Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

So confused by marriage visas!

So confused by marriage visas!

Old Apr 20th 2018, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

Dougie05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default So confused by marriage visas!

Hi all, this is my first post. I've been a guest visitor for a long time, as my partner is from USA and I'm from the UK and we've gratefully received a wealth of information from here.

We're engaged and have the idea of getting married on the UK but then me moving to America later.

She's coming over here in July for 2 weeks and we were hoping to do it then, is this possible?!

What I've read seems to indicate that she would need to be here for 5 weeks at least for us to get married and as we're both full time employed, this just isn't feasible. They seem to want us both to go and give notice at least 28 days prior, and show that she's been living here for at least 7 days? (Why, I have no idea), before we can marry.

Anyone got any tips or pointers or solid advice here?

It's a genuine, albeit unusual, relationship, we've known each other for over a decade and have met countless times.

Many thanks in advance.
Dougie
Old Apr 20th 2018, 9:50 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So confused by marriage visas!

Those all the laws of the UK for marriage to a foreigner who is not resident in the UK. Has been that way for a while.

When she comes to visit, go to another country to get married, i.e. France, Belgium or Amsterdam.

When you are ready to talk about the US process, please come back and the been-there-done-that people will be happy to assist.
Old Apr 20th 2018, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

Oh so we can both go to Amsterdam and get legitimately married there?!
We actually talked about visiting Amsterdam this year!
Old Apr 20th 2018, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dougie05
Oh so we can both go to Amsterdam and get legitimately married there?!
We actually talked about visiting Amsterdam this year!
If Dutch law allows it, absolutely. The US does not care where you get married, just that it's been legally performed wherever you do it. Minimum residence periods are more the rule than not though, so you'll need to research the rules wherever you chose thoroughly.
Old Apr 20th 2018, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rpjs
If Dutch law allows it, absolutely. The US does not care where you get married, just that it's been legally performed wherever you do it. Minimum residence periods are more the rule than not though, so you'll need to research the rules wherever you chose thoroughly.
Ok, didn't think of this! Thank you very much!

If anyone has any further insight, such as where to go, that would be awesome!
Old Apr 20th 2018, 10:02 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Instead of her coming to you, you come to the US and get married here. Depending on where she lives you can marry the next day after getting your license. She can research what is needed in her state. There is also Vegas.
Old Apr 20th 2018, 10:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Instead of her coming to you, you come to the US and get married here. Depending on where she lives you can marry the next day after getting your license. She can research what is needed in her state. There is also Vegas.
This would be my option too......
Old Apr 20th 2018, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Assuming much easier as the marriage certificate will be in English.
Old Apr 21st 2018, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

kbales is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband and I looked in to all different options for where to get married. If I remember correctly, I think Malta is an incredibly easy place to visit and get married in. However, when we decided that we would be going the spouse visa route rather than the fiancé visa, we realized that getting married in the US was hands down the easiest and best option for us.
Old Apr 21st 2018, 1:27 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Do a John and Yoko and elope to Gibraltar.

Visit Gibraltar - Marriages and Civil Partnerships

https://www.gibraltar.gov.gi/new/mar...l-partnerships
Old Apr 21st 2018, 1:59 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kbales
My husband and I looked in to all different options for where to get married. If I remember correctly, I think Malta is an incredibly easy place to visit and get married in. However, when we decided that we would be going the spouse visa route rather than the fiancé visa, we realized that getting married in the US was hands down the easiest and best option for us.
I agree, although I did the K1 route in 2004. Quick marriage in USA is apparently easy & virtually foolproof.
Old Apr 21st 2018, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, lots of places in the US where you can just walk in and get married on demand, like Las Vegas, but also no reason you couldn't just nicely ask a church minister to do it on the spot, sometimes they charge for it but it's nominal like $100.

Getting married on the Continent can be a different process, I got married in Italy, there had to be a public notice period, you also couldn't necessarily choose the date (had to choose from a bank of available dates) etc. No residence period though, but I was told repeatedly by a number of different officials to be sure to get the passport stamp when I entered, sometimes on the Continent officials get a bit lax about that but this can cause a problem with officialdom if doing something like getting married.

So if the idea is the path of least resistance, the US might be easier.

Don't wave off what others have said about the English-language marriage certificate, if it's in a Continental language you may have to repeatedly get it officially translated and officially certified, the cost of which adds up.
Old Apr 21st 2018, 2:20 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

As a non-EU passport holder she will need a visa to marry in the U.K. This is a recent addition (within the last decade) due to a huge increase in fraudulent marriages between citizens of various EU countries and citizens of developing countries. So another location might be more convenient.
Old Apr 21st 2018, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

Thank you very much for all the responses so far.
It's beginning to look an awful lot like we can't marry here this July.

The tickets are already purchased for her to come over in July, the idea of getting married here instead of America didn't come up until afterwards.

That leaves us with 2 options it would seem;
Wait until I'm in America next, or go abroad somewhere while she's here...

Which is the better option? I don't believe that I can go to America and we get married and I just stay there, I'm sure there's a rule against that.
Old Apr 21st 2018, 3:08 pm
Concierge

Yes, it is illegal to do that. It is preconceived intent. But ... can you not afford to book a cheapie flight to the US in May or June for the sole purpose of marrying. It need only be a few days, a long weekend. Go to Vegas on a Thursday evening, marry on Friday, two day honeymoon and back you go to the UK. She comes in July for her holiday and you have your long honeymoon.

In the interim, she and you gather the paperwork for your CR-1 visa (form I-130). She completes it, gets the supporting docs from you, i.e. long form birth certificate, marriage certificate and mails it in and the process is started. 10 to 12 months later (or sooner if the US portion speeds up) you will have your interview at the US Embassy and get your shiny new CR-1 in your passport and can come and live in the US.

Or get married elsewhere in Europe. The only issue is the translation of the marriage certificate. Realistically, how hard can that be to have it translated?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.