Wikiposts

So many things..

Old Mar 24th 2004, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

ShirlelyandRay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default So many things..

My fiance and I are planning on filing for the K1 Visa after his visit in May. Our questions are he has been a truck driver in the UK for 20 some years. Will he have to get CDL license here? And he did not graduate from school there, he went into the army. Will he have to get a GED to work here in the states? What all should he ask for from previsious employers before he comes here? I do believe that he will have to take the GED to get a job here. And I feel that his CDL license will not transfer here either. Has anyone had this experience? We would love to hear of how you dealt with all of this if you have.
Thanks,
Ray and Shirley
Old Mar 24th 2004, 10:22 am
Queen of the Obvious

KimJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: So many things..

Originally posted by ShirlelyandRay
My fiance and I are planning on filing for the K1 Visa after his visit on May. Our questions are he has been a truck driver in the UK for 20 some years. Will he have to get CDL license here? And he did not graduate from school there, he went into the army. Will he have to get a GED to work here in the states? What all should he ask for from previsious employers before he comes here? I do believe that he will have to take the GED to get a job here. And I feel that his CDL license will not transfer here either. Has anyone had this experience? We would love to hear of how you dealt with all of this if you have.
Thanks,
Ray and Shirley
Hi -

I can't answer your question about the CDL license for sure, but my guess would be that he has to re-apply here in the states.

As far as a GED or high school diploma being required in order to work in the US - it's not a law, but it could be a requirement of the company he applies to.
Old Mar 24th 2004, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

janadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond repute

To get the most specific info on the license, pull up the DMV for the state your in online. They will give you all the requirements.

And no, his CDL will not 'transfer' to here - he'll have to take the test for the state you're in. He should pass w/no probs no? since he's been driving for so long ... still, get the book the book for him so he can start to study it if you're very concerned. Of course road signs & rules here differ from there so it'd be in his best interest to bone up a bit I would think.

"GED to get a job here" - you're throwing too wide a net. It all depends on the job.

Our experience:

My husband's drivers lic did not 'transfer' here. NY does allow him to legally drive using the lic from his native country for a certain period of time - then he has to get a NY drivers lic. He is also, actually, interesting in gettting a CDL & so is studying for that test.

He did complete high school in his native country but he is still taking a GED class a) to improve his english, reading writing skills etc b) for self edification & wanting to know more about US history,e tc.

My fiance and I are planning on filing for the K1 Visa after his visit in May. Our questions are he has been a truck driver in the UK for 20 some years. Will he have to get CDL license here? And he did not graduate from school there, he went into the army. Will he have to get a GED to work here in the states? What all should he ask for from previsious employers before he comes here? I do believe that he will have to take the GED to get a job here. And I feel that his CDL license will not transfer here either. Has anyone had this experience? We would love to hear of how you dealt with all of this if you have.
Thanks,
Ray and Shirley
Old Mar 24th 2004, 8:49 pm
capt. kirk

Thanks,
Ray and Shirley

sounds like you have your plate full