Reload this Page >

Social Security card for K-2 child

Wikiposts

Social Security card for K-2 child

Old Oct 3rd 2001, 5:29 pm
North_to_alaska

. However, you're fairly certain all I need is the passport? Cause the
    >

I don't know about kids being put on your passport. Did he have to sign to have your
children included on your passport? I got my son his own passport so that was not an
issue with me. ALSO - they checked his passport and the custody papers and never
asked to see a letter of permission or anything else in my great binder of assorted
paperwork other than what was absolutely necessary. Joy

Old Oct 3rd 2001, 6:01 pm
Jeff And Lorrie Ogle

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

Joy You are giving me great hope that on top of all the INS stuff, I don't have to
deal with a court battle with his Royal Sh** for Brains. Yes, he did have to sign
for the passport. So that's sort of implied permission right there, isn't it? As a
matter of fact, he signed it so that we could go live in Memphis for a few months.
I just wish the darned Consulate would give me a definitive answer...hell..any kind
of answer would be good....so I can put this to rest. Barring that...you've managed
to ease some of the tension and I think that my head will not explode after all.
Now, can you do something for my hubby's tension as he just got his cell phone bill
and apparently, this living apart again thing isn't working to well for the ol'
budget! LOL

Lorrie

Old Oct 5th 2001, 5:26 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Joy,

I'm glad that my son's school didn't require an 'A' number when I registered him. The INS didn't assign him an 'A' number until they received his I-485 AOS application 3 months after he started school.

How long ago was that income tax experience where your husband wrote "pending" in place of an SSN? The INS has been quite specific for several years now that an SSN or ITIN must be in-hand and the number entered on the tax return or the claimed exemption for the dependent will be denied. The following quote comes from the INS web site:
" If you must file a U.S. tax return or you are listed on a tax return as a spouse or a dependent and you do not have, and cannot obtain, a valid Social Security Number, you must apply for an ITIN. The IRS no longer accepts "SSA205c", "applied for", "NRA", blanks, or previously issued IRS temporary numbers. ... If a dependent SSN/ITIN is missing, the exemptions will be denied and refunds will be adjusted accordingly. ..."

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by North_to_alaska
"Jeff and Lorrie Ogletree" <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >

Hi Lorrie,

When I registered my son for school, all that was required was his "A" number,
proof that he is in the country legally. Lots of students from all over the world
study in America and don't have social security numbers. As far as the income tax
thing goes, my husband just put "pending" in the place where my son's social
security number was supposed to go and it went through with no problem. Joy
Old Oct 5th 2001, 6:18 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default For Jeff and Lorrie Ogletree

If your I-130 is approved before the K-3, you are aware you will be using Montreal and not Vancouver. Also have you verified with Vancouver that they are allowed to do the K-3's?

Rita
Old Oct 5th 2001, 6:27 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt that the checklist will mention the letter or custody papers. On the whole the NG advocates that parents have a signed letter of permission from the other parent to present at the time of the K-1 interview. This is especially necessary if the other parent has formal court ordered visitation or joint custody. Of course, if the courts have not given either of these rights to the other spouse and the custodial parent is the sole custodian, paperwork to that effect is probably all that is needed.

Bear in mind, however, that the US and Canadian have an agreement to work hand in hand in regards to children and transportation across international lines and the payment of child support. Canada can get a Canadian living in the US for non-support of a court ordered child support agreement and vis-a-versa. I don't have the reference for this but our Canadian friend from NS who migrated to the US was specifically told this by the court at the time of his court hearing re child support.

As for Vancouver and Montreal, some have been asked for the letter and/or court papers and others have not.

Rita
Old Oct 5th 2001, 7:15 am
Jeff And Lorrie Ogle

>
    >
    >
    >

Rita

If you or any of the group gurus could give me any idea how to get in touch with the
Vancouver Consulate so I could ask some of these questions......I'd be forever in
your debt. Actually, I don't want to ask - I just want answers. Phoning is no
good. Fax and emails haven't been answered. Talking on that silly 1-900# @$2/min was
a waste of time. (I knew I was in trouble when the girl said "Dunh...K3?!?!?!" . I
knew I was at the wrong place.) However, the 1-900 girl did give me a phone number
and extension at Montreal who are very friendly but answered with "sometimes we need
a letter and sometimes we don't". <Sigh> Also, she didn't have a clue as to whether
or not Vancouver would be doing the K3. And yes, I am aware that I have to go to
Montreal for the 1-130. It's one of the reasons we are pinning a lot of hopes on the
K3 as we live just outside of Vancouver.

Lorrie