian