Social security after EAD question

Wikiposts

Social security after EAD question

Old Dec 17th 2003, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

Tavia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Social security after EAD question

Hi all .
I have a few questions concerning social security card that you receive after your EAD card. I know that when you receive the SS card through EAD your SS card has a restriction on it that says valid for work through INS authorisation or something like that. But is that all you are able to use your social security number for?.Work only?. Can't you use it to open your bank account, telephone or cable or just simple things like that?.Would that be considered to be illegal?.If you are asked for your Social security number other than for work, like at your clinic or school or so on are you going to say you dont have a number just because its valid for work only?. I don't understand about this restriction and what you are and not allowed to use your number for especially if it is your for life.
I would appreciate any replies cause even the smallest information can help clarify things.

Merry christmas
Old Dec 17th 2003, 10:02 am
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social security after EAD question

Originally posted by Tavia
Hi all .
I have a few questions concerning social security card that you receive after your EAD card. I know that when you receive the SS card through EAD your SS card has a restriction on it that says valid for work through INS authorisation or something like that. But is that all you are able to use your social security number for?.Work only?. Can't you use it to open your bank account, telephone or cable or just simple things like that?.Would that be considered to be illegal?.If you are asked for your Social security number other than for work, like at your clinic or school or so on are you going to say you dont have a number just because its valid for work only?. I don't understand about this restriction and what you are and not allowed to use your number for especially if it is your for life.
I would appreciate any replies cause even the smallest information can help clarify things.

Merry christmas
No, you should be allowed to use your SS# for all those things. It just means you won't be allowed to work if you don't have a EAD or if it runs out. But it shouldn't apply to any other things...you can use it for those.
Old Dec 17th 2003, 10:10 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Tavia,

No, you are not restricted to using your SSN for work only.

In all of these situations, I submit that you aren't the one who is using your SSN anyway. The other party is using it - as their means to identify you and keep track of their records about you.

Regards, JEff

Hi all .

Merry christmas
Old Dec 17th 2003, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

Wow that was fast response. You guys are the best. Thank you for the information. The reason why I asked was because I read where someone said that it was illegal and I just do not want to get into any trouble with INS and their laws. But at least its a relief to know that I don't have restrictions on those things. Its emabarrasing sometimes when they ask for your SSN and you have to reply .."don't have one". I get that lump in my throat that makes me feel like I have no identity. You guys who went through it know what I mean. You never realise how importnat it is until you come to the US and have to use it all the time.

Thanks again you guys.
Old Dec 17th 2003, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

grioghair is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all .

Merry christmas
I've just received my EAD and got my name entered into the system about a month back. I have got a state ID card and opened a bank account all with the SSN issued to me with the "valid for work only with INS authorization" stamped on it. (It works for driver's licenses, too - in fact, it works in all situations where social security cards work...so, no worries.)

It must be modified when you get a Green Card and once again after naturalization - if you intend going that far.

Steve
Old Dec 17th 2003, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

Hey:_ thank for the info. I have been wondering where to go to get the state ID. Do I go to the Court house or to where they give the drivers licence. My EAD is in my maiden name and my SSC is in my married name so therefore I always have to carry my Marriage certificate to explain. I want to get me a state ID so I don't have to keep explaining all the time. Hopefully the next time I get my EAD (I know how long processing AOS takes in my state..ha ha .very long)it will be in my married name. INS said that they just need to finish processing the papers first before changing the name.
Thanx for the info again.
Old Dec 17th 2003, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

Hey:_ thank for the info. I have been wondering where to go to get the state ID. Do I go to the Court house or to where they give the drivers licence. My EAD is in my maiden name and my SSC is in my married name so therefore I always have to carry my Marriage certificate to explain. I want to get me a state ID so I don't have to keep explaining all the time. Hopefully the next time I get my EAD (I know how long processing AOS takes in my state..ha ha .very long)it will be in my married name. INS said that they just need to finish processing the papers first before changing the name.
Thanx for the info again.
Go to the License Branch for the ID card - it is about $9 in my State...and it is a pretty quick process. (Mine was finished in about 10 minutes.) It all depends when you visit these places. I'm finding it is always best to avoid Mondays.

Look online for the License Branch in your State - you can download information about the proof of ID that you need to take with you.

Steve
Old Dec 17th 2003, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

wow. You mean you get your ID the same day?. That sounds great. I thought it would probably take a week and be sent by mail. Shows you how much I know about that. I will try and go to the office tomorrow see what happens.and yeah. i know these places are always busy and some people are not that eager to help. They do not care how long you sit and wait. But thanx for the heads up.
Old Dec 17th 2003, 11:18 am
Michael D. Young

jeffreyhy wrote:

> Tavia,
    > No, you are not restricted to using your SSN for work only.
    > In all of these situations, I submit that you aren't the one who is
    > using your SSN anyway. The other party is using it - as their means to
    > identify you and keep track of their records about you.

SSA only needs your SSN to post your earnings to your earnings record and pay benefits when the time comes. Any other use could be either authorized or
unauthorized use. Government use is covered by the Privacy Act.

If a business or other enterprise asks you for your SSN, you can refuse to give it. However, that may mean doing without the purchase or service for
which your number was requested. For example, utility companies and other services ask for a Social Security number, but do not need it; they can do a
credit check or identify the person in their records by alternative means. Giving your number is voluntary, even when you are asked for the number
directly. If requested, you should ask why your number is needed, how your number will be used, what law requires you to give your number and what the
consequences are if you refuse. The answers to these questions can help you decide if you want to give your Social Security number. The decision is
yours.

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/...php?p_faqid=78

Old Dec 17th 2003, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

wow. You mean you get your ID the same day?. That sounds great. I thought it would probably take a week and be sent by mail. Shows you how much I know about that. I will try and go to the office tomorrow see what happens.and yeah. i know these places are always busy and some people are not that eager to help. They do not care how long you sit and wait. But thanx for the heads up.
It is issued the same day. Don't forget to take all required documentaion with you, otherwise they will not issue you with one. Basically you need an SSC, EAD, proof of where you live and a recent utility bill - but they may not ask for all of that.

Steve
Old Dec 17th 2003, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

Ok good . I do not have a utility bill since my hubby is on campus and bills are in his name. We do have our bank account in both our names and i have my medical bills and other stuff in both our names. Will those do?.I have so many things to show I live here. I do know I can fish out something from my mail bag. Thanx
Old Dec 17th 2003, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

Ok good . I do not have a utility bill since my hubby is on campus and bills are in his name. We do have our bank account in both our names and i have my medical bills and other stuff in both our names. Will those do?.I have so many things to show I live here. I do know I can fish out something from my mail bag. Thanx
Joint bank accounts are fine - it is just to prove where you live. I am finding that most of the documents that government departments request, they don't even ask for...it is just safer to take them along just in case.
Old Dec 17th 2003, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

thank you grioghair, you have been the greatest. Ill let you know what happens.
Old Dec 17th 2003, 11:53 am
Blissful

"Michael D. Young" <[email protected]> wrote in

> SSA only needs your SSN to post your earnings to your earnings record and
pay benefits when the time comes. Any other use could be either authorized
or
    > unauthorized use. Government use is covered by the Privacy Act.

Speaking of privacy and identify theft, recently a malicious individual
hired a PI to do a un-authorized back ground check on myself.

This individual now has my SS, DOB, Previous addresses and has conducted a
credit check.
I know this because he posted partial details on the internet to prove this.

I feel like my right to privacy has been invaded and I do not feel
comfortable knowing that this individual could do anything with my personal
data.

Is there anything I can do, any agencies I can notify that this person could
jeopardous my financial security?

Old Dec 17th 2003, 3:09 pm
Michael D. Young

Blissful wrote:

> "Michael D. Young" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > > SSA only needs your SSN to post your earnings to your earnings record and
    > pay benefits when the time comes. Any other use could be either authorized
    > or
    > > unauthorized use. Government use is covered by the Privacy Act.
    > Speaking of privacy and identify theft, recently a malicious individual
    > hired a PI to do a un-authorized back ground check on myself.
    > This individual now has my SS, DOB, Previous addresses and has conducted a
    > credit check.
    > I know this because he posted partial details on the internet to prove this.
    > I feel like my right to privacy has been invaded and I do not feel
    > comfortable knowing that this individual could do anything with my personal
    > data.
    > Is there anything I can do, any agencies I can notify that this person could
    > jeopardous my financial security?

Unless the person uses or does something with your SSN that's illegal there
isn't much you can do to that person, since he or she probably got your SSN from
a third party that you gave it.

Right now you can file a report with the FTC. There is info on these Websites
to tell you what you can do.

http://www.consumer.gov/idtheft/

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/...php?p_faqid=77

Now if someone misuses you SSN for work or messes up your credit and you try to
fix it and it still happens, you could apply to SSA for a new SSN.

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/...php?p_faqid=79