Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

So much for Fed-Ex next day....

So much for Fed-Ex next day....

Old Aug 31st 2002, 1:24 pm
Morkai Kurst

Default So much for Fed-Ex next day....

Oh well, Fed-Ex say they can't do next working day to the UK - Takes a minimum of 2
working days and they also say when it does get there depends entirely on how long
customs keep hold of it. UPS say the same thing.

So much for next day worldwide that I remember from the adverts....

Looks like I'm going to my interview without my affidavit... oh well hope someone
there is feeling kind on the day and will let me bring it later without having to
reschedule an interview.

It'll make an interesting interview experience I guess :-/

Morkai

Old Aug 31st 2002, 2:14 pm
Girard Bourque

Default Re: So much for Fed-Ex next day....

I have used UPS a lot and the only items that were even stopped in customs was boxes
and not the documents. So there might be a chance I don't know when your interview
is, but they still might be an option. Also give the consulate a call, and if they
say you must absolutely have it, I kjnow my company has sent things "air freight"
they put it on an airplane in California, tell the airline to hold it and I go to the
airport and pick it up. I have received things in a matter of 7 to 8 hours after
placing the call (good connections). US Air calls it PDQ service. Don't know what
the others call it? But Might keep you from having to reschedule.

Jerry

Old Aug 31st 2002, 2:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Morkai Kurst:
Oh well, Fed-Ex say they can't do next working day to the UK - Takes a minimum of 2
working days and they also say when it does get there depends entirely on how long
customs keep hold of it. UPS say the same thing.

Morkai
Don't blame FedEx or UPS, it is down the time zones between the US and the UK.

Think about it - if you take a packet to a FedEx office in, say, New York at 9am. They dispatch it, say 1 hour later, with other packets to their airport center and schedule it for a flight, say another hour after that. By the time the flight leaves it is 11am EST. A flight from NY to London is going to take 7 hours, so it is 6pm EST by the time it arrives in London, where it is now 11pm.

The courier packets now have to be unloaded and to clear customs in the UK. This isn't going to happen until some time the next day.

Customs move in their own weird and wonderful way and deal with things at there own time, which could be at 9am, or it could be at 4pm, who knows when, but no reputable courier is going to stake there reputation on the vagaries of the customs service that clears their packages.

My time-line above is the best possible one (Boston excepted). If you hand your packet to the courier office later in the day, or if you live in, say, Chicago or Atlanta a flight to the UK may not leave until the afternoon.

A flight from Chicago or Atlanta will also be 2-3 hours longer, and won't arrive in the UK until the next morning. By the time the plane is unloaded there is no way that courier packets could clear customs even by lunchtime.

So, no next day service to the UK! .... but don't blame the courier services.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 31st 2002 at 2:47 pm.
Old Aug 31st 2002, 2:40 pm
Jonathan_atc

What happened that it came down to the last minute?

--
Jonathan_ATC "Morkai Kurst" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
uk
    > Oh well, Fed-Ex say they can't do next working day to the UK - Takes a minimum of 2
    > working days and they also say when it does get there depends entirely on how long
    > customs keep hold of it. UPS say the same thing.
    > So much for next day worldwide that I remember from the adverts....
    > Looks like I'm going to my interview without my affidavit... oh well hope someone
    > there is feeling kind on the day and will let me bring it later without having to
    > reschedule an interview.
    > It'll make an interesting interview experience I guess :-/
    > Morkai

Old Aug 31st 2002, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

peaches is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DHL

Have you tried DHL sometimes I find they are faster but they are more strict on what you can send and documentation.
Old Aug 31st 2002, 4:28 pm
Sheila

Have your fiancé book a flight for Tuesday to the Gatwick airport and you pick him up
and he spends the night with you in the hotel and attends the interview with you on
Wednesday and of course he brings the signed papers with him and he then fly's back
home the next day and you have you visa in your hand.....:-) If only it were that
easy huh. Clive's interview in on Tuesday so you may pass him on the roads Tuesday
afternoon.On the serious side now....If I were you I would bring the photo copies
with me to the interview and if they ask for the originals explain to them what
happened. I believe it was Roger that had to go back a few days later with more proof
and he got his visa when he returned with the proper paper work....I don't think I
would call and ask for them to reschedule because I would be afraid that they would
make the date much later. I would take my chances with the photo copies and just be
prepared to go back later on during the week with the original papers and to pick up
my visa.....Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
--
Cheers, Sheila (U.S.C.) Clive (U.K.C.)

Texas Service Center / London Embassy

6/17/02- Mailed I-129f petition to TSC from the United Kingdom

6/18/02-Received first NOA from TSC

6/19/02-Mailed London Embassy paper work off to open provisional file

6/20/02- Received 2nd NOA from TSC

6/21/02- Received Interview date for London on 9/03/02 "Morkai Kurst"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Oh well, Fed-Ex say they can't do next working day to the UK - Takes a minimum of 2
    > working days and they also say when it does get there depends entirely on how long
    > Looks like I'm going to my interview without my affidavit... oh well hope someone
    > there is feeling kind on the day and will let me bring it later without having to
    > Morkai

Old Aug 31st 2002, 4:32 pm
Sheila

Morkai I should have said that Rogers return trip had nothing to do with the
affidavit of support. If I remember right it had something to do with needing more
paper work from his ex to state that he could bring his daughter with him to the
U.S....just wanted to clear that up...

--
Cheers, Sheila (U.S.C.) Clive (U.K.C.)

Texas Service Center / London Embassy

6/17/02- Mailed I-129f petition to TSC from the United Kingdom

6/18/02-Received first NOA from TSC

6/19/02-Mailed London Embassy paper work off to open provisional file

6/20/02- Received 2nd NOA from TSC

6/21/02- Received Interview date for London on 9/03/02 "Morkai Kurst"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Morkai

Old Aug 31st 2002, 5:50 pm
Mrtravel

Morkai Kurst wrote:

I think you remembered incorrectly.

Old Aug 31st 2002, 10:51 pm
Morkai Kurst

> I think you remembered incorrectly.

your right, those adverts were for DHL.. Oh well

Old Aug 31st 2002, 11:03 pm
Morkai Kurst

"Sheila" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Have your fiancé book a flight for Tuesday to the Gatwick airport and you pick him
    > up and he spends the night with you in the hotel and attends the interview with you
    > on Wednesday and of course he brings the signed papers with him and he then fly's
    > back home the next day and you have you visa in your hand.....:-) If only it were
    > that easy huh. Clive's interview in on Tuesday so you may pass him on the roads
    > Tuesday afternoon.On the serious side now....If I were you I would bring the photo
    > copies with me to the interview and if they ask for the originals explain to them
    > what happened.
I
    > believe it was Roger that had to go back a few days later with more proof and he
    > got his visa when he returned with the proper paper work....I don't think I would
    > call and ask for them to reschedule because I would be
afraid
    > that they would make the date much later. I would take my chances with the photo
    > copies and just be prepared to go back later on during the week with the original
    > papers and to pick up my visa.....Good luck and let us know
how
    > it turns out.

Oh wouldn't that be nice Aye that is what I'm going to do - He is going to scan
everything when he gets to work tuesday morning (I knew I should have bought a
scanner for home) and email it to me, so I at least have it all there to show them.

I really can't see this being a problem unless someone is just having a bad day
and wants to take it out on the next poor sod to walk up to the desk. The info is
all there and it's all notorised it's just not the original ink on paper. So
fingers crossed. I remember Rogers dealings and that is what gave me the idea
about taking copies and hopefully them letting me take the originals down there a
couple days later.

Good luck to Clive likewise, I shall look out for the guy bouncing down oxford street
in absolute glee while I find my hotel

Morkai

oh, p.s for Rete - I have a pad and pen ready to take with me so I can note down
times and other important bits (I have a really lousy memory so I don't think I'll
try and write up an experience from that Never fear Oh Greatest Mother Of Nags I
shall not forget...*grin*

Old Sep 1st 2002, 12:27 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Morkai Kurst:
"oh, p.s for Rete - I have a pad and pen ready to take with me so I can note down
times and other important bits (I have a really lousy memory so I don't think I'll
try and write up an experience from that Never fear Oh Greatest Mother Of Nags I
shall not forget...*grin*

Thanks ;-)

A suggestion would be for him to fax you the paperwork rather than scanning them. Also a cover page to the US Consulate itself with a phone number and fax number where they can reach him on the day of the interview. One case many years ago in the UK was similar and the Consulate allowed the USC, after they personally spoke with him, to fax to their number the affidavit of support. I only recall this happening once and as I said it was many years ago. Faxed copies will at least include the number faxed from and seem more official than scanned copies.

Good Luck

Rete
Old Sep 1st 2002, 1:05 am
Morkai Kurst

"Rete" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by Morkai Kurst:
    > > "oh, p.s for Rete - I have a pad and pen ready to take with me so I can note down
    > > times and other important bits (I have a really lousy memory so I don't think
    > > I'll try and write up an experience from that Never fear Oh Greatest Mother Of
    > > Nags I shall not forget...*grin*
    > >
    > Thanks ;-)
    > A suggestion would be for him to fax you the paperwork rather than scanning them.
    > Also a cover page to the US Consulate itself with a phone number and fax number
    > where they can reach him on the day of the interview. One case many years ago in
    > the UK was similar and the Consulate allowed the USC, after they personally spoke
    > with him, to fax to their number the affidavit of support. I only recall this
    > happening once and as I said it was many years ago. Faxed copies will at least
    > include the number faxed from and seem more official than scanned copies.
    > Good Luck
    > Rete
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 1st 2002, 1:13 am
Morkai Kurst

> Thanks ;-)
    > A suggestion would be for him to fax you the paperwork rather than scanning them.
    > Also a cover page to the US Consulate itself with a phone number and fax number
    > where they can reach him on the day of the interview. One case many years ago in
    > the UK was similar and the Consulate allowed the USC, after they personally spoke
    > with him, to fax to their number the affidavit of support. I only recall this
    > happening once and as I said it was many years ago. Faxed copies will at least
    > include the number faxed from and seem more official than scanned copies.

That's a thought, hopefully their fax machine will be working by tuesday - CenturyTel
just moved their entire internet dept to a new building and chaos is still running
high, I'll take his cellphone and work number with me as well just in case. Attempts
to wake him up before 1.30pm (7.30am his time) could be interesting though, I'll tell
him to stick his phone by his ear

Thanks again

Morkai