Social Security Number

Old Aug 12th 2013, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

JimBeam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Social Security Number

So I had my marriage based visa stamped as i went through passport control on the 10th July. All good. Flew back to UK to sort a few bits out and will be returning to the US for good in October.

Now, I'm still awaiting my social security number that I did ask for on the forms. I read somewhere that this should only take about 3 weeks to come through. They have a US address to send correspondence to.

Anyone else experienced a longish wait for their number and is there somewhere where I can chase this up?

Thanks folks.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 3:41 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Security Number

Originally Posted by JimBeam
Now, I'm still awaiting my social security number that I did ask for on the forms. I read somewhere that this should only take about 3 weeks to come through. They have a US address to send correspondence to.
It could take longer than 3 weeks.

else experienced a longish wait for their number and is there somewhere where I can chase this up?
The only way is to chase it up in person at the local SS office when you get back to the USA, if it hasn't arrived by then.

Rene
Old Aug 12th 2013, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

Great, thanks Rene for the quick reply.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 3:50 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I know Speedwells husband was able to obtain his SSN from an SS Office after only about 5 days, not sure he has received the paper card yet though.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Ticking the box on the DS-230 form requesting a SSN application be filed for you on arrival doesn't always work, although it does for most people. Sometimes CBP forget to action it.

You're now past ten working days since you immigrated, which means you should now be on the immigration computer system that the SSA uses to verify your eligibility for an SSN. That means that even if your application wasn't processed on arrival, you can go to a local Social Security office and file a form SS-5 to request a number and card.

The SSA office should be able to confirm your eligibility there and then. If your original application on the DS-230 was actioned correctly on arrival, they can give you a letter stating your SSN then. If it wasn't actioned, and they accept your SS-5 application, you can go back the next day to get the letter with your number. The actual Social Security Card will turn up in the mail a few weeks later.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 6:33 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
I know Speedwells husband was able to obtain his SSN from an SS Office after only about 5 days, not sure he has received the paper card yet though.
He received the paper card 3 business days after the appointment at the office. I don't know when he would have received it had we not gone to the office!
Old Aug 12th 2013, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

KCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant future

My father got his right away, but my mother's info was not entered at all so we had to apply for a number. Go figure! By the way they entered on the same day at the same place and processed by the same agent.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Carlisle401 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Speedwell
He received the paper card 3 business days after the appointment at the office. I don't know when he would have received it had we not gone to the office!
Hi Punjama,

Did he just go to the Social Security office and get his number. I have been here 20 days and have not received anything. I have to go to Norway for three weeks today. If it hasn't,t come by then, I will go to the SS office.

PS I have just had a cup of your favorite tea
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 6:38 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Social Security Number

Originally Posted by rpjs
Ticking the box on the DS-230 form requesting a SSN application be filed for you on arrival doesn't always work, although it does for most people. Sometimes CBP forget to action it.

You're now past ten working days since you immigrated, which means you should now be on the immigration computer system that the SSA uses to verify your eligibility for an SSN. That means that even if your application wasn't processed on arrival, you can go to a local Social Security office and file a form SS-5 to request a number and card.

The SSA office should be able to confirm your eligibility there and then. If your original application on the DS-230 was actioned correctly on arrival, they can give you a letter stating your SSN then. If it wasn't actioned, and they accept your SS-5 application, you can go back the next day to get the letter with your number. The actual Social Security Card will turn up in the mail a few weeks later.

Thats good to know. Thanks for posting.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 10:56 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Well I arrived yesterday, I'm going to leave it a couple of weeks and then visit the SS Office. Let's see if the DS-230 got where it needed to go!
Old Sep 13th 2013, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Well I got back from Norway on the 9th September and still no SSN. I went down to the SS Office and was told that Homeland Security was holding it up. I was getting worried. The girl at SS then said that they couldn't figure out my first name, James or James Alexander. I filled many forms showing my first and second name!!!!! Then she said it happens all the time.
It will take maximum four weeks.
Old Sep 13th 2013, 8:55 pm
Often not so civil...

My Green Card arrives today, off to the SS Office on Tuesday since I was told that after 3 weeks I should apply for one.
Old Sep 15th 2013, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

Ailidh is an unknown quantity at this point

It took at least 3 months (after getting his green card) for my husband to get his SSN. We re-applied (I had already applied when applying for his green card) at the SS office. We went back by, we called numerous times. He finally got the card after we sent a letter complaining about all the erroneous information we had been getting from SS (they claimed it was Homeland Security holding things up, we went down to Homeland Security and they said that was nonsense.. actually I think the HS guy said bullsh*t..). A letter (registered with acknowledgement of receipt) seemed to work (because it left a written trace) where visits to the SS office and phone calls didn't.

Last edited by Ailidh; Sep 15th 2013 at 5:16 am.
Old Sep 15th 2013, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ailidh
It took at least 3 months (after getting his green card) for my husband to get his SSN. We re-applied (I had already applied when applying for his green card) at the SS office. We went back by, we called numerous times. He finally got the card after we sent a letter complaining about all the erroneous information we had been getting from SS (they claimed it was Homeland Security holding things up, we went down to Homeland Security and they said that was nonsense.. actually I think the HS guy said bullsh*t..). A letter (registered with acknowledgement of receipt) seemed to work (because it left a written trace) where visits to the SS office and phone calls didn't.
Many thanks for the info. I would like to get it because I would like to get my AZ Drivers license and of course a credit card.
What really got to me was the fact that they thought my first is James Alexander and not James.
Old Sep 15th 2013, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

Ailidh is an unknown quantity at this point

That's weird. They did the same thing with my husband, claiming his first and middle names were combined. I wonder if that's really a problem or if it's a standard excuse they use to explain their incompetence.

Good luck! We discovered you can't do anything without a SSN: driver's license (can't do anything without that), open a bank account, etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.